mailing a long gun to another state

Discussion in 'General Rifle' started by dockdog, Mar 30, 2011.

1. dockdog

dockdog G&G Newbie

I've done quite a bit of online research recently to find out how to mail a hunting rifle to a family member in another state. I found many different answers. I talked to an FFL where I just picked up a handgun I bought off GunBrokers. They told me to just mail the bolt in one box and the rifle in another and it would be considered parts and not have to be mailed to an FFL. They do not accept guns not sent from a FFL. Would anyone mind providing their thoughts on this? I've read that the USPS can be a real pain and UPS sometimes damages packages.
  2. travisg96

travisg96 G&G Regular

Send it in a hard case. You can ship it to yourself at another address but you are the only one who is supposed to open the package. I would send it UPS and insure it. I have never had a problem with them. I will just emphasize ship it in a hard case.
    Travis
  3. HK770

HK770 G&G Enthusiast

My understanding is that a reciver is the firearm. That must go through an FFL as it is fed law.
  4. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

HK is correct. It MUST be shipped to an FFL either 01 or if eligible 03 ffl to be legal. Break that law and it will be a felony.

Shipping the bolt separate from the receiver does nothing but cost you two shipping charges. If the box has a receiver in it the RECEIVER is considered the firearm bolt or not.
  5. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

you can legally ship it to yourself, or to an FFL. doesnt matter how many pieces its in, the reciever is considered to be a firearm.
  6. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Newbie

If you add that you can also ship it direct to the Manufacturer, this statement is correct.

UPS may or may not take it, depending on your area. Fed-Ex usually will.

I have had no problems with shipping long guns from my local shipping center to FFLs and manufacturers.

Just make sure you package it to be gorilla proof.
  7. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

As travis and Ten Man said, ship it gorilla-proof, in a locked and sealed hard case. Most of the plastic and foam hard cases I have run across have points for two locks. Put a lock on one and zip-tie the other. If you are feeling paranoid, run a couple of turns of that fiber-tape used to secure boxes you really want to stay shut around it at a couple of points.

The fiber-tape and the zip-tie also provide you with a check as to whether the case was tampered with enroute to the destination. If you can get your hands on one -- they are not easy to find -- you could also use a customs seal of the sort used on cargo containers. Even if the box handlers were to have fiber-tape and zip-ties of the same kind as yours, the odds of their having a replacement customs seal approach zero. Plus, as they all have serial numbers, they can't fake it. I don't know if you want to be that paranoid or not!
  8. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

You can legally ship a long gun to yourself by mail at your brothers or cousins or friends place via US Mail. You ship it addressed to:
    My Uncle/
    1234 Buckwheat Ave/
    C/O Your name/
    Buttsniff, Arkansas 34523

There must be no markings that identify it as a gun. There cannot be any ammunition included. Insure it and send it Registered Mail with Adult Signature required. Sending the bolt the same way in a 2nd package ensures they can't use it in a crime. But I usually don't recommend this (why pay all the extra when it could have went with the original package, and I doubt they want a 30-06 bolt action to do a bank). Registered Mail is just that !! It has to be signed for everywhere it stops or is handled !! Its insured for replacement value if it is lost or stolen (DON'T FORGET THE SCOPE AND SLING IN THE VALUE). Most Postal workers don't even know this is legal. If you don't believe me, read the Postal Code or the BATFE Regs !! If there is an issue about you not being on the other end to receive it, well your plans fell through due to work, or an untimely family incident !! Its all perfectly legal, read it !!

Just remember this is for long guns only, ALL handguns must go from FFL to FFL !!
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  9. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

i would certainly hope the manufacturer has an FFL!!! LOL
  10. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Newbie

Except for possibly Montana, now.

I understand they recently passed a law that allows gun manufacturers in Montana to sell guns to Montanans without any Federal intervention, because there is no interstate commerce involved.

I do not know if this is a fact, but I think I read that a month or so ago.
  11. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

I read that too in the past. I think you are correct in that they have challenged BATFE on intrastate commerce.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  12. cooker300

cooker300 G&G Enthusiast

heres what i found out last year:

heres i did how ever find out today that UPS wont and cant ship guns parts unless you have a FFL. the lady at the local UPS told me it was against the LAW for them to ship any part of a gun unless your a dealer.

when i ask why she told me that its because i could ship the wood part and someone else could ship the barrel and then someone could die. i laughed when i said its a broken stock. then i said to her that i guess brown cant do a damn thing for me and went to the post office and ask the guy there can i ship this back to the factory and he said sure why wouldnt you be able to. i told him what happened and he laughed as he was helping me put in the box. then he said that they were stupid over there.
  13. cheapblaster

cheapblaster G&G Enthusiast

The UPS lady is full of it. You can legally ship a firearm to an FFL holder. Any body can, you do not need to be licensed to do so. UPS requires that handguns be sent by air, that's their only policy. If the FFL holder is an 03 holder, the gun must be C&R eligible. But we are talking about PARTS here. What utter nonsense she gave you.

As to pretending to send the gun to yourself C/O your relative, that is rather shady. Make your own choice.
  14. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

15. CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan G&G Newbie

Didn't they recently do that in Wyoming as well?