mauser K98 zeroing issue

Discussion in 'Mausers' started by rtch77, Sep 16, 2007.

1. rtch77

rtch77 G&G Newbie

I am preparing newly aquired Russian capture K98 Mauser for this years deer season and general hobby shooting. There is no built in windage adjustment on the sights. At 25 meters I have decent grouping in the worst firing position (standing), however the rough "kentucky windage" adjustment does not suffice. Can someone give me pointers on how to zero my Mauser at 100m (don' mind the walk) or more? Is there an accurate method for this? Any off the wall ideas/experiences most welcome . Thanks:feedback:
  2. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

windage is adjusted at the front sight. you need to drift the front sight.
  3. rfc357

rfc357 G&G Newbie

Are you going to handload or use commercial ammo? If you use US commercial ammo, you will have to raise your sights considerably from the setting you have been using with foreign military ammo. US commercial ammo is loaded to much lower velocity than foreign military ammo.
  4. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

^+1, The only decent commercial loading for 8x57 ammo in the U.S. is Hornady, and it's scarce and fairly pricey. The Wolf Gold is decent as far as numbers go, but I wouldn't trust bullet performance without testing it first. As Lefty said, use a brass punch or piece of brass round stock and a small hammer to move the front sight in its' base. Move the sight the same direction that the gun is shooting. Use a dab of whiteout or use a pencil to make a vertical mark on the sight and base to use as a reference. Tap the sight over a small amount and fire another group with your preffered ammo until you get it centered. One trick is to fire a carefully-aimed group (3 shots @ 25 yds.) from a stable rest ie; shooting cradle or sandbags. Remove the bolt and move the rifle while looking through the bore until you have your group centered. With the gun aimed straight at your group, look back up at the sights to see how far off they are, this will give you a good indication of how much and which direction to move the sight.
  5. rtch77

rtch77 G&G Newbie

I have some commercial ammo saving for opening day and after, then I got my hands on ammo from 1940 in plain cardboard boxes. I dust the rounds off, load and fire. The front sight does not move at all, did some reading and its true the front sight (no hood) stays fixed. A 1939 model, has 2 inspection marks, rifling somewhat worn but no tragedy as I hear. Fr sight not made to move otherwise I would have tapped it with brass dowel. How did those on the Eastern Front do it? All the while shivering there was little room to miss. I will experiment with a bipod in kneeling and sitting positions. Windage adjustment would be from front sight, some designs use rear sight like a Marlin lever action or my trusted old M16. I am new to historical weapons and try to keep that fine balance between authenticity and utility. Thanks for the pointers.
  6. ninwnc

ninwnc G&G Newbie

Welcome to the forums !

If you find it hard to find hunting ammo, just reload some for your own use. OR find someone that reloads and learn reloading from them.

Nick
  7. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

the front sight on all K98 mausers is dovetailed, it will move.
  8. rtch77

rtch77 G&G Newbie

Ok I will double check all that thanks! spray front sight, and carefully knock with brass dowel and brace with chunk of 2x4
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  9. Sarge

Sarge G&G Newbie

Yes the front sight blade will move - but only one direction. When you move it and then shoot it watch it closely and see how quick it will fall off! :nono:
    There is NO Windage adjustment on a K98k rifle! If your going to hunt with it you'll just have to gestimate what the wind is doing. I've used either a 98k or a G/K 43 semi to hunt with for 50+ yrs. I have no problem killing Deer & Antelope at all. My deer hunting is in the timber where there is nearly no wind so no problem. The Antelope are on the open prarie and I still have no problem. I've killed an Antelope every time I've gone hunting - 7 of em.
    Sarge
  10. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

it moves, for windage adjustment. if you have to move it so far that it becomes loose in its dovetail, you then stake it in place. even the germans did this.
  11. dogolden

dogolden G&G Newbie

12. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Leftyo wins this one.I removed 3 front sights and the dovetail is the same all the way through.Also you can see where they hammered the dovetail down on the sight to tighten it.A brass drift didnt work too good,I used steel.They stick out about .010 making it easy to drift with just a hammer if that was all you had. sam.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  13. rtch77

rtch77 G&G Newbie

I posted this neat video from bygone days on the thread that followed. Did decent estimating and drifting the entire aim, but this will not do with that far away deer ducking through brush and boulders. I will try other methods carefully since spare parts are costly for my broke ass, and I will not smack the shit out of the front sight. After all this is leisure time for a history buff, so enjoy maintaining and firing old rifles with stories to tell (I will never know).

YouTube - Mauser Rifle
  14. K75RT

K75RT G&G Enthusiast

15. moe1942

moe1942 G&G Newbie

The best method to drift a front sight is to use the tool designed for it. .001 drift will move the impact point 1" at 100 yds.
  16. rtch77

rtch77 G&G Newbie

hey thanks for all the replies, I will definately think of that MOJO sight system for Mauser and Mosin-Nagant too. Always fun to go target shooting in choice spots.
  17. rtch77

rtch77 G&G Newbie

The front does move, used brass pipe fitting for initial adjustment did order that drift tool for Mausers and my Mosin Nagant too. Great experience, shooting target in the woods later cleaning rifle by sunset, next to grill.