Marlin Firearms: Quality post Remington buyout?

Discussion in 'General Rifle' started by TACAV, Aug 9, 2011.

1. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

So ever since Marlin was bought out by Remington a couple years ago, who then shut down their plants and fired everyone so they could move all the equipment to the Remington plant in NY...

Has anyone noticed any difference in their customer service/gun/parts availability or customer service for better or worse?

I was thinking about getting one of their lever guns and was just curious.
  2. WisconsinHunter

WisconsinHunter G&G Newbie

From what I have heard their quality went down the crapper, don't know about the customer service...probably the same.
  3. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

Just buy a Henry or pick up a used Marlin from off Gunbroker.com.
  4. KeithT1967

KeithT1967 G&G Newbie

What quality?

I've handled a few of the new Marlin/Remington levers and not a one cycled worth a damn. One, fresh out of the box, locked up with the action open.
  5. Ballbearing

Ballbearing G&G Enthusiast

Someone who knows how to be really scathing, needs to write Remington a letter. They're going to have to improve the quality of these guns, or quit making them altogether and THAT would be an unimaginable tradgedy to the gunmaking and gunbuying world. Please Remington, if you can read this: FIX THE 336!!!!
  6. TACAV

well guess Ill scratch marlin off my list.

thanks for the reply's!
  7. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Enthusiast

Personally, I don't think any of todays weaponry is of high quality except for Savage.

The 'dumbing down' on materials and the use of Chinese manufacturers for parts and barrels has greatly diminished quality. Although Norinco was a pretty good manufacturer, I must say.
  8. Piper17

Piper17 Suspended

This happened to me too! The action locked open and was supposed to go into battery and I couldn't do it so I gave the rifle back to the clerk to let him figure it out....

How does a rifle leave a plant with this kind of problem?
  9. Piper17

Piper17 Suspended

Do what I've been doing and buy as many of the real JM Marlins with serial numbers starting with 9 instead of MR. I figure at the least they will be worth a bundle just as an investment if nothing else. However, I intend to keep every one of them. So far I have bought up a 39A Annie Oakley, a Cowboy LImited 1894 in .44 Magnum, and a 336C in .35 Remington. I went to my favorite small town gun shop yesterday and asked for a 444 Marlin from one of his distributors with serial number starting with 9 instead of MR and unfortunately none of them (three distributors) had a "real" JM Marlin left in inventory--all are now MR or Remington Marlins. I know where I can get an old pre safety block Marlin 444 but it has the wrong buttstock on it--one from plain beech or something instead of actual walnut. I am thinking maybe it is worth buying that and getting a walnut buttstock for it but I am still not sure.

Anyway, all my JM Marlins work and were "made now as they were then" so I figure I am ahead in seeing this kind of opportunity. Who couldn't love a 336C by the way? In .30-30 or .35 Remington they are relatively inexpensive yet they remain better than a Winchester 94 in my book.
  10. Twitch2120

Twitch2120 G&G Enthusiast

buy pre-2009 marlins. the remington models are in the pooper. ive seen several xt-22 rifles with holes and action screws mis-aligned.
  11. Lightweight

Lightweight G&G Enthusiast

Nothing like a well worn in levergun... from at least 20 years ago!
  12. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Enthusiast

There are enough of them out there for sure.

I'm gonna pic up a couple used and older vintage Marlin 336's and put them back after refurbishing them. I like the older ones with the palin walnut stocks on them.

Nice simple action to take down and work on.
  13. junkyarddawg

junkyarddawg G&G Newbie

Remington/Marlin recent experience

TACAV,
    I have been supplying updates to my recent and ONLY experience with Remington/Marlin customer service for a relatively simple repair/troubleshooting of a great little rifle I purchased for my daughter, the Marlin 795 22LR.
    Anyway the updates are posted in Marlin forum and in response to:
    Marlin Repair (How long does it take!?) Marlin 795
    "Big Shrek" has responded there as well!

Though I haven't submitted the letter I've composed to both Remington/Marlin...I can't tell you what their response will be!
    But this scenario may be a sort of "precursor" to/for anyone considering a Remington/Marlin purchase or repair.
    The reason I say "both" Remington/Marlin is...well I was instructed to send the 795 to the REMINGTON- IlIon firearms plant and custom shop, in Ilion,NY however the inclosed "Repair Documents" address at top of docs says Marlin Firearm was serviced at: "MARLIN SERVICE-PO Box 1871-Madison,NC-27025" The UPS shipping lable return address says: Remington Firearms Plant & Custom Shop-Ilion, N.Y.
    Though I nave already scratched them from my list for my next Firearm purchase ....I can still give the Marlin "products" a good rating.

14. huffmanite

huffmanite G&G Regular

TACAV, I bought a Marlin X7VH .308 last week. This is Marlin's newest addition to their line of centerfire bolt rifles, featuring a heavy varmit barrel. This rifle was made in Kentucky.....unlike my other Marlin XL7 rifle, bought 2 or so years ago, that was made at the North Haven, CT Marlin factory.

Externally, I can find nothing that suggests any difference in quality of manufacture between the two. Both rifles function flawlessly. However, I wish I had a bore scope to compare their lands/riflings. I've taken the new rifle to range several time and fired about 50 rounds, breaking it in, zeroing the scope and just playing around with different reloads. I am getting much more copper fouling in it than what I remember with my first Marlin, which is a 25-06, or the two Steven's 200s, Savage Edge or Ruger Hawkeye, all bought after my first Marlin.
  15. Piper17

Piper17 Suspended

The point for me is perhaps Remington will "get it right" in time with the Marlin takeover. In the meantime time is on our side to buy out the last of the real Marlins which will only go up in value as the same thing happened when the "hammer block safety" change came up years and years ago.

There are some real lemons out there even in the original Marlin plant manufacture, but the chances of them being of less quality than the current MR serial numbers is way lower.

When and if Remington gets it right there will be a time lag of significant length before trust is back. And even then the chances of the MR brand being as good or better are incredibly slim.
  16. TACAV

thanks all!
  17. stalebiscuit

stalebiscuit G&G Newbie

i bought a marlin 795 .22lr for around 100 bucks after rebate from dicks sporting goods in december of 2010

so far it is an awesome gun, jams every now and then, but not frequently. what would you expect with a semi-auto .22lr

but im sure now their quality will go down. im not a fan of remington really
  18. stalebiscuit

stalebiscuit G&G Newbie

finest sks ever i do say so myself

there are still a bunch of quality guns out there. hell cz is my favorite
  19. MosinMan

MosinMan G&G Enthusiast

Horrible, and now Remington is trying to lie to people about shutting down the North Haven plant because the ATF granted them use of the North Haven roll stamp.
  20. TGF

TGF G&G Newbie

The new Marlin's suck. I wouldn't buy one stamped NY look for and older one stamped CT