marlin model 25

Discussion in 'Marlin' started by bentbarrel, May 27, 2004.

1. bentbarrel

bentbarrel G&G Newbie

hi yall,
    im new to this forum, and a new marlin owner. couple of years ago i got a marlin model 25, it was beat to heck and still capable of shooting somehow. it had no front sight, no magazine, rust flakes on the outside of the barrel so bad it had no visible bluing at all. someone had used it for a prybar or baseball bat and the forestock was all splintered. underneath the reciever the screw in trunion that holds the lockwork in place was broken, took it to the shop and welded it back, added a cheap $ 16.00 scope and now it gives dime size groups at 25 yards. i just couldnt get rid of the old shooter and give it a try to fix it up, and it shined up pretty good.
    has anyone in this forum had any experience with these rifles? any info on techniques to accurize them? any info on the marlin model 25 would be a great help to me for i know nothing at all about em. thanks.
    bent
  2. bentbarrel

bentbarrel G&G Newbie

marlin model 25 group results

i forgot to show the present groups with the model 25, and so far i think this lil rifle is a keeper

Attached Files:

3. ScottD

ScottD G&G Newbie

Yep! I'd keep'er.
  4. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

they are pretty good little rifles. first gun i ever baught was a marlin 25n. decent little shooter. only one of two guns ive ever sold and i still kick myself for it.
  5. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

These old Marlins are often great shooters, even though they are inexpensive rifles. Congrats for bringing the old gun back into use.
    You can still get the magazines from Marlin:
    https://www.marlinfirearms.com/store/magazines.php
    The one you need is the "7-shot clip", ID # 504046 for $11.00.

Numrich (E-gunparts.com) is a good source of parts too.

A few years back, I gave my Brother-in-law a Glenfield Model 20 for Christmas - it's the Glenfield version of Marlin's M25. He's still got it, and it spurred hin on to getting other guns. That little rifle helped me to "corrupt" a former anti-gun guy into a shooter. :cool:
  6. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Nice groups
  7. colt45

colt45 G&G Newbie

Occupied Territories of New York (Buffalo)
    one of the best lil "cheap" 22's out there. try a triger job and that group will get even better.
  8. Pumpkinheaver

Pumpkinheaver G&G Enthusiast

I was gonna say trigger job but colt45 beat me to it.
  9. bentbarrel

bentbarrel G&G Newbie

hey yall
    thanks for the replies, and comments, preciated. the trigger was just done with a good buffing by dremel hehe. and i swear the pull came from what it was , i would guess near 6 pounds or so, down to about what my 10/22 with volquartsen kit in it, say about 2.5 or 3 pounds.
    next is a decent scope, a 3-9x50 objective or so, will have to drill and tap it meself. aint ever done that before hehe. i would guess with takin my time and bein careful i could possibly end up with a tack-drivin lil mousegun. i buffed the bolt surface/contact areas and can work the bolt with fingers as i dont need to take eye from scope as i do it now, real smooth. and i may extend the stock end out with an add on piece of wood which will allow me to attach a bipod. i would guess a bipod would be helpful, i have not had one on a rifle yet. but in time i figger i will have somethin i can take out amongst the mesquites and sit in the shade while i clean the area of vermin hehe.
    thanks for the replies again, and have safe and happy shootin. :)
  10. newgunowner

newgunowner G&G Newbie

Hi folks,I am new to this forum.Saw Bentbarrels post and it peaked my curiosity having bought an old Glennfield , model 25 that also was in rough shape. I stripped it down and cleaned every part,the barrel had some light rust that cleaned up nicely also i refinished the stock. It looks mint now. I would like to fine tune the trigger abit....too much pressure, if anyone could help me with this, I would appreciate this..........Thanks
  11. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

HOWDY newgunowner !!! WELCOME to GUN and GAME we are delighted you joined.
    I hope you enjoy the site as much as I do, though I feel like they may run me off any day now. Have fun and get involved and I hope to hear more from you...A.H

p.s. they'll be members along directly to help yee with your question, I'm sorry I can't help you.
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2007
  12. bigandrich44

bigandrich44 G&G Newbie

13. JoeLee

JoeLee Suspended

I have the 25N shoots S,L,LR all I did to her was some trigger tinkering good rifle.
  14. t53joe

t53joe G&G Newbie

Hello And Welcome!!

Hello Bent:

Welcome To Our Forum, I Have A 25n For About 10 Years And I Love It, Its Got A Hard Trigger Pull But It Shoots Nice Group Just Like Yours, My Wife Will Sit And Shoot It For Hours, She Loves That Little Rifle, That Was One Of The Best $100.00 I Have Ever Spent, I Bought It Long Before I Was Married But My Wife Took Possesion Of It And I Dont Get To Shoot It Much Anymore(lol) It Has An Old 3 To 7 Power Scope On It, I Think Its A Tasco, You Have A Good Little Rifle Their Its A Keeper!!, You ShoulDNt Have Any Problem Getting The Mag And Other Parts If Needed >> Your Friend T53joe
  15. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

The trigger on the Marlins are very easy to improve - just take it slow and easy. Depending on when made, it'll have a pin or screw holding the parts together, just be careful of spring pressure. A very light wisp of hard fine stone will take off any burrs, and follow it up with some ultra-fine emory cloth to burnish it. Be careful to NOT change the angles on engagement surfaces!
    Finally, change the trigger to a lighter spring from a pen or mechanical pencil. This the old "Pentel Spring Trick", as discussed awhile back on RimfireCentraldotcom and other rimfire forums.
    This work makes a world of difference! :)
  16. JoeLee

JoeLee Suspended

An easy fix to a quick temporary trigger job,is a dab of STP on a Q-TIP.Paint the contact surfaces and the trigger pin with a "small amount of STP".Heat "1or2"rings on the trigger spring cherry red to loose some temper.Almost as good as a glass smooth stoning job.
  17. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

dont be a hack and melt trigger springs!
  18. JoeLee

JoeLee Suspended

Remember the BRASS wants us to think before we post="1or2"rings!
  19. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

you are correct about thinking before we post. i thought it out, and it is bad advise to recomend that some body melt springs in the trigger of their rifle. improper tension can result in the sear not hoilding, making the rifle dangerous. when working on triggers, there is only 1 way to do it, the right way!
  20. JoeLee

JoeLee Suspended

No lefty o,Real Gunsmiths do it everyday,not melt the spring merely take the temper out of one or two rings,dark room cheery red.4?