Maverick 88 and Mossberg 500

Discussion in 'Mossberg' started by 9mmfan, Jan 13, 2008.

1. 9mmfan

9mmfan G&G Newbie

What do you guys know about Maverick shotguns? I plan on getting a new shotgun for home defense, and a little hunting. I know Maverick is owned under Mossberg and they are cheaper... but what are the differences? Are they still made by the same material? What is the deference in their Warranty?

2. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

I personally like Mossberg. Have you considered the JIC line of shotguns Mossberg has? Check them out. http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=28&section=products

the other thing to consider with Mossberg,the Maverick or even the Remington 870, is that there are a lot of after market accessories for all of them out there.

G-Meister
  3. stitchclimber

stitchclimber G&G Newbie

I own a Mav and a Mossy. They both feel about the same quality but if you have the money I'd go for the Mossy or the Remington 870 like Glock said.

I've heard that you can't change out the foregrip on a Mavrick like you can on a mossy.
  4. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

I sure would like to know about the Mavericks and about what stitch asked about the grips.
    A.H
  5. stitchclimber

stitchclimber G&G Newbie

yeah, when I was buying my maverick I wanted to put more of a tactical fore grip on it because it was the home defense shotgun. And the dealer told me that the Mossberg 500 grips don't work on the Mavericks, and that they don't make a tactical conversion for the Maverick either. He could be full of it, but that's what he told me.
  6. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

stich call Mossberg and see if they sale you the tactical grips they put on there Maverick security models then...A.H
  7. DKA1

DKA1 G&G Newbie

Had a Maverick Pump 3 1/2", like the gun better for Deer Hunting than a Mossy, but it is a very light gun and would kick terrible with 3 1/2" Buckshot. Quit Deer Hunting and sold the Maverick.
  8. Deersniper

Deersniper G&G Newbie

I have a Mav 88, cut to 22" with Truglow sights on it and it has been flawless. H/D to Turkey. Parts should interchange between the two. Made in Texas. You can trick them out.
  9. 9mmfan

9mmfan G&G Newbie

I herd that you can change out grips or stocks on the Mavericks but you can't the forearm grip. I would like to know for sure before I buy one.
  10. stikbutter

stikbutter G&G Newbie

[​IMG]
    Dont let them bullchit you. Maverick 88 HD. Go to shotgun world and then their tactical section all kinds of neat stuff.
  11. PistolCity

PistolCity G&G Newbie

My buddy hunts with a Maverick he seems to like it well. I had another buddy that had one like skitbutter's. But we broke it beleive we broke the firepin. Those guns dont like 3 1/2 turkey loads. And if you do try that I STRONGLY suggest that you hold on tight. When I fired it it jurked out of my forearm hand spun my upper body back, lefted one of my feet up and around and rubbed a nice section of sking between my thumb and indext fingure raw. My buddy who owned the gun, eyes got as big as basketball's and he started jumping up and down yelling my turn my turn.
  12. A-10

A-10 G&G Newbie

I like my mav 88 a lot. It's a sturdy little gun. It's very similar to the 500 except it has a trigger safety and it doesn't have any after-market forends for it. You can however find just about anything else for it including side saddles and butt stocks. It does kick like nothing else with slugs, but hey, that's part of the fun.
  13. buckhunter92

buckhunter92 G&G Newbie

Ive used this gun for couple months now and love it. Had to oil the insides over but thats no big deal. Fired probly about 600 rounds in her so far. Seems to be really rugged. Plus, you cant beat the price of it at wally world. Im sure it would make a really nice HD gun too. And like they already said, there are ALOT of aftermarket parts for this since it can go with Mossbergs 500 hardware. Not too bad of a kick either considering the synthetic stock. But I do know how A-10 feels with the slugs haha.
  14. 81JasonG23

81JasonG23 G&G Newbie

I have a mav88 for HD and I took the tactical fore grip off a mossy500 and put it on my mav with no problems. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. :drive:
  15. zseese

zseese G&G Newbie

I love my mav, 18.5 inch barrell, fold up stock w/ pistol grip, heat sheild with built in ghost sights, dont even want to guess how many rounds have been through it, prolly too many, because of the weight and ease of manuveurability, it is my choice for home defense
  16. unclejer

unclejer G&G Newbie

I own a Mavrick 88 and I love this gun shoots well. I have a NEF Pardner Protector for home defense (an 870 clone ) 18.5 in barrel and 6 shots 169.00 at dicks sporting goods zoom_pardnerpump_protector.jpg
  17. AllAlaskan

AllAlaskan G&G Enthusiast

I have a Mav 88 and have put about 800 rounds through it with no problums at all. Has always worked when I needed it to and has never jammed or malfuntioned in any way. stock for stock with same rounds it has less kick than my buddys Remington 870. For the price cant beet them I would by another if needed. Only thing I dont like is mine only holds up to a 3 inch shell not a 3.5 :(
  18. Jag351

Jag351 G&G Newbie

I had a salesman tell me once that the biggest difference was in the warranty. Apparently the Mavericks have a one year where as Mossberg’s have a 10 year warranty.
  19. sv_libertarian

sv_libertarian G&G Newbie

I was gonna buy a Maverick, but the literature with it warned against using slugs with it. So I didn't. Still haven't bought a pump... I've got a single shot NEF though.
  20. deputy125

deputy125 G&G Newbie

maverick does build a model 88 slug gun i believe........and the riot versions should be slug friendly as well.......don't know about a "no slug" warning unless it is choke related..........

the maverick forearm can be converted to any of the combat acessories versions if a person purchased a mossberg 500 action slide assembly replacement i believe.......but you need to check with mossberg on that.........this does not apply to the early maverick production guns that only had a single action bar--------current mavericks have a dual bar.

the mavericks are assembled in Texas, but i believe that a large part of the weapon is made in mexico, transported to Texas and assembled with some American made parts. kind of burns me with that "made in U.S.A." sticker they put on them----probably refering to the sticker itself............

Seems to be a decent firearm but as previously stated--only a limited warranty. The mossberg does have 10 year warranty but i'm not personally aware of anyone ever needing it for major problems..........
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2008