Marlin 60 - 50th Anniversary Model

Discussion in 'Marlin' started by big shrek, Feb 25, 2010.

1. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

To celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Model 60 as well as cracking the 12 million sold mark, Marlin is releasing a deluxe model. The Marlin 60-DLX!!
    Marlin Model 60DLX

The 60-DLX has a Premium checkered walnut stock, semi-buckhorn rear sight and ramp/hood front sight, gold-plated trigger, swivel studs, and customized roll stamp. Marlin will offer a special serial number run of the Marlin 60DLX.

Here's a shot of Gunblast's favorite blogger with the Marlin 60 DLX, 50th anniversary model :)

[​IMG]

Detail shot of the left side (thanks again, Gunblast!)
    [​IMG]

Sells from $249-300, depending on where you get it from.

2. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Wow,

it is hard to believe this gun has been around for so long and has had so much success in the marketplace.

As noted, it seems to get almost no press and, from my point of view, no advertising to speak of.

So, you have to know it has always gotten some great word of mouth
    recommendations.
  3. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

You just have to love this rifle !!
  4. Nuke Submariner

Nuke Submariner G&G Newbie

I ordered the Model 60DLX from the local gun shop. It showed up the following day. My cost before tax was 219.99 It is a fine looking firearm.

On a slightly different subject, do any of you happen to know if Marlin ever manufactured the Model 60 in stainless with 22" barrel AND the 17 round tube? Inquiring minds want to know (or purchase).:Thinkingof_:

Happy Monday - Mick
  5. Kodiak32

Kodiak32 G&G Regular Forum Contributor

Nuke,

The Model 60 does come in stainless steel, it called the Model 60ss.

60SS Marlin Link:
    Marlin Model 60SS
  6. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

I think there used to be a Model 60S, which had the 22" barrel & long tube-mag...

But for some reason I can't find any reference to it...maybe I'm remembering it fuzzy??
  7. Pyro01

Pyro01 G&G Newbie

I got a Marlin 60 SS and it's beautiful, the only thing I would change is putting a metal trigger guard on it and a peep sight.
  8. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

DIP carries the trigger guard, (Accessories thread)

Skinner's Barrel peep or Tech-sights/Williams receiver peep?? (Accessories thread)
  9. davidnrobyn

davidnrobyn G&G Newbie

I just got a Model 60 DLX yesterday from my local BiMart (it's a small Northwest chain--good merchandise at great prices) for $196 and change. What a deal!!! I read the review in Gunblast and couldn't believe the sub-1/2" groups he was getting at 50 yds. I had a Ruger 10-22 which wouldn't group much better than 1 1/2 inches at that range. I just figured that semiautos weren't that accurate and that I needed to get a good bolt. I wasn't real familiar with the Model 60, but when I compared it to a Ruger on the shelf it was obviously much more slender and sleek, had much nicer lines, and shouldered a lot more naturally for me. The beautiful walnut stock and the fancy stuff just clinched the deal, as did the fact that it was a few dollars cheaper. Can you believe it!? I walked out with the rifle, a gun case and a brick of ammo for under $250 with Washington sales tax. :D Can't wait to take it out and test it.
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  10. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

Glad to have you aboard :)

We have quite a wealth of Marlin info here...

Remember to use CCI Minimags for your first 500 rounds...or Blazer.
    Break-in is important. Clean every 100 rounds during those first 500 rounds.
    The stock screws are to be SNUG, but not overtightened. If the action feels like it's stuck,
    loosen the screws a quarter turn at a time until it frees up.

Enjoy :D
  11. davidnrobyn

davidnrobyn G&G Newbie

thanks, Shrek!

