Marlin "X" gun wins again

Discussion in 'General Rifle' started by dmsbandit, Nov 27, 2012.

1. dmsbandit

dmsbandit G&G Newbie

upstate New Yorkistan [the first openly totalitian
    I got my new issue of Field and Steam yesterday and they had a big write up on budget guns for $500 or less. The Marlin X7 beat out the Weatherby Vangaurd 2, Ruger American, Howa 1500, T/C Venture carbine, and Savage model 10. It averaged under .75" and shot a best group of .200". :approve:

I can say from personal experience, that it doesn't surprise me. My 308 and 30-06 marlins are extremely accurate and the best group shot by both was a .101" for the 308 and a .161' for the 30-06. Not too shabby for a $300 gun
  2. littlestoney406

littlestoney406 G&G Newbie

I love mine in .308. I just need to get it back to the range.
  3. Twitch2120

Twitch2120 G&G Enthusiast

Needs more aftermarket support.
  4. Tack Driver

Tack Driver G&G Enthusiast

I saw that article as well, really impressive how well some of those budget rifles will shoot
  5. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Marlin got it right

Marlin really saw the emerging need for a well engineered, high quality, affordable rifle. Marlin came up with a market winner. However, Marlin needs to put out the word in the form of more advertising.
  6. dmsbandit

dmsbandit G&G Newbie

the problem with spreading the word about the "X" gun, is it kills Remington's business. With Remington calling the shots, Marlin will always come in second where advertising dollars are concerned.:196:
  7. SgtD

SgtD G&G Regular

The Marlins are just a lighweight copy of what Savage has been doing for years. I admit the looks of the Marlin are a bit more pleasant, and for the price it's a deal. Heck, I had one in 30-06 and it was a tackdriver. I just wish they had made it a bit stronger or beefier I guess. I compared it to my Savages and it is just not as heavily built.

They will all shoot though. My Savages and Stevens will too. As will my Remington. But, every bolt rifle I have will shoot sub-moa with the right load. Even my Ruger M77s. My Stevens 200 cost a lot less though and it will shoot groups as good as any of them even with a crappy trigger. The Marlin is a good rifle, but for the same money I will continue to reccomend the Stevens 200 as long as they keep making them. I just think it will be more durable over time. YMMV
  8. aris_unlimited

aris_unlimited G&G Regular

I agree. I was considering getting one recently, but I like the option to change out barrels and stocks as I see fit. Maybe even add detachable mag setups if the gun doesn't come with one.
  9. littlestoney406

littlestoney406 G&G Newbie

The only thing I don't like is the blind box mag. Only way to clear the mag is to cycle every round.
  10. CircuitRider

CircuitRider G&G Regular

Marlin makes a good low cost rifle that really shoot good. Fascinating groups, .101 and .161 that is outstanding. Did your groups look like these I have posted? Man, shooting groups like that I know you kept them or took pictures of them. Could you be so kind as to show us those groups and what bullet weight, load or ammo and also the scope you used. Fascinating, can't wait to see the groups.

Out of the box 300Win Mag Savage
    [​IMG]

Three shot group 165gr Sierra
    [​IMG]

Nine shot group 165gr Sierra
    [​IMG]

Out of the box 7mmSTW Savage
    [​IMG]

Three shot group 130gr Seirra MK 3500fps
    [​IMG]

Oh, by the way, my son-in-law has one in 270 Win and it is a shooter indeed, especially when we developed some hand loads for it.
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  11. CircuitRider

CircuitRider G&G Regular

Hey, dmsbandit, don't read anything into my post asking to see your targets. I am actually considering after loading for and firing my son-in-laws 270Win a 30/06 XL7 and see what I will be able to accomplish with my load techniques and see what i can squeeze out of it. I am fascinated with a low cost bolt action that shoots as good as the reviews say it does, so I am thinking about finding out for my self, working up some loads and then hunt with it and also write a review from my personal perspective and experience with the rife. :)
  12. CircuitRider

CircuitRider G&G Regular

Well dmsbandit, I wished you would have posted your groups so I could see especially how the 30/06 grouped. Even without the pictures of the groups I am going to buy a Marlin XL7 30/06 tomorrow. The guy at the gun shop is holding it for me and I will put a brand new Redfield Revolution 4-12x40mm Accu-Trac on top. As soon as I get it all put together I will show you some pictures by this Friday.

Will begin with my favorite deer load which is a 165gr Sierra Game King 165gr HPBT in front of IMR4350 and H4350 using the one that gives me the best accuracy. Well, the fun and games begin, because I decided to see this season since I have a special deer hunt in south Louisiana in January and this will give me a little time to do some load work after I break in the barrel and a hunt to try it out on.

My purpose in the review will be to see how a entry level rifle and scope can perform not only at the bench but in the field. Like I said, this should be fun. dmsbandit, hope you post pictures of those groups, I really wanted to see them. Until Friday sometime, you all have a great day :) :) :)
  13. CircuitRider

CircuitRider G&G Regular

dmsbandit, good shooting that 308 shoots good. Will have mine set up Friday and hopefully with a chance to shoot it Friday morning.

[​IMG]

You also said, "My 30-06 "X" GUN IS THE MOST CONSISTANTLY ACCURATE GUN I own and I own more than a few. It will shot just about Any 165gr bullet sitting on a charge of IMR4350 under .75" day in and day out. 180gr Bullets are often 1 hole groups and even 150s are right at 1".

