Maverick 88 vs Mossberg 500

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by Don357, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Don357

Don357 G&G Regular

Other than the trigger group, more specifically the safety, what is the difference between the two? I know Mavericks are made BY Mossberg,(but in China someone told me), so are they sort of like Savage and Stevens? High end and low end, or what?
  2. TNPIRATE

TNPIRATE Landlubber Pirate Forum Contributor

I have a Mavrick 88. It's a nice little shotgun. It is chambered to take up to the 3 inch magnums. It also has the adjustable chokes you can change out. I think it comes with a full choke and you have to buy the modified and the improved from Mossburg. You can also go on the Mossburg site and buy the slug barrel which I did. You can also buy the 18 1/2 inche security barrel and the pistol grip for it.

It holds 5 in the tube and 1 in the pipe. Of course you have to take the plug out of the tube first.
    I think people buy the Mossburg 500 because the tube is longer and holds a couple more rounds in the tube. Which I think could be an easy fix with Mavrick 88. I do not really see anything difficult about changing the tube out.

I must say this little Mavrick 88 is a much better shotgun than the old Winchester Ranger pump. I had a Ranger years ago and after about 5 shots the nut that tightens up on the tube to hold the barrel on always loosened up and would fly off. The Ranger would come apart while you were shooting the dam thing. It was a shotgun that couldn't handle the presure of being a shotgun. The Ranger is the model that was made in china, it was junk.
  3. BarryHalls

BarryHalls G&G Enthusiast

They are like mercury and lincoln.

FOR THE DOLLAR, the maverick may be a better weapon, but I've gotten used to the tang safety and I demand a flat finish.

SO, other than available features, I can't tell the difference. I suspect somd different metals in construction, but the maverick is great, no reason to discount it.
  4. Tha Dave

Tha Dave G&G Enthusiast

I own both A Maverick 88 and a 500. The barrels, stocks,pumps and most other parts are interchangeable. The Maverick is made in Mexicoand assembled in Texas. When I bought the Maverick it had an 18 inch barrel,years later I wanted a duck gun so I started looking for a 28 inch barrel, whatI found was a used Mossberg 500 for $10 more than what just the longer barrelwould have cost me minus shipping, so I bought the 500 and just switched thebarrels. Both are great guns easy to work on and simple to use. If you are on atight budget go with the 88 you will not be sorry, but if you prefer wood saveup a little more coin and get a nice wood stocked 500.
  5. rando

rando G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

I have both and the Maverick is an older one with wood stock unlike many of the newer ones with plastic or composite stocks. The maverick also has a lightweight reciever which I believe is made of aluminum. Both are good and reliable shotguns for small game and slug guns for larger game.
  6. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

They are assembled in Eagle Pass, Texas which happens to be in Maverick County hence the "Maverick" name. Most of the parts do come from Mexico, and I've heard from family in Maverick County that some of the Mossberg production happens there as well. My youngest son has a Maverick that has had a huge amount of ammo put thru it with zero issues.
  7. Ernest

Ernest G&G Newbie

I wish all you fella bragging on your Mossbergs and Mavericks would log onto Black Cloud Storm Chasers, and let those fellas know how you feel about your shotguns...I have found that a large majority of them are real Beretta, and Benelli SNOBS, and will not hesitate to berate anyone who uses any other brand. As for myself, I would not trade my Maverick 88 for anything,
  8. Sparky680

Sparky680 G&G Newbie

i have both the maverick and 500, they are 99% interchangeable, basically if someone asked me which one to buy i would say, for home defense, maverick, for hunting, 500
  9. winston64

winston64 G&G Enthusiast

I traded a wood stove for a Maverick 88 that had never been fired, NIB. As Barry said other than a few extras, basically the same. The fit on the maverick may also need a little tuning, with mine the feed lips would catch slightly on the elevator and would not allow the last shell to feed, 10 min and a fine stone fixed it. For HD, it's a fine weapon.
  10. guns and junk

guns and junk G&G Newbie

The only difference between the MV88 and Mossy 500 is the trigger/safety, the rear stock has now swivel stud attachment, and the forearm design. The MV's have a one piece forearm that comes pre-pinned and the 500 has a 3 piece forearm which consists of: Forearm, Action Slide Assembly Tube, and tube nut. The MV88 are cheaper but when you need to buy a barrelf for it, it'll be the same as the 500 and they cost the same as a new MV88! They are not made in China, they are made in EAgle Pass.
  11. Johnobody

Johnobody G&G Newbie

Exactly what I wanted to find out!

