Marlin Model 80 DL

Discussion in 'Marlin' started by wily1, Jan 27, 2008.

1. wily1

wily1 G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

I purchased a Marlin Model 80 DL bolt action .22 used at my local gun shop a few weeks ago. It is a bolt action with a clip. Its a nice solid rifle and in beautiful condition and only $75 which is why I picked it up in the first place. Along with the other info it has S-L-LR stamped on the barrel. As far as I know any rimfire with a clip will only accept .22 long rifle ammo. I'm just wondering why S-L-LR would be stamped on it.

well I found an old ad poster on the net for the 80 DL and it says that the 80 DL will fire LR-L-S ammo. I thought that the 80 DL was just an older version of the Marlin 925 without the T-900 fire control system. I haven't had a chance to even shoot this rifle yet as I was busy with my new .223 and coyote hunting. Anyone out there have a 80 DL and use shorts or longs with it?
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  2. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

Congrats on your new/old Model 80 22 Marlin boltaction. No I don't have one but I have the newer 981 T and it shoots shorts, longs or long rifles.
    Thats interesting they still build them to shoot all those lenght 22 rim fires.

I went squirrel hunting down in the river bottoms a couple years a go with my Step Father.
    To my surprise he brought along his ole Winchester lever action 22 rifle.
    I noticed when he was loading it he loaded it with 22 shorts.
    We split up and after a liitle while I hear "pop" and later "pop" I got tickled hearing the gun when he shot it, it sound more like a very quick fart LOL when he shot it.
    He did a lot of missing that day and I didn't even see a squirrel. LOL...A.H
  3. andrew cochran

andrew cochran G&G Newbie

If you load the bullets one at a time like a singleshot bolt action, you can use shorts. The magazine may not hold them but the chamber will. :)
  4. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I've shot Remington Hi-Speed Shorts in my Model 80DL - but accuracy suffers. You really need a dedicated rifle with the proper rifling to short Shorts accurately.

I haven't seen .22 Longs in decades . . .
  5. andrew cochran

andrew cochran G&G Newbie

I believe midway sells some longs. Big dog is absoutly correct. Accurcy will suffer in some guns with shorts.
  6. wily1

wily1 G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Yeah I'll just stick to long rifle anyway, I was just kinda curious as it seemed funny for it to be stamped S-L-LR as it has a clip.
  7. gjss44

gjss44 G&G Newbie

The Marlin 80 dl .22 cal bolt rifle was made after WW11 approx 1946 to to 1968 s ... Hard to accu.date them as Marlin did not have to by law put serial numbers on the rifles.... Have had my 80 DL since I was 13 yr. Would not give it up for the world... Abused it as a kid will do and it is a tough little machine... Now in my ripe age I have restored it and even though I get a sometimes grin and laugh at the target range ,,, that soon goes away when it out shoots the new ones... You can shoot what ever .22 round you want but the clip will only load without stove piping ( jamming sideways ) when you shoot LR ammo.... If you have a 80 DL Marlin and need parts,,,, good luck is all I can say.... Would be best to purchase a used one and scavage the parts off it ... Clips are avail.... The gun was made before scopes were top mounted,,, ( at least mine was ) and the barrel was side drilled for a JC Higgins 4x scope...

Hope this helps someone... Would if I had the chance to purchase one again jump on it... Nice over all gun in my opinion....

8. gjss44

gjss44 G&G Newbie

Just to add a P.S. to my prior posting on the Marlin 80 DL .22 cal rifle..... The gun was also sold under the name of Glenfield... Was sold as a kids beginners rifle ,,,, have a walnut full sized stock... It was designed to be field cleaned with just the min. time and tools... The gun was sold alot by Dept. Stores... It was also marketed under the tube feed model # 80 that,,, and was discontinued about the year 1968... To answer the question about the diff ammo sizes better,,,, you can load what ever .22 size round you want to but in a single shot loading by hand method... Only LR and Long rifle loads are clip feediin with out jamming
  9. trdad

trdad G&G Newbie

marlin model 80

This was also sold as jc higgins model 103.19800. I had one in 1965 and still have it.
  10. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

The best use of .22 shorts & longs comes from revolvers, then lever & bolt-actions.

Semi-autos tend to have issues with anything other than LR's. Just because you CAN use it, doesn't mean you should.
  11. Starwolf777

Starwolf777 G&G Newbie

The best rifle you can own.

I brought my model 80 in 1964 for $5. It is the best little rifle I have ever owned. I still use it to hunt small game. In this rifle 22 short are great for shooting small game up to about 80 to 100 feet (squirels, crow, etc.). It makes very little noise. I use it to train for long range shooting (100 yds to 200 yds). It gives the same profile of higher calibar rifles at 400 yds to 800 yds and cheaper to shoot. The model I have was sold by Sears & Roebuck & Company, just to give you an idea of its age. It is great for teaching kids to shoot.
  12. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

That is the saddest excuse for a hunting story I have heard in a long time.Why do you tell the truth in a hunting story?Couldn't you have at least bagged a bear with that .22short at 500yds or maybe a bigfoot?You definitly earned demerits on this one! sam.
  13. jolsen2

jolsen2 G&G Newbie

any ideas on where i could find a magazine for my model 80, one that holds more than 4 rounds if thats possible?
  14. Big Dog

You could contact the Marlin Firearms company - their online store no longer carries rifle parts, but they may have some left.
    Or check with Numrich (e-gunparts.com) - they should have the older magazines. I really doubt any higher-capacity mags were ever produced for the Marlin bolt rifles - I've NEVER seen any.
  15. jolsen2

jolsen2 G&G Newbie

alright ill check those out. thanks
  16. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

This thread really oughta be in the Manufacturer's - MARLIN section ;)
  17. FN FAL

FN FAL NOT a new member Forum Contributor

I have had my Marlin model 80 for pushing 15 years now and when I go .22 shooting it is usually the plinker of choice. I have the required model 60's and they are great in themselves but I like the clip fed and bolt action fun of the model 80.

The fellow I bought the model 80 from had some CB shorts, of which I had never seen before. I soon found the CB's much more accurate and actually less noise than an air rifle for taking care of... I mean shooing away pesky varmits. A little gun shop that I used to frequent I got him to order some bricks of CB's and when I got there to pick mine up that is all he had left, seems others already knew the value of the little round. I have shot 1000's of CB shorts thru my model 80 with not one blip of a jam, etc. I have always made sure when loading the magazine that the rim of the cartriges are against the back of the magazine and the rim of the upper cartriges are in front of the ones below so they don't move the cartridge below the one being pushed into the chamber by the bolt. As for .22 long rifle rounds I have shot all the usual brands and it doesn't seem to care what you put in it.

I had wanted a model 39 for years and finally found a nice deal on an older one. It would shoot LR's fine but you had to load shorts one at a time into the chamber, they just would not load thru the tube magazine. My desire for the 39 quickly faded and I got rid of it. I find it too bad Marlin doesn't build the 336 size rifle with an option for .22 and .22 mag.

tim
  18. Big Dog

If you want a lever rifle to handle ALL variations of .22Short, .22Longrifle and even CB caps and Colibris - get the Henry! Works fine.

That being said, I have only one Henry to eight rimfire Marlins!
  19. pontiac_fiero_g

pontiac_fiero_g G&G Newbie

i call bs i do not beleive that you shoot 4-800 yards with any rimfire 22.
  20. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

Shame on ya, what's that Henry doing in there??? :wizard:

The Marlins will eat it ;)

Getcha a Marlin 39A (preferrably pre-crossbolt safety) :saevil: