Match grade gun or parts?

Discussion in '1911' started by franchi, Apr 12, 2012.

1. franchi

franchi G&G Newbie

I was wondering if it is better to buy a match grade factory gun from a place like Kimber or to just buy a RIA GI and put some money into match grade parts as shooting skill progresses? I am an avid competition shooter with Shotgun sports, but have little experiance with handgun shooting.
  2. ALR

ALR ][][][% Forum Contributor

You could go with the RIA and see how it shoots, if its good then little by little put the parts to it. If its not good, little by little you can put the parts to it.
    Make it the way you want it. Some times even high priced ones dont run good.
    There is an interesting article I posted on 1911's...
    http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/1911/138258-no-1911-4-u.html
    Like a car you might buy for $500, expect to put another $500 in it to make it run...LOL
  3. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Personal opinion

As you seem really into competitive shooting I feel you will be better off with the Kimber set up for target work.

However, non-competition fun shooters like me have enjoyed buying parts and putting a 1911 together. I once told shooter at the range my 1911 has so many parts it hurts.
  4. franchi

franchi G&G Newbie

My worry with buying an RIA to start with is that the frame would be of inferrior machining and fitting, so even after putting match grade parts in it the gun will still have the poorly fitting frame. You're only as strong as your weakest link. Is there any quality gap between parts like the frame and slide?

I dont think the "No 1911 4U" link really applies to me. Size is a non-issue. I dont plan on this gun for carry. I would buy a LCP or something of that sort if that were the case. I just like the way Kimber and Springfield 1911's handle and shoot. Of course both of those were custom shop guns that are slightly out of my price range.
  5. ALR

ALR ][][][% Forum Contributor

I dont recall hearing of any problems with RIA frames and some members are on their third or forth RIA in their collections and like them a lot right out of the box.