Marlin 39A (lever action .22) -vrs- Henry (lever action .22)

Discussion in 'General Rifle' started by Hydra Sports, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Hydra Sports

Hydra Sports G&G Newbie

I am thinking of getting a .22lr for hunting squirrel. I will not be putting any scope on it so i will only be using the sites that come with it.

When compairing all aspects of the Marlin .22 and the Henry .22 which do you like most, why, what seems to be more of a tank between the two, accuracry and cleaning...

All comments will be looked at carefully. Again, this will be used by me for squirrel and rabbit hunting and then givin down to my 8 year old son whenever he is ready for a gun. So I need it to be accurate, easy to clean and durable.

Thanks!!!
  2. SUBMOA

SUBMOA G&G Enthusiast

My inlaws have both . both are fine rifles . the 39a is the one id choose but again both are very nice.
  3. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

If you're looking for pure American craftsmanship at its best, I'd go with the Marlin. Some of the Henry rifles were being built with plastic and pot-metal but I think they've improved them. They're both good guns so I'd go with the one that makes you feel best when you hold it.
  4. Alden

Alden G&G Newbie

Both are good guns. I agree with the comment above.

Just curious, why not a bolt action Savage .22 with a rimfire scope? that's what I use and it's just about perfect for squirrels for me.
  5. WisconsinHunter

WisconsinHunter G&G Newbie

I wouldnt trade my 1955 39a Mountie for anything! My favorite squirrel and plinking rifle hands down. Super easy to take down....just unscrew the large action screw on the right side of the right and then you just pop the two halves of the gun apart. The action is smooth as butter. Accuracy is great as well, easily 1" at 50 yards with a 4x32 scope. I'd say the 39 is more solidly built as well. Nothing wrong with a Henry, but I love my 39A Mountie!
  6. Hydra Sports

Hydra Sports G&G Newbie

I have a Savage Mark II FVSR with a scope on it but thought I would like to get something without a scope so if I go out in bad weather I don't have to worry about it.
  7. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Both are great rifles. I prefer the fit and finish of the Henry !!
  8. WisconsinHunter

WisconsinHunter G&G Newbie

I've heard that the paint like finish on the receiver of the Henry likes to chip off.
  9. Lightweight

Lightweight G&G Enthusiast

Both are excellent guns, but like others have said, I think the Marlin is something you can pass down to your Great-Great Grandkids; love the take-down capability. They seem pricey, but then I can't remember when I saw an honest deal on any firearms in my neck of the woods.
  10. justin39a

justin39a G&G Newbie

Love my old marlin, most accurate 22 I've ever shot, unbelievable

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
  11. reddnek

reddnek G&G Newbie

Marlin 39A vs Henry

I love the 39A (I have one) but i recently found a model 56 Marlin in a pawn shop that could become my squirrel rifle
  12. BarryHalls

BarryHalls G&G Enthusiast

Henry feels smoother to me. That's all I can say for sure.
  13. chesterwin

chesterwin Super Moderator

If a 39A was available at a decent price, there would be no question to me...
  14. dmsbandit

dmsbandit G&G Newbie

upstate New Yorkistan [the first openly totalitian
    My Henry shoots .5" groups at 50 yds, and just over 1" at 100yds. The action is slick as snot and the wood to metal fit is excellent. I've never heard a bad thing aboout the Henry service dept.

I have recieved e-mails from the President of the company when I sent him one saying how pleased I was with the accuracy of his rifles. That means something to me. It tells me they care about their customers and will do anything thay can to help you. I wonder if that would happen with the Marlin now that Remington is calling the shots.
  15. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Actually,

I doubt there is that much difference between the two when it comes to accuracy.

Personally, I would choose the Marlin. I have known people over the years who have this gun, have never had a problem with this gun, and do well in the accuracy dept with or without a scope (which if very easily mounted on the Marlin).

Note I am not dissing on the Henry which is a high quality firearm. I am simply stating my choice.
  16. dmsbandit

dmsbandit G&G Newbie

upstate New Yorkistan [the first openly totalitian
  17. wily1

wily1 G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

I still have to tweak the sights on my Henry .22 mag (a bit high) but at 25 yards (open sights) pretty much ripped a 1/2 inch hole so grouping very well. At 50 yds its an inch. again open sights and my eyes aren't what they used to be so more me than the rifle. But a very smooth action a 100 plus rounds a not a hint of a jam. Never shot the marlin lever but have a marlin bolt action .22 and also a very well made and a good little shooter. I think they are both quality rifles!
  18. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

I went with a Sears 46C (Marlin 56), simply because it was a reasonably priced high-quality lever-action I
    happened to find before finding anything else.
    I snagged mine for $85, it was slightly rusty & the stock looked like it bounced around a pickup's cargo area.
    So y'all know me & old beaters...I refurbished it ;)

Before...
    [​IMG]

A weekend later it looked brand new so I added a $10 4x matching Sears scope & a Marlin leather Sling
    and had folks offering me $400 for it...but I like it too much to sell it :D It's gonna get passed down.
    [​IMG]

I search pawn shops/yard sales/estate sales/etc for beaters that I can restore...
    With Marlins it is SO EASY to restore 'em :D And when you find a Beater, they go for cheap!!

When it comes to Lever-actions, Marlin has always made the best.
    Henry makes a good second fiddle to the Marlin, but not quite the Tiger Tank Toughness that the Marlin is.
    Winchester makes the best Closet Queens that you put in a display case but never shoot.
    Mossberg's 9422...not bad for a Brazlian knockoff...but I'd place it in Fourth.
    The Mossy doesn't have the precision of the Marlin or Henry, and the fit & finish leave a little to be desired.

Eventually I'll find a Marlin 39/39A/39M in rough condition that I'll bring back from the dead...
    it's just a matter of time ;)
    B'sides, once you've stripped one down and rebuilt it, you know dang near EVERYTHING about the rifle in question...
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  19. Morgan

Morgan G&G Newbie

Both are great guns, honestly I perfer the Marlin I just think its a better gun inside and out. I wasn't really impressed with my henry after I took it apart. Nice gun but kinda cheaply made compared to the Marlin, but hay it'll do the job
  20. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Newbie

After I bought my Henry H001, I sold my Marlin 39A. I own multiple Marlin lever guns, but I like the Henry .22 better than the Marlin .22. It's smoother and more accurate for me. The Henry barrel also easier to clean than the Marlin microgroove barrel.