Marlin Glenfield Model 25

Discussion in 'Marlin' started by John_Lamoureux, May 31, 2008.

1. John_Lamoureux

John_Lamoureux G&G Newbie

Hello everyone - I'm new to this forum and to gun ownership. My father willed me his Marlin Glenfield Mod 25, and I'm trying to determine it's age. The rifle doesn't appear to have a serial number. From the small amount of research I've done, this means that it's pre-1968.

If it doesn't have a serial number, how do I determine it's age? I have no intention of selling it but I'd just like to know more about it. It looks like a perfect shooter to learn and teach my son about the pride of owning a firearm (he's 9).

Thanks!
    -John
  2. privateer

privateer G&G Newbie

Hi John , Glenfield Marlin Model 25 rifles were patterned after the Marlin 80C and Marlin 780 rifles. The Glenfield name was added for sales to coast-to-coast chain-stores versus stores that were specific Marlin dealer stores. The Glenfield 25 was manufactured from 1979 through 1982 according to Brophy. Others would suggest the Marlin Glenfield 25 was produced from 1972-1982. Regardless, the Glenfield name was dropped in 1983. The rifle continued as the Marlin Model 25 until 2003, which then became the Marlin 925.
    Differences between the Marlin and Glenfied were purely cosmestic i.e. birch stocks instead of walnut stock, different trigger guards, and triggers (black instead of gold colored). It is still being produced in .22LR (Marlin 925) and .22 Magnum (Marlin 925M) versions today.
    I hope that helps a little.
  3. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

Hello John and allow me, with the rest to follow, in welcoming you to G&G. A great forum with just as great members.
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  4. John_Lamoureux

John_Lamoureux G&G Newbie

Thanks privateer for the reply and detailed information. I still have the problem that I can't find a serial number on the gun. Is it possible that it doesn't have one?
  5. privateer

privateer G&G Newbie

John If your rifle was manufactured in the time period listed (72-82) then yes it must have a serial number, I'm not sure where marlin was putting them in that period maybe somebody else here has better firsthand info, goodluck with your search and enjoy the rifle.
  6. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

Take a pic of the barrel where they imprinted everything and post it here...that should alleviate a few headaches ;) Marlin-Glenfield started playing together around 1960, but I've not found very much info on the Glenfield at all.

I've got a Marlin 25MN...Wonderful rifle and extreme rabbit getter!!
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  7. Henry22LR

Henry22LR G&G Newbie

Hello John:

I love my Glenfield 25. I bought it, used, last year when I returned to shooting,

But it is pretty heavy, and pretty long, for a 9 year old. You might consider a Cricket, which cost about $100.00 NEW on Gunbroker.com. I got a 22 when I was 9, for Christmas (56 years ago), It was a single shot bolt action, and had to be cocked before each shot by pulling back on the bolt (it DID NOT cock automatically when the bolt was closed, like the Glenfield). Also there is no fear of inadvertently having one in the clip, as with a Glenfield , because single-shots have no clip.

The Crickets also come in “camo”, which I bet a third-grader would think is “cooool”.
  8. Windwalker

Windwalker G&G Newbie

Welcome to G&G. We have a great bunch of folks here. Someone will probably be able to help answer your question. Enjoy!
  9. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

If no serial number, then it must have been produced prior to 1968. Either it's an older design than we think, or the number has been worn away with time? How is the finish on the rifle?
    You could try contacting Marlin to see if they can tell you when this model was first produced.
    Also, try asking over on the Marlin Collector Assoc.'s site:

Marlin Collectors Association • Index page
  10. Clone1450

Clone1450 G&G Newbie

I have the same gun as seen below:

[​IMG]

Here is a close up of the make/model information from the left side of the barrel above the end of the stock.

[​IMG]

Here is where the serial number is on mine. It is straight back towards the butt of the gun on the same side of the barrel as the make/model information.

[​IMG]

Hope this helped a little bit.
  11. Clone1450

Clone1450 G&G Newbie

All Marlins manufactured from 1969 to 1990:
    The first two digits of the serial number designate the year of manufacture, either as the last two digits of the year (in 1969-71) or as a number code (1971 and later).

The year of manufacture for 24 = 1976.

Marlin Manufacture Dates
  12. phishisgroovin

phishisgroovin G&G Newbie

I have one as well, i like it alot as its a great camp rifle to squirrel hunt and kill cans with.
    I mounted a scope on mine recently so i could actually hit something with it. front sights are in a dovetail and tend to slide left and right lol!
    I wouldnt sell mine (even though its beat down) for anything.
  13. rick 2562

rick 2562 G&G Newbie

Welcome John, I guess you know that the bolt slides out of the gun when you pull the trigger. Well Sir, guard that bolt at all costs! If it gets lost, You'll be in a world of hurt trying to find another one.
  14. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

Superglue is a wonderful thing.
  15. TomcatPC

TomcatPC G&G Newbie

Between Homer, Alaska and Wrington, Somerset, Engl
    I bought a Marlin Glenfield Model 25 .22 rifle this Spring for $100 (U.S.). Needless to say it is used, and made in 1971. This is the first firearm I have that is actually younger than I am...LOL. I was an entire two weeks old when 1971 began...LOL. I have fired this rifle about three times so far and I am really grateful to have it, fairly accurate, I'm happy with it.
    Thanks
    Mark
  16. fsbofsbo

fsbofsbo G&G Newbie

glenfield 22 bolt acton

hello: trying to find out all i can about this glenfield.. maybe i get what i need to know here.. thank you.
    glenfied model 100 6 or 100 G i would like to know the value, age ect..

Attached Files:

17. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

Marlin 100G's run around $75-175 depending on condition & accessories.
    Most were made from 1960-65...check your serial number for specific dates.
    The G models were plainer stocks (i.e. Not Walnut) and were inexpensive but solid shooters.

Parts can be found at Numrich.com
    More info at the Marlin Owners webpage www.marlinowners.com
  18. fsbofsbo

fsbofsbo G&G Newbie

serial number on my 22 glenfield

hello: i don't see a serial number on it.. only a long line. please look at the picture and you can see all the info on the rifle. what does the line mean.. no serial number.
    thank you,
  19. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

If there's not a serial number on the Action, either...as the pic above yours shows...it's simply one made before serial numbers were required. Meaning there is no telling exactly which year it is unless you can find someone with EVERY 60-65 Glenfield 100G on hand to look at. And even then there may be no difference because Sears/dept. stores liked things the SAME from year to year.

It's also supposed to be the same as the Marlin 101...but I've not personally experienced both in hand at the same time while holding a Micrometer to check all the part sizes to make sure they match...I'd love some extra data to make sure they were the same before committing totally to that.

On the upside, you jokers who have a Marlin 100 (not the Glenfield) KEEP AN EYE OUT for a Marlin 100 Tom Mix Special which had a peep rear sight, hooded front sight & leather sling, made from 1936-1946...that mofo is worth some SERIOUS $$$ TO MARLIN & COWBOY COLLECTORS. And if you do have a tom mix special, PLEASE post some pics :) I'd LOVE to see one :D
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  20. Jeffers1955

Jeffers1955 G&G Newbie

I have the same gun that was my fathers. It has no clip would a Marlin 925 clip work in it. I have a catalog and there are no Glenfield Clips listed