Marlin X7 or Savage Axis?

Discussion in 'General Rifle' started by tappedandtagged, Aug 20, 2012.

1. tappedandtagged

tappedandtagged G&G Enthusiast

I plan on buying a new 243 bolt rifle in the next 2-3 weeks. I currently own a Marlin X7 in 270 and it consistently prints around 3/4 MOA with cheap and good ammo (Federal blue box and Nosler Trophy Grade Accubond).

When I started looking for a new 243, I naturally went looking at the Marlins. But, my wife picked up a Savage Axis and said she liked it more. This rifle is going to play double duty as my secondary rifle and her primary rifle, so her input is important. Granted, the only thing she based her likes on is that he Savage is lighter and easeir for her to shoulder off hand. She will never be taking an off hand shot, so I still want to look at the Marlin.

Here is my list of pros and cons:

Savage Pros: Savage has a reputation for accuracy, detachable magazine, light weight. I can get one for about $30-50 less over the Marlin

Cons: the action is UGLY. Forums suggest the stock is weak and flexes a lot.

Marlin pros: pretty for a budget rifle, I KNOW they are accurate.

Cons: wife thinks it is too heavy, cost is slightly more over the Savage (barely).

So, Savage owners, tell me about your Axis. Hows the stock and is the ugly sucker accurate?
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  2. Bigfoot

Bigfoot G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Don't know about the Savage. I have a Marlin X7VH in 308. Great accuracy using any ammo i feed it. Liked the composite stock better than the savage. Maybe its the heavy barrell, but it mine shoots so good i won't part with it. I opted for the varmit model w/ heavy barrell. Not at all sorry i did. Even carried it deer hunting last year. No big deal on weight that i could see. Climed some tough hills, really didn't notice that it seemed much heavier than many guns i have carried in same area. Not at all unhappy with purchase for price. Gret deal for the price, and a gun you won't mind getting wet when hunting.
  3. tappedandtagged

tappedandtagged G&G Enthusiast

I would go for the Marlin heavy barrel if they made it in 243.
  4. 10/22fan38

10/22fan38 G&G Newbie

A friend has an Axis in 7mm-08 and he likes it a lot. I love my XL7 in 3006 too. If you're lucky enough to have a wife who likes to go hunting then I'd let her get whatever rifle she wants! Let her get the Savage.
  5. Twitch2120

Twitch2120 G&G Enthusiast

Run from the axis. Stevens 200 runs the same price and uses the 10 action so all aftermarket components work for it.
  6. TomAnsley

TomAnsley G&G Newbie

So many ways to look at this,The Savage barrel is legendary but in off the shelf form the Axis needs a little help-Not sure about the Marlin as not real fond of the newer Marlin stuff.I have 2 edge/axis guns and I like to tinker and they do very well now.With DNZ scope mounts,Rifle Basix triggers,And Custom fluted bolts both rifles are 1/2 inch guns in 22-250 and 308.Both are light weight and easy to carry and aim.I have several much more expensive and popular rifles and the savages end up going to the woods with me-And they really perform.
  7. hemingway89

hemingway89 G&G Enthusiast

i owned a savage axis in 223 and at 50 yd i could shoot hole for hole, at a hundred yds i couldnt really tell you becuase i was shootin primers and well after the first shot they were gone. i dont fine them to be as "pretty" as the other savage rifles but i can vouch that they are freakin awesome i got rid of mine becuase i needed money and i wanted a mini 14 - regret it alot now my dad has my savge the only thing i didnt like was that the axis uses the same action for all calibers. it has a long action ,i heard people complain about shooting/loading one shot at a time but i never had an issue. and for a starter action i couldnt ask for smoother bolt! i deffinatley plan on getting another one in 3006. stevens 200 are great but i dont think it can hold its own against the axis out of the box just my honest opinion. you need to handle both fire arms and feel them out have your wife do the same.
  8. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

Normally I'd give a couple paragraphs on how good the Marlin X-7's are, which, they are Awesome...as you're already aware!!
    You could let her know that more weight means less sharp recoil...or that the factory recoil pad on the Marlin makes it feel so sweet, as you already have one
    And you can also show here the Boyd's Riflestock options for the X-7 series and let her know that they can also be stained Pink or any other color...
    Original Replacement Stocks for Marlin Rifles

One thing I'm curious about...the Marlin in .243 is rated at 6.25 pounds,
    and the Axis is rated at 6.5 pounds...So how is the Marlin Heavier???
    Or is it a balance thing??

But it is..."her primary rifle"...which means, for better or worse, its her choice.
    If at all possible, find a range that rents and let her try 'em both :)

The Axis, if you get the Bushy Scoped combo deal...get ridda the OEM rings and get some GOOD rings...the OEM ones SUCK.
    The bolt ain't fluted like the Marlin, so that's something else to deal/not deal with...
    She'll also probably want a RifleBasix trigger or some other aftermarket, as the OEM also sucks, it ain't one of the adjustable Accutriggers...
    Or you can fix it like this...gently hand-polish where shown and replace the trigger return spring with a lighter one...might make y'all happy...
    [​IMG]

Other than that, it is a good rifle, and made in the USA :)
  9. Rmart30

Rmart30 G&G Newbie

I have a Savage axis in 223 ......its done everything Ive wanted it to do. Cant tell ya the # of beavers and other varmits it has taken. My only "thing" with it is I believe the 223 is built on the same platform as the 30-06 and it seems to have a long bolt pull to me.
    For the price( i have the SS model) I think it was a bargain and the internet talk of " Axis stock flex" is not noticable at all to me.

Also in a 243 id ck out the new ruger all american. I havent had my hands on one yet but they look nice.
  10. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Enthusiast

Looks like you're getting a Savage. If the wife isn't happy you're not going to be.