Marlin 975 opinions?

Discussion in 'Marlin' started by lagbolt1138, Jul 23, 2009.

1. lagbolt1138

lagbolt1138 G&G Newbie

I'm looking for a simple semi-auto .22lr plinker. Simple is the watchword. And inexpensive.

I have, of course, been looking at the 10/22. However, I do not plan to add any funky furniture (a real selling point for a 10/22), maybe a scope. I DO NOT want a tube magazine.

A fellow shooter at the range yesterday had a Marlin 975. It had a nice feel for what it is, and it fit both my wife and me. The owner loved it as a plinker. They run about $150 around here.

Any comments? Recommendations?

Thanks!
  2. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

Shouldn't that be Marlin 795?

Look like this?
    [​IMG]

Out-of-the-box more accurate than a 10/22 Target model, at least that's my experience. My 10/22T was less precise than any of my Marlins and ended up being traded off for a Motorcycle :)

There is plenty of "furniture" for Marlins...I can think of at least five MFR's off the top of my head. It's just that the Ruger guys advertise more...Marlin guys work more by word of mouth.

Plus there is a $20 rebate. Here's your Coupon :)
    http://www.marlinfirearms.com/PDFs/09_795_coupon.pdf

Doncha just love rebates?? :D
  3. lagbolt1138

lagbolt1138 G&G Newbie

Ooops, yes a typo. 795

Thanks for the coupon! That's even more incentive. Could you list the furniture/accessories companies?

Thanks!
  4. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

Got a few posts up in the Marlin section...I oughta make one specifically for that purpose...hrm...Actually, I'd have to make up several...yuk.

I think I'll do it specific to the 60/99 series & 795/70 series first, that'll knock out a bunch...then a post for the 39 series. That should get the ball rolling :)

It'll all be in the Marlin Section in Manufacturer's of this forum. That way folks can add to it as they find neat stuff that I don't know about yet ;)

That way it also won't spam the Rimfire section here ;)
  5. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

Oh, yeah...some of furniture items made for the 10/22 can be converted for use for Marlin 795/70 models...you just have to do a little WECSOG-type gunsmith work to make 'em fit just right...definitely not for the beginner.

Wile E. Coyote School Of Gunsmithing :D