Making Your Own Sabots?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BarryHalls, Mar 15, 2010.

1. BarryHalls

BarryHalls G&G Enthusiast

Is it possible to make your own sabot wrappings from plastic or wax? I want to get into muzzle loading partly for the appeal of making my own bullets. I also like the notion of making sabots. Any thoughts?
  2. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

As cheap as sabots are , just buy them...
  3. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Enthusiast

I am with Moose, Just buy the sabot and cast some really hard lead bullets to put in them.
  4. Idaho Dave

Idaho Dave G&G Regular

I'm not sure why but this sounds interesting to me. If you do get any ideas or try any post your findings
  5. BarryHalls

well half of the reason I'd like to make sabots is to get a .30 caliber bullet out of a .50 caliber rifle.

I know this sounds strange but I have my reasons. Are there production sabots for this? If there are I'll just stock up on those.
  6. Idaho Dave

Idaho Dave G&G Regular

dosent sound strange to me I like casting 50 cal balls and maxi balls I have never even considered a sabot but thinking of the possibilities it sounds interesting to me. I cant hunt with sabots here but I do target shoot with them for fun
  7. MLN1963

MLN1963 G&G Newbie

I can't find any for sale but see that they have existed in the past. Apparently they didn't pan out and from what I can see they weren't real accurate.

*edit* I'm speaking about .50 Cal sabots that hold .30 cal bullets.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  8. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

They make sabots for 50 cal Muzzleloaders with jacketed .45 bullets...One thing though , you cannot shoot them if your gun has a muzzlebrake like the Armalite AR-50...It will destroy the Brake and may hurt you in the process.
  9. Idaho Dave

Idaho Dave G&G Regular

this is true and they are pretty accurate I have some and have shot them before. but people should read their state regs before hunting with them in Idaho you can't hunt muzzle loader season with these, only pure lead projectiles. it would be interesting to clock the speed of these compared to a ball or maxi ball that is one of the reasons I think it might be neat to try and make your own with varying weights
  10. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Well,

I agree with Mooseman. However, if you really want to do this then study
    what is really needed and just do it.
  11. BarryHalls

Well, I was most hoping to get a deal on the common TC Omega in .50 and use 30-06 or .308 corlokt or other hunting slugs. I was thinking I could get 30-06 ballistics out of a muzzle loader even if I had to make my own sabots with molds like bullet molds.

I'll settle for the Hornady .50 slugs, which are almost too good, I guess and making my own lead for 'plinking'
  12. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Depends on the rate of rifling in relation to bullet weight. My inline BP rifle is .50 cal and likes the .45 pistol-style bullets in sabots, but hates .50 round balls and Buffalo Bullets, while the old-school Hawkin rifles have different rifling and prefer the roundballs, don't sometimes do well with saboted bullets.
  13. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Enthusiast

I doubt you will ever get 30-06 ballistics out of a muzzleloader, BP will not push bullets that fast, there is a physical limitation on the powder
  14. BarryHalls

Wouldn't be BP, would be modern smokeless with a modern rifle.
  15. sniper762

sniper762 G&G Enthusiast

google sabbots. there's a company in utah that sells .30 and .50 sabbots. these are the ones like used in accelerators, but should do fine in muzzleloaders.
  16. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Enthusiast

oh ok, I get it you wanna shoot 30 cal bullets out of a 50 BMG?
  17. rebel727

rebel727 G&G Enthusiast

My sabots are made from pillow ticking for my .54 round balls.:tounge-in-cheek:
  18. Kaybe

Kaybe G&G Enthusiast

I undestand what you want to do. But, you have to be EXACT when you have a sabot. All the sides have to be exact, the bullet has to be perfectly centered and so on or your accuracy will be really..."stinky". I hope to get some sabots to go from .30 cal to .22 cal. Shotgun News has an ad for them in there somewhere. The military had sub caliber devices to shoot 30-06 out of a 50 BMG, if I am not mistaken. But that was years ago. Buy them if you can. Making them would more difficult, making them to be accurate would be even more difficult. Go for it.
  19. BarryHalls

hmmm those would probably work perfectly for shooting .30 slugs out of a .50 barrel.

I'll try to find those then. thanks!