Marlin 22 Mag (WMR)

Discussion in 'Marlin' started by pmoney1983, Sep 28, 2012.

1. pmoney1983

pmoney1983 G&G Newbie

I am looking at purchasing a Marlin 22 Mag (WMR). They want $199.00, which isnt a bad deal at all, it has the tube magazine, which IMO is the best there is, more holding capacity. Has a black synthetic stock, with iron sights, bolt action. I have looked at this gun on 4 different occasions, so I am pretty serious. I would like some insight on this type of round and gun, looking to purchase in two weeks. Thanks guys.
  2. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Enthusiast

Re Marlin

I would grab it if I were you. I have a Marlin 925M I bought a few years back and am totally satified. Seem to be a damn good gun for the money. Sighted it with CCI 40 HP ammo and it groups very well. As far as game I have taken fox and 1 coyote with it. Will take large varmints if distance is not stretched too far. That price is fair considering new X22 models are going for $250 I believe. Hop you get it and good luck
  3. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

Its more fun than the numbers would lead one to believe...

My first Marlin was a bolt-action Marlin 25MN,...which lead to almost two dozen more Marlins of various types and calibers...
    freeking addictive...awesome performance in an inexpensive rifle!!

Back to .22WMR, it is one of my favorite calibers...lets see...what do I have now...
    Marlin 25MN & 922M
    Grendel P-30 & R-31 (some of the FEW semi-auto .22WMR's that actually work!!)

On my Hot List to Find are...
    the Marlin XT22-MVSR (bull barrel), H&R 700 (bolt),
    Marlin 57M (modern lever), Marlin 1895M (cowboy lever)
    Keltec PMR-30 & RMR-30 (semi-auto)

.22Magnum is Truly Fun, can take small game up to coyote with no problem...have been known to take bigger, but it ain't exactly optimal for that...

I'd call it the next best step after beating .22LR to death...gives you double the performance without being centerfire expensive.

Ammo Info...Marlins like FAT bullets...like the 40-grain CCI Maximags & the 50-grain Federal Game-Shok rounds :)
    Some of the smaller, newer rounds have impressive speed and decent precision...but EACH .22WMR tends to be a little different in what it likes to eat!!
    So grab a box of everything you can find, and spend a weekend at the range seeing what works best in YOUR rifle!!

Don't know if you are getting an 883, 983, or XT22T-series, but they're all pretty darn good :)

Do look your rifle over Carefully, like you were inspecting a used gun at a gun show...just in case you run into a Manufacturing error...
    I don't trust anyone, not even new...MFR's are leaving too many folks to find the QC errors and report them themselves...
    instead of catching the goofs before they leave...probably because there are so many people like me that'll fix 'em and not bug 'em too much ;)

Oh, and Boyd's Riflestocks has a NICE selection of Laminates for the Marlin (look for 800/900 series stocks)
    they've not updated the XT's, but they only take a hair more inletting out of the trigger area, as the XT trigger is slightly bigger.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  4. Da Mc

Da Mc G&G Newbie

.22 wmr

Sounds like a good deal to me. Marlin is a respected name in the firearms industry and it being a bolt action, as long as it's in good condition, you should be happy with the accuracy of the rifle. The .22 magnum will do anything the .22lr will but with more devastating effects. The velocity is increased so the impact on water bottles is much more noticeable. It sounds like a good target gun and varmint or small game shooter. The composite stock should be a help weightwise when your'e lugging it around in the field. Enjoy and happy shooting!
  5. MosinRuger

MosinRuger G&G Enthusiast

Do it! I picked up a marlin 25m a little while ago and its a fun and sweet shooting rifle. I got it used for i think $125 or $150. Threw on an old Bushnell 3-9x40 scope and she shoots great. I like that its kinda old and beat up a little. The .22 mag round is great too. its more more of a cartridge than .22lr, but still fairly cheap to shoot. I agree with what Big Shrek said about the bullet. mine tends to like the traditional bullets better than the new lightweight super high velocity, it actually shoot pretty terribly with the hornady v max .22 mags.

Enjoy! then once you have that you can get this.

Rough Rider SA <br>Small Bore Revolvers - Heritage Manufacturing Inc
  6. chesterwin

chesterwin Super Moderator

Dang feller! We're gonna have to find a doc. to get you some meds. LOL! What's that old saying? "Hook, line and sinker." LOL. I saw the post where you broke down and bought that Winchester.
  7. srt 10 jimbo

srt 10 jimbo G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

i picked up a marlin XT in 17HMR with a bull barrel and wood stock for $229, they had it in 22WMR for $249 . this was at Outdoor world . both come with a 7 and a 4 round magazines. they also sell 7 round magazines there which in my opinion is the way to go. Put a Boyd's stock on mine.

Attached Files:

8. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

It is Really, Really hard to pass up an $115 Winchester Lever...even a model 250...
    one might say Impossible ;)
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  9. pmoney1983

pmoney1983 G&G Newbie

Thanks for the responses guys. I may be purchasing it in two weeks, I am going to remove the buttstock cap, since the butt stock is hallow and cheap feeling because of this hallowness, I will then fill it with foam, to help with the weight but mostly to help me overcome this issue with the cheap feel or sound on the butt stock. I dont want a wood stock, mostly because of price. I want to stay under $200.00. I am pretty much sold on this rifle. I am also gonna be buying another .22 lr in about 1 week or less, but its not a Marlin, so I wont post about it here, or any questions I have about it. Thanks again guys.
  10. sardine

sardine G&G Newbie

Whale Hail. I been trying to buy that same one for about a year now. Bolt action, tube fed, nylon stock 22wmr. Can't get one. No body has one to get. If you know when they will make some more let me know. Checked from here in Californy up to Idaho, no go. I called Marlin and they don't even know. It's enough to piss off the pope.