I ran a Google search for 500 vs. 88. This board came up first and answered almost all of my questions. I do have one other.

For his 13th birthday, I gave my older son a Rossi .22lr/20ga combo. He outgrew it before he hit 14.

My younger son is turning 13 in a month. When his Boy Scout troop went to the trap range, my younger son outshot my older son (and me). It seems he has a real gift and I want to help him develop it. I don't want to saddle him with a heavy monster for the gun club outings, but I also don't want to have him outgrow it before Spring, either.

Has anybody seen the youth model of the 88? Would it work to throw a stock extension as he grows or should I just give him the adult model?
  12. pmoney1983

pmoney1983 G&G Newbie

Who would want a youth model mav 88 even if they did make one, since they dont even have a safety? Last thing i would want is my mirror image to operate a firearm with out a safety. Look at the pardner pump. 870 replica also made made in china with amazing results. I own one and have had it for 2 years. I do trap two to three times a week and run a 100 rounds each time through it each time. Not a single issue or failure to date. Consider it seriously. BEST value out there hands down.
  13. nick112207

nick112207 G&G Newbie

That's the second time I've seen you say the maverick 88 has no safety. It has a cross bolt safety like the Remington and h&r so what are you talking about?
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  14. Tha Dave

Tha Dave G&G Enthusiast

There was another member on here that cut down the stock a couple of inches and if I remember right he epoxied a block of wood into the plastic stock and attached a new recoil pad. The trick to doing that is that now you have to drill a hole in the wood so that you can take the block of wood off later on when he is big enough for a full sized stock.

Its been a while but I remember reading about it and thinking about doing it to my 88 so my girlfriend (now exwife, thank God I didnt) would have a better length of pull.
  15. deadzero

deadzero G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

don't know where you get your info from, but it is not correct.
    the Mavrick 88 has a safety in the trigger group just like the Remington 870.
    The Mossy 500 has it's safety on the top rear of the receiver.

I sell guns for a living and handle both models on a daily basis. from a quality standpoint they are both fine weapons with very minor differences. for home defense I have a 500 Mariner, primarily because of the safety on top of the receiver. that way my trigger finger only has to perform one operation....
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  16. deadzero

I wasn't 100% sure yesterday on the youth model Mavrick 88, so I didn't comment on it.

yes, Mossberg does make the Mavrick 88 in a youth model. the Mavrick 88 youth also has the extension shim and larger recoil pad to bring it to the full size length of pull if you choose to add it. this is the same system used on the Mossberg 500 Bantam youth model also.

Our regular retail on all the Mavrick 88's is 219.99
    sale price this week is 179.98

one more thing....
    there is also one other difference between the Mossberg 500's and the Mavrick 88 series not mentioned yet. All Mossberg 500 shotguns, except the .410, are drilled and tapped on top to accept optics or accessories.
    The Mavrick 88 series are not drilled and tapped. But then again, neither are Remington 870's either for the most part. only on very select versions of the 870 are they drilled and tapped. Remington does not do this on their standard production run, but Mossberg does on the 500's.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  17. Don357

Don357 G&G Regular

When did they start d&t-ing 500's, the one I have isn't. It does have a vent-rib barrel, 28" with the 'accu-choke' system.
  18. deadzero

all of our 500 models for as long back as I can remember are drilled and tapped. even my Mossberg Mariner 18.5" barrel that I bought close to 20 years ago is also D&T'd.

That one you have, without a VR, has to be pretty old. Mossberg has been putting VR on everything, except it's 18.5" and 20" tactical shotgun barrels, for a long time. I have no clue as to how far back this goes with them drilling all models (except .410 model 500)

another note: not sure how far back you have to go to find a standard field barrel (26" or 28") by Mossberg that doesn't have a VR. I myself have never seen one, so I have no clue as to what the age of yours may be.

maybe someone else could shed some light on this....
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012