Misfires on Glock 19

Discussion in 'Glock' started by Acetoda, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Acetoda

Acetoda G&G Newbie

Hi all,

I just purchased a new Glock 19. I just took it to the range for the 1st time, and I was disappointed that there were so many misfires. per 10 rd clip, I would have 2-3 misfires, as if the bullet doesnt slide automatically in the barrel. I then inspected the gun, and I found that the barrel rattles a bit. Could this be why it misfires? Is this normal for the G19? I tried multiple times to position the barrel and the spring correctly, but it still turns out loose. I was using Remington UMC 9mm btw (in case its the ammo).

Any help would be appreciated. I just wanna know if I might have received a bad gun. Thanks
  2. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Enthusiast

Pistol barrels are always loose when the slide is back. That's the way it's supposed to be and is not your problem. As for the problem, what exactly is it doing? You say it's misfiring, but from your description it sounds more like a failure to go into battery(which I've never seen in a Glock). Is it that, or a jam, or a failure to fire? We need more info in order to help you.
  3. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Newbie

Welcome to G&G!

Please describe EXACTLY what you are doing and what the gun is doing, in the most detail you can.
  4. SightNSqueeze

SightNSqueeze G&G Newbie

Welcome to G&G. I trained a lot of people on the .40 G22/23, similar to your 9mm G19 with few problems. Problems like yours were fixed quickly by an armorer, never to happen again in the same weapon. Glocks are not the most "fun gun" out there (JMO), but they are dependable, accurate and servicable.
  5. Acetoda

Acetoda G&G Newbie

Thanks for all the responses.

Its actually exactly what jmp8975 said, I do think its a failure to load the bullet completely into the barrel after the initial shot. 1st bullet on the clip would always fire, but on recoil the slide only goes about halfway as the next one is not push in all the way.

I did bring this up to one of my friends who has a G17 and he said out of the box, it was doing the same to him. He suggested that I clean it before I shoot again. I swabbed the barrel with solvent and oiled the slide areas just a while ago as I'm going to an outdoor range tomorrow with some buddies. Hopefully it will resolve the issue.
  6. border Collie

border Collie G&G Regular

Just a thought, are you "limp wristing" that thing? That will contribute to a FTF.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2011
  7. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Enthusiast

Weird. None of the Glocks I've had experience with did that. They all shot right out the box. But, a good cleaning, oiling, and polishing of the feed ramp should fix it.
  8. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Newbie

That is what it sounds like.

A new gun's springs are full strength, and ANY amount of "frame recoil" in the hand, will detract from the slide fully cycling all the way back, and having enough tension to fully push the next round into battery.
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  9. FS00008

FS00008 Сергей Иванович Мосин. Forum Contributor

Limp Wristing.
  10. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

I ask the OP, Is this a new gun or did you buy it used? If used do you know how many rounds have been run through the pistol?

I had the same problem with my G19. There are two ways you can approach this.

1) Send it back to GLock for a tune up. Tune up and small parts are free. All you pay is shipping to Glock. The armorer at Glock told me that all he thought mine needed (doing the same thing yours is) was a new spring kit.

2) Or, you can purchase a new recoil spring install it and will probably be back to reliability the same day.

According to Glock the springs need ot be changed every 5 to 7 thousand rounds.

BTW, I LOVE shooting the G19!
  11. SightNSqueeze

SightNSqueeze G&G Newbie

Yes, there is much to be said of that, though I would hate to say for sure unless I could observe it in person. My best suggestion is to use a good tight "Weaver" or "Modified Weaver" stance, keeping the weapon up to line of sight without "ducking into" the sights. That seems to cure a lot of ills.
  12. Mandy

Mandy FREE CITIZEN Forum Contributor

I'll restrain myself from giving my opinion for the moment, but I'll keep an eye on this one.

When I'm sure of one thing or the other, I'll post..............
  13. GUNZABLAZIN

GUNZABLAZIN G&G Enthusiast

My first thought was "limp wristing". I had a problem with a light load that I handloaded and was letting the Glock (17) roll back with the recoil too fast and not holding my wrist stiff enough. Someone told my to stiffen my wrist a little more and it worked! I then could stiff wrist, or limp wrist and make it fire or not at will!
  14. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Enthusiast

I agree with you.
  15. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

sounds like a newer shooter, with little experience, and he is explaining exactly what happens when you limp wrist a blow back operated pistol. find an experienced pistol shooter and get some pointers.
  16. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

And make sure to use quality ammo, instead of Alabama Ammo reloads from hades.
  17. Zevon

Zevon G&G Newbie

18. Silver Bullet

Silver Bullet G&G Regular

Old thread, but I'll give it a try: First, there's nothing wrong with your Glock 19. It uses a modified Browning lockup that is one of the loosest barrel lockup designs I've ever seen on any pistol. (Probably necessitated by the polymer frame's, 'harmonic vibrations' that occur whenever one of these pistols is fired.)

You've left out a lot of relevant information that prevents anyone from doing anything other than guessing inside this thread. What generation is your G-19? How experienced a pistol shooter are you? How much range time do you have with other Glock pistols?

I regularly shoot, 'a ton' of Remington, 'Green Box' (UMC) ammo - Wal-Mart, right! The recoil springs on older G-19's are 17#'s. On newer G-19's (including many high prefix lettered Gen3 pistols) the recoil spring weight has been increased to 18#'s. When shooting Wal-Mart’s crappy, 'range quality' ammo you're probably going to be better off with a 17# ('reduced power') recoil spring.

You can get 17# springs from Wolff Gunsprings. I, also, use Wolff's NP3 coated steel guide rods in all of my Glocks. They're of, 'non-captured' design and allow fast 'n easy spring swaps with no small end-screws to have to worry about losing. Here is Wolff Gunsprings' Glock home page:

Springs for GLOCK Semi-Auto Pistols

Are you, 'limp-wristing'? With a Glock's: relatively straight grip angle, lightweight polymer frame, and very fast slide cycle speed, 'limp-wristing' is a ridiculously easy gripping mistake to fall into.

Even after more than 50 years of pistol shooting, sometimes when I'm tired I'll occasionally, 'break' my wrist on a shot and cause the, 'next bullet up the magazine' to fail to feed. (There is no question in my mind that the slide is, 'short cycling' on your G-19 - OK!)

You, probably, don't realize it; but the way you describe this problem it is, in all likelihood, a combination of both limp wristing and under-powered ammo that is causing the problem. (You're going to have to start another thread in order to find out how to cure limp-wristing a pistol.)
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  19. Kaybe

Kaybe G&G Enthusiast

If it is not going into battery completely, it could be that the firing pin safety spring had come loose from the firing pin safety and that may keep it from going into battery. Also, make sure the firing pin channel is clean and dry. If ANY lube is in there, it might slow the firing pin down enough to not provide a hard enough hit on the primer. To test the firing pin, to make sure it goes back and forth, Take the slide off- Hold firing pin safety in with your finger- shake the slide back and forth- you should hear the firing pin move back and forth. If you don't, something is slowing it down. Hope this helps
  20. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast