Marlin 30/30.Any Great Stories Out There?

Discussion in 'Marlin' started by redhed, Nov 19, 2007.

1. redhed

redhed G&G Newbie

My husband recently sighted an old Marlin 336 at a local gun shop. It wasn't particularly pretty, but the minute I picked it up and worked the lever, I knew I had to own it.

At 240.00 dollars, the price was right and 24 hours later, it was mine.

A little research disclosed that it was manufactured for Western Auto in 1969 and that there were many Marlin 30/30s manufactured during that time period for every one from Sears to Western. Auto

Mine is a great gun. Accurate, low recoil for a 30 and reliable. It has quickly become my favorite rifle and eats whatever bullets we put in it whether hand loads or factory.

Anybody out there own a 30/30 with a similar history and what are your thoughts about your weapon?

My only regret is that you can't hunt deer in Illinois with it.:crying:
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  2. rckymtnboy

rckymtnboy G&G Newbie

I had that same model 30/30. I loved it. It was originally my dad's deer gun. Fun little saddle gun because it is so short in length. Do you have a scope on yours? Sorry to hear you can't use it for hunting there!
  3. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

It was SOLD by Western Auto - these are called "store brand" guns. Marlin still manufactured it. My buddy has one, as well as a regular Marlin, and he has his brother's Marlin 336 since his brother is stationed in Merry Olde England.
    I have the standard Marlin 336 too, made in 1976.

This last weekend, Keith and I were at the range. He had his brother's 336. His first couple shots were wild, on the 100 yard target.
    Then, he puts one into the bull!
    I told him, if he could do that two more times, I'd be impressed.
    His next two shots touched the third one, making one ragged hole! Hotdang!
    I looked at him and said, "Now, I'm impressed!" :)
  4. redhed

redhed G&G Newbie

I've thought about scoping my rifle. It's pretty darned accurate now just with the iron sights so I imagine that with a good scope it would be hard to beat.

I did that with my HiPoint 9 carbine and after about 3 months decided to take the Red Dot scope off of it because it was more accurate without the scope. The Red Dot would stay trued in on it for some reason.

My husband has been trying to talk me into refinishing the stock due to some water damage around the butt pad but so far I've left it stock. I would like to add sling mounts to it, though. Once again, I'm torn between having the convenience of a sling and not drilling holes in the stock. Any ideas?

BTW mine is pre-warning, pre-safety.
  5. jerry

jerry G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I feel your pain. Iv'e been itching to go to MO. so i can use my .308. Just need to do it. Not that far of a drive from Central IL.
  6. redhed

redhed G&G Newbie

Where about in Central Illinois? My husband and I are in the Western part of the state and I'm a transplanted Pekin gal.

7. jerry

jerry G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Peoria area myself. I know Pekin well. I make it to Western IL (Quincy) on business. If you and your husband ever want a caramel apple or some home made fudge from Mauries let me know, my wife works there.

Best Regards,
    Jerry
  8. two-70

two-70 G&G Newbie

my wife loves the heck outa her 30-30 but she is wanting to graduate up to something more powerfull, told her if she liked the lever action we would see bout getting her the new 308 marlin express
  9. redhed

redhed G&G Newbie

whow! Something more powerful than a 30-30? I'm impressed.

My Marlin loaded with factory rounds has all the kick I wanna handle. I think it's every bit as powerful as my Mosin's when it comes to hitting power with less recoil.

If I had another lever gun it would be in .357....or a .45....or maybe a .44...:09:

10. remchuck

remchuck G&G Newbie

mine was made for western auto also.the store brand name was revelation.i still hunt sometimes with that old gun.i was thinking about putting a sling on mine also,i just havent gotten around to it yet.
  11. Oxford

Oxford G&G Enthusiast

Jerry...come on down to MO to hunt. There's plenty of good sized deer left after my last two weekends hunting them in NW MO.

A Marlin 336 30.30 would work great. Mine's an old Winchester though. That lever rifle works great especially in brush and when you're carrying a heavy backpack.
  12. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

Yep I gota story...Once apon a Deer season I was snuggled up in my Deer stand, it was really cold that day.
    I Thank it was 20 degrees. I was 15 years old hunting at my cuzzins Deer camp.
    My cuzzin invited a kid that lived 2 houses up from his to go Deer hunting, well he was on a deer stand 500 or more yards from mine.
    As we sat there in our Deer stands waiting for a Deer we would motion at each other from time to time.
    What seemed like an eternity a Buck Deer crossed the pipeline right of way about 60 yards from his Deer stand, between him and me.
    Well he was look'in off to his right where he should of been looking to his left in my direction, where he could have a shot at his first Deer.

As the Deer was about to enter into the woods from crossing the 100 plus yards wide right of way I got down on my knee's and aimed at the Deers front shoulder. The kid in the other stand would not turn around and see the deer so I shot the Deer with my Marlin 30-30 and his legs crumpled out from under him. DEAD.
    The kid in the Deer stand heard me shoot but never saw the Deer until I walked up to him and said ...Why didn't you look this way ? I just shot a Deer almost right out from under your stand !
    So he got down and we walked over to find a 5 point Buck Deer.

The 30-30 bullet just cut the hide in the middle of his neck, there was not any meat damage what so ever.
    So we figured the bullet broke his neck.

Some of yall are probably thinking I shouldn't have shot up that way and I agree now but the right of way was very wide and the Deer was fixing to step into the woods so I shot him.
    Ever once in a while someone will bring up that unbelieveable shot I took with the Marlin 30-30 which was luck.

That night I went home and pleaded with my DAD that I needed a better rifle HAHAHA because something was wrong with the barrel the gun didn't shoot straight.
    I told him I would give up my Ruger single six in the trade for the Remington 742 30-06 and he said to get that pistol away from you I'll do it.
    So we went to TG&Y and traded the Marlin and the Ruger off....My daddy got so mad because the manager was a friend of his and the manager said he couldn't trade even he would have to have 10 Bucks and the 2 guns.
    He finaly can through for me and paid the 10 dollars difference...A.H
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2007
  13. redhed

redhed G&G Newbie

Does anybody have a Marlin 336 (known as the Revelation model) that was made for any store other than a Western Auto? It would be interesting to know if there are any other old 30.30's out there still in use that were made for any of the well known chain stores. I think they were also made for Sears, JC Penney's, Western Field, Cotter and Company,Glenfield, and Otasco.

House Brand Conversion
  14. JSnover

JSnover G&G Newbie

Yep! I still have the Ward's Western Field model 740 my father gave me. A few years ago I sent his Weaver 3-9 scope back to be rebuilt.
  15. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Suspended

Ya'll got me drooling talking about the old 30-30s, one of my favorite lever guns...along with the 32 Special. My deer hunting buddy dropped a nice sized three point buck this season with his Western Auto 30-30. Dropped the deer right now in its tracks.
  16. gettyleigh

gettyleigh G&G Newbie

R E D H E A D . . . . Looky here

your sling solution can be found at . . .

Ballistic Products-Shotgun Loop Sling (Camoflage)

It's called a "Shotgun Loop Sling," and can be found at Ballistic Products Inc.

I got an eye on one of those 30-30's made by Marlin under the Western Field brand name, and was snooping around to see what people thought of them. Seen your sling problem, and thought i'd offer my two cents. Sounds like it may be a good deal for 175.00 bucks, so i'm gonna do it.
  17. turner

turner Suspended

Congrats on finding a great deal on a very nice rifle. I'd recommend a couple of things reference points you mentioned about your new 30/30. I'd personally suggest that you do go ahead and scope it with a nice low power scope, say on the lines of a 2x or 1-3or4. I don't think a small sized scope of that type bothers the handling of that handy rifle one bit. If the stock shows considerable wear, I'd go ahead and add a coat of new finish or refinish to a durable long lasting finish. As it's a "store brand gun" you'll not hurt it's value as a collector one bit and make it a better looking rifle for your own use. I'd also recommend installing sling studs, one in the buttstock and the forward one as a clamp on the tube magazine, which means only one hole to be drilled in the buttstock. With the introduction of the new LE ammo all our old 30/30 carbines have become significantly improved and this added capability also calls for a low power scope to take advantage of the new performance. I have this scope(link below) mounted on my 336ER and it fits it like a glove. Good Luck with that rifle!

MidwayUSA - Weaver Classic V-Series Rifle Scope 1-3x 20mm Dual-X Reticle Matte
  18. Blackrock

Blackrock G&G Enthusiast

I just bought a Marlin 336 30-30 today while I was in Tucson. I just wanted a lever gun to fill out the empty slot in my gun safe. I like the Marlin over the Winchester for the side ejection and ability to easily mount a scope on it. It will go in a scabbard behind the seat in my truck loaded and ready for bear, dog, coyote, skunk, bobcat or whatever jumps out in front of me.
  19. charlie faro

charlie faro G&G Newbie

I love my Marlins. I bought my first used Marlin in 57 a model sc in .30-30, vintage 49, sn.F. A few years following bought two more sc models in .32sp. and .35 rem. Sn J and K. Have had absolute trust in all of my Marlins even for those big deer in N. New England. Keep the range inside 120 long steps and a .30-30 will do what is needed to be done so will the other two. Aging eyes demanded receiver sights but I believe nice on a lever, but that new .308 Express may be another story. MA does not allow rifles for deer either so I don,t hunt deer here.
  20. scienceman

scienceman G&G Enthusiast

I have a 1948 Marlin 336. it was handed down from my grandfather. I love to shoot this gun.