Shrek, Thanks a bunch for the reply and advice! Q: why do you recommend CCI or Blazer for the break-in period? I don't mind going down and buying another brick of ammo--just like TP or canned goods, they last until you use them! ;-) BTW, I've been reading about taking the 60 down for cleaning--I get the impression that it's a little tricky. So I guess I'll be getting pretty good at it!
  12. billt

billt G&G Regular

These are some quick pictures I took this morning of my new Marlin Model 60 50th Anniversary Edition. I'm pretty pleased with the stock. It's a nice looking .22 for the money. The Walnut looks so much richer than the Birch.

The DLX--- S/N was the pre-production number and only 1,000 were made from DLX000 to DLX999. The regular production numbers are DL0000 to DL9999 and only 10,000 will be produced in 2010 then that's it! No more Black Walnut!

So, with that said, this line is still a short run of 11,000, (less than 1/10th of 1% of total production to date), with the first 1,000 of the DLX numbers being a little more collectible somewhere down the road. Bottom Line, these rifles are going to be harder and harder to find as more and more are being put into gun safes for collectibles, and simply put it's the best looking model 60 ever made. If your a Marlin 60 lover you'll want to have one. Bill T.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  13. billt

billt G&G Regular

Just to better comprehend how many Marlin Model 60 .22 rifles have been manufactured and sold. The rifle has been in continuous production since 1960, or for over 50 years. There are 18,250 days in 50 years. 11,000,000 (11 MILLION), divided by 18,250 days translates to 602 rifles being manufactured and sold PER DAY, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year, for 50 straight years! Bill T.
  14. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

Taht rifle is just SCREAMING to have a Marlin Leather Sling on it...orderable from Marlin :)
  15. jimkim

jimkim G&G Newbie

My Dad has one like that, but I don't remember what suffix follows the 60. I like the lines of it a lot better than the standard model. It's not as elegant as a Speedmaster, but it's close. To be honest it's more accurate than the Remington, just not as "purty".
  16. 70ssragtop

70ssragtop G&G Newbie

60DLX & 60DL 50th Anniversary Serial Number Explanation & Other Trivia

Here is some information & trivia I thought you might find interesting and useful. I knew this was going to be a topic/discussion someday, so here is an explanation of what happened at Marlin with the serial numbers. I was the manufacturing engineer on this project and this rifle was my responsibility to get it into production.

By error the first 200 rifles have a special serial number due to an oops/mistake in the serial # setting in the laser engraving machine. The first 200 rifles only have 3 numeric digits as follows, 60DLX000 thru 200 as compared to 60DL0201 thru 9999. When I programmed the laser software, I was informed we were only going to make 500-1000 of these rifles and took it for granted that the serial # started with 60DLX. At the 200 mark I noticed on the engineering spec sheet the serial number “was supposed to be 60DL0001” not 60DLX001. Since they wanted to now exceed 1000 rifles, there was not enough room for 9 digits. I had to drop the X out of the serial number to make room for the 4 numeric digits for a total of 8 digits. This change was made at the 201th receiver. The new revised serial # never started at 60DL0000, it started at 60DL0201.

Marlin originally had plans on only selling 1000, but had great feedback from the sales force that sales would be a big hit, so they extended production to higher numbers. There was no 1000 pre-production run, but as stated before it was in Marlins original plans to only run 1000.

The first 200 rifles have their own special serial numbers which I believe make them even rarer to own. I guess that’s pretty cool for people who own them. This info provided is merely to help with the understanding and methodology of the serial numbers.

Another interesting note is that there was only a certain amount of these 50th anniversary rifles actually built at the Marlin plant, I know the first 1000 were built there. I’m uncertain & can’t remember exactly when the cut-off was. Marlin at some point had to start shipping components to Remington for them to build. Again, I don’t want to throw exact numbers out because I can’t remember when they moved the 60/795 assembly line.

Hope this trivia helps.

Working at Marlin was the best, Have great memories working there and working with such a devoted workforce. I was there almost to the end and it was so sad seeing the plant disassembled. What a shame we all lost our jobs due to another corporate decision.

Here is a photo of my rifle and it is serial number 60DLX000, pretty cool #.

[​IMG]