My 308 "X" gun has shot the smallest group I've ever shot with a centerfire rifle and isn't very picky about what you feed it either."

i am looking forward to seeing if my shoots as good. Will post pictures tomorrow (Friday) of my rig.
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  14. huffmanite

huffmanite G&G Regular

At range I'm a member, once a month we have a shooting competition. We shoot one round per ten 100 yard targets and total the score. Last two months I finished third and second place using a Ruger 77 Tang Safety rifle I had rebarreled to 7x57 mauser with an inexpensive Midway A& B barrel. I'm in process of restocking my Marlin XL7 25-07 that I bought when the X series first showed up in the Houston area. I'm thinking with a better benchrest type stock, my Marlin may outshoot my Ruger.
  15. CircuitRider

CircuitRider G&G Regular

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just a few quick pictures this thursday evening, just got the scope 2 hours ago delivered by UPS, so instead of posting tomorrow, I will save my day light pictures for my review. In a couple of months I will post a link to my review of both the Marlin XL7 30-06 and the Redfield Revolution 4-12x40mm Accu-Trac plex. Merry Christmas to everyone and a Happy New year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  16. CircuitRider

CircuitRider G&G Regular

Hey dmsbandit, these are good targets, but I can't find your .161" group for the 30-06, how about posting it so we can see it. I really hope I get mine to shot good.

dmsbandit post the following,

I got to the range today again, and I now have at lest one excellent round for my gun, one really good round, and one possible round. Here are the results from today's range time.

165 grain Sierra HPBT, 44 grains of REL-15, CCI 200, military cases.

2508 FPS for an average of 9 shots
    2303 FPE
    .94" for an average of 9 shots
    .784" best 3 shot group

[​IMG]

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x281.

150 grain Hornady SP; 46 grains IMR4320, CCI 200, military cases

2648 FPS average for 9 shots
    2336 FPE
    .719" average for 9 shots
    .394" best 3 shot group

[​IMG]

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x678.

170 grain Hornady FP; 48 grains win 760; CCI 250; mixed commercial cases

2375 FPS average for 6 shots
    2130 fpe
    1.18" average for 6 shots
    1.02 best 3 shot group.

[​IMG]

As you can see, the 150 gr Hornady SP with the 4320 is a clear winner so far. Good velocity and great accuracy. I plan on trying that powder with the 150 Hornady SST and Speer SP. I got that load from Ken Waters pet loads and the results are the best so far with my carbine "Thumper".

The 165 HPBT were also very good and that is the best that bullet has ever shot for me. I will try it with some 4320 and a slightly larger charge of REL-15 and see if things get better or worse.

The 170 Hornady FP show promise in the accuracy department, but I would like more velocity if I can get it out of this short 18.25" barrel. I'll try some more 760 and maybe some Rel-15 or 3031 to see if I can get over 2500 with that bullet.

I'll post some pictures when I get a chance and keep trying more combos when I get a chance.

This gives me a standard to shoot against as I do my load work. Still wish you would post that .161" group for the 30-06, that would be cool to see. Well, until I finish my work with the Marlin XL7, I will be having some fun. :)
  17. dmsbandit

dmsbandit G&G Newbie

Sorry, I've been away for a few weeks. I'll post the pictures when I get home.

the bullet was the 180gr Nosler Solid Base bullets [I have a few thousand hoarded] and 60grs of Rel-22 and a CCI250 primer. I also shot a .272"? group with the 180 Solid Base and 60grs of H4831 and a CCI250 primer. The cases where DEN 42 and they where loaded to the maximum length the mag would allow.
  18. CircuitRider

CircuitRider G&G Regular

Hey man, cool you finally got on. I find my chamber in the Marlin XL7 short and tight and had to seat the bullets a little shorter than I usually do so they did not touch the lands. Factory ammo is feeding fine and none of it bumps the lands. Did you compare your loads mentioned above to using Standard primers? I like what you have done with the compressed loads using a CCI250 mag primer. Thanks for the load data and also, did you find your Marlin liking the 180gr better than the 150 and 165gr loads?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  19. CircuitRider

CircuitRider G&G Regular

Well, I used factory ammo 180gr Cor-Lokt to do my break in process and then fired some initial loads. I found a hunting load for now since I have no more time to work with any more loads before the hunt with my grandson this coming week here in South Mississippi and then the special hunt I have in south Louisiana Jan 6th - 9th. I loaded up 20 rounds of this load for my final sight in and also to do the two deer hunts.

The load is 150gr TTSX, in front of 60grs RL-17, using Rem brass and Rem 9 1/2M primiers, moving on average 3009fps with a group size of .912".
    I felt this was pretty good for not having a lot of rounds through the rifle right now. My sight-in is 1.5" high at 100yds and zero is 200yds and is -6.8'" low at 300yds and with this load I have the added benefit of matching my Accu-Trac on my 4-12X40mm Redfield Revolution scope.

I will do more load work after my hunt in January, because of my work schedule and Christmas, plus the New Year will keep me from doing anything but my final sight in this Monday to make sure I am where I want to be at 100yds.

[​IMG]

group .912", 3009fps average
    [​IMG]
  20. Bish.41MAG

Bish.41MAG G&G Regular

The XL7 is my main deer gun. Box ammo shoots like a champ. I've read several budget gun shoot outs and it seems to more often then not take the top slot. I have nearly 200 rounds of brass but every time I lace a 150 grain core lokt through it and can cover 3 shots all with a quarter It ruins my ambition to load.

Any time I hear someone looking for a good less expensive gun I recommend this one up and down because as earlier stated they do not advertise a lot.

Floor plate or detachable magazine would be my only change.