Marlin 37 Slide-action

Discussion in 'Marlin' started by big shrek, Jan 19, 2010.

1. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

Alrighty, since I did pretty darn well this weekend on making $$$, I went to a yard sale and found a Marlin model 37, 12XX serial number.
    [​IMG]

The main difference between the 37 & the others like the model 29 of the same time period, was the long mag tube and the 24" barrel.

The action is a little stiff, looks dirty inside, so a serious cleaning is definitely the first thing I'm gonna do, AFTER I dig up a set of dissassembly instructions.

It's the same action as the 39A, but with slightly different feed mechanism.

more pics...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeah, I know, my computer chair is a lousy backdrop...lol :D

I may go back to using the blue blankie...or my carpeted workbench...
  2. blaster

blaster G&G Enthusiast

THATS A BEAUTY! I have a soft spot for pump actions, especially .22 rifles
  3. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

Yep, I'm loving it, I think a simple inside & out cleaning...there's some waxy goop around the slide...action is kinda stiff, but functional. I'll know more when I take a day off to clean the living daylights out of it ;)

The ones I didn't buy...

A Savage model 29 Pre-WW2, Octagon Barrel, $300

A 1903? Centurion slide-action .22 $300

Marlin 1895-G $400

A Marlin Original Golden 39A, $350
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  4. blaster

blaster G&G Enthusiast

wow! that guy had some good guns for sale. I never see guns at yard sales around here unless its my own yard sale, then its becasuse I am trying to get rid of the few junk guns that I have accumulated.
  5. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

Anyone own a marlin slide??

I need to figure out the best way to make the action less stiff...it's still a lot harsher than I think it should be. Nowhere near as easy/smooth as the Savage 29 the guy had.
  6. blaster

blaster G&G Enthusiast

check and make sure the slide rails are not bent or dinged. that is often the cause for a stiff pump action
  7. chesterwin

chesterwin Super Moderator

Nice find Big Shrek. I bet it had to be hard to pass on that Golden 39A if it was in good condition!!!
  8. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

The Golden was in decent shape (about a 70 percenter, I think?)...and yeah, it did drive me bananas.

I wanted to take them ALL home, except the Centurion.

Oh, and after the first round of basic cleaning, soaked it in CLP Break-Free for a few hours & then wiped off the excess...LOT better. There was truly some hardcore carbon buildup in there that I can only guess was near as old as the rifle itself..took a little work with dental picks to get out. Nastyer than the stuff that was in the 1960 model 99-G, and that was some nasty old crud.

It also seems that one must VERY precisely have the finger-screw torqued Just Right...having it too tight or too loose makes a huge difference.

After this first cleaning & fiddling-with session, I'm MUCH happier with it :)

It's not as smooth as the Savage, but the Marlin trigger spring, as I noticed, is VERY heavy...made to last ten lifetimes, I would say. It definitely contributes to the force needed to rack the slide.

Ah, well, it's definitely a MAN's Rifle. Feels like it is rock solid, with a few rocks inside ;)

Crap, forgot to take pics...:-(
    Oh well, I'll clean it again after the first shooting session & take some pics then.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  9. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

Ok, first shooting sesion went better than expected :)

I did a backyard test into a large decaying pine tree...just wanted to check for proper function. The first shots I held it at arm's length sideways & pulled the trigger, just to make sure if the action popped and went backwards I'd be well out of the way. Everything went smoothly, so the rest were fired at a normal standing position.

For a rifle made in 1913, it's one tough old bird :)

Here's a look at the guts :) Figured I'd shoot some pics while cleaning.
    I actually wonder how similar to a model 39a this is??
    [​IMG]

Then the working half...a guy from another site was having problems with his model 29, so I pointed out a likely suspect....but it turned out to be that part AND something else.
    [​IMG]

Looks like this when out. (His pic)
    [​IMG]

I can't wait to actually get to the Marked Range and blast a few targets :)