Mistake moving to OR?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by mikld, Apr 7, 2011.

1. mikld

mikld G&G Newbie

I moved to Oregon about 18 months ago. I was overjoyed for the first year, but things are cooling down. In my new home, Brookings, there are three places that sell guns; a large mega-store (Fred Myers), one regular hunting/fishing store, and one little shop on the edge of town. Nobody sells reloading supplies!

Before we moved here I asked around for places to shoot, indoor or outdoor, I didn't care, just a place to shoot. I asked at the Freddy's Sports counter, guys at church ,P.D., I even stopped a guy in the market because he had on a "Ruger" jacket. Not too many answers (the Hunt/Fish store clerk said "some guys just go back up in the bush"). Tried the Police Dept. Very friendly/helpful and even drew a map to a place to shoot (map was WAY off, by 4 miles, and otherwise just inaccurate). I joined a local "Sportsman's Association", but they were more intrested in civic affairs than actually shooting. In the little shop on the edge of town, the owner gave directions to 2 places (one the same as the P.D.). I was able to find one, Snaketooth Canyon. The other place I have yet to find.

Snaketooth Canyon is a dirt road 10 miles out of town and the shooting area is 3 miles up the dirt road. The place is a dump. Trash and beer cans everywhere. Shot up TVs, furniture, and just general junk litter the shooting area. There is a picnic bench (shot-up) and a high table cemented into the ground. Can shoot about 30 yards. Up the dirt road about 2 miles is the "Rifle Area". Same condition but with a berm about 100 yards away. In either of these places there is really only room for one or at the most two people to shoot at once. The only thing organized about the place is the tables cemented into the ground and a "gully" up to a hillside. Plus and a lot of beer cans, broken bottles and junk. I don't have a 4-wheel drive so I don't go up in the hills when it rains (which is most of the time around here), and 3 or 4 miles up a dirt road isn't inviting when it's wet.

I have checked with dozens of folks and the only places to shoot, besides private property, is Snaketooth and a place up by Florence, 3 1/2 hours drive away. I talked online to a guy in Florence that is a member of a "Range Listing Assn." (?) and he too, said no shooting place on/near the coast.

At least in L.A., where I came from, there were places to shoot; one indoor range 15 min. from my house and Angeles Gun Range (first class, big multi use, range), but was 2 1/2 freeway hours away.

So, I'm here (I still love Brookings, and the weather is no prob.) with no place to shoot, no place to buy supplies (closest place is Cave Junction, about 90 miles away) and three new guns to develope loads for (plus 5 .44 magnums that need to be shot). Am I S.O.L.? I've got years and untold $$ invested in my hobby and I don't want to give it up and go fishin'. I hope I didn't make a mistake moving to Orygun (no not Orygun, Oregon).
    Rant/whine over...
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  2. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Can't help ya with a shooting range , But buy your reloading supplies online from Midway, or Natchez, etc. and have it shipped right to your door.
    Saves Gas...
  3. PONTIACDM

PONTIACDM G&G Newbie

Sounds like you may have a business opportunity. If land is cheap where your at, open your own range.
  4. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

Personally, the "dump" you described,and where I am in Illinois and how few places there are for me, I'D LOVE A PLACE LIKE YOU DESCRIBED. lol

And I'd have to agree with PONTIACDM. I'd do it hear but land is too expensive not to mention the EPA and others would make it damn near impossible as well as most banks won't finance something like this under a more normal and better economy let alone with how things are now? Might be worth looking into where you're at. Until then, go out into the bush and have a ball.
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  5. roggom

roggom G&G Enthusiast

6. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

I lived in Eugene for several years and had the same problem.
    Weirhauser used to allow shooting on their land until the junk started showing up by the truckloads; they tolerated that until some folks shot up some of their logging machines and vehicles. Now they have roving guards to keep people off their land.
    I'm not sure where Brooking is located but presume it's along the coast. No shooting areas around there that I know of.
    Land around you is probably expensive but is still an option to build you a private range in the country.
    There is a really nice indoor range in Eugene; the Baron's Den. There is also a nice but rustic outdoor range near Marcola. I know that's not much help.
    Now I'm in Missouri and have my own pistol range and am working on a rifle range. Good things come to those who wait...lol
  7. mikld

mikld G&G Newbie

Brookings is in the south west corner of the state, just a few miles north of the CA border. LOTS of retired CA folks, me too. Nice place to live except for a lack of shooting spots.
  8. FromTheWoods

FromTheWoods G&G Newbie

Yup, you made a mistake, and some of us might be happier were you to expediently rectify it. Maybe you should just move back to where you feel comfortable.

Take a bit of initiative. Stop expecting others to point you to a shooting place. Native Oregonian here for over 1/2 century, and if you get out of town, head for the woods, you will find a place to shoot--unless you are looking for a row of covered benches, a crowd!, and a range-master to accomodate you.

Dang, you do sound whiney.

As for the loading supplies. Good advice, use the mail if you have no local outlets. Or when you decide to go somewhere, do your homework and include a supplier on your route.

I normally don't respond to threads if I am not able to be positive. Guess I made an exception in your case. Must have been those big tears streaming down my computer screen.
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  9. sniper1958

sniper1958 G&G Newbie

10. PONTIACDM

PONTIACDM G&G Newbie

That was kind of uncalled for don't ya think?
  11. FromTheWoods

FromTheWoods G&G Newbie

Could be "uncalled for." Something about the post--the pi**ing and bemoaning his plight like that seemed to invite an honest answer beyond, "Have a clue--It's Brookings! What did you expect from a town that is a fraction of the size of LA!"

If he wants to come up to Oregon and live in a small and somewhat isolated town, then he can make the best of it, or as he prompted--rectify his "mistake."

I could go on, but it would be adding more negativity. I don't know the fellow. Maybe he's a bit homesick. Maybe he's a good fellow having an off day. So, yes, perhaps my response was not in the proper frame. Or no, he could move back down south and live with the surroundings he seems to prefer/want.
  12. mikld

mikld G&G Newbie

Your responce is underwhelming to say the least. Most all the folks I've met in Oregon are nice good people, unlike this reply. Whiney, that's a good one! I won't trade insults with you here as I've come across civil members of this forum and won't go there with one that isn't.

FYI, I just got 4 lbs. of powder and 2K primers from Graf's via the big brown truck. If you read my original post you'd see that I was explaining the lack of shooting related businesses in town, meaning that there must be little intrest for shooting in this town of 6,000. I would much prefer to get supplies from local sources rather than from faceless online companies. And I've been buying mail order (for you that's when you put an order in an envelope and send it to the company, then they ship your order back to you, and you don't have to poke on a computer!), for several years before reloading components were available online.

Most of the land "back in the woods" is privately owned or BLM that is leased to loggers. Only an idiot would go up in the woods and start shooting, not knowing what's behind all those trees, but I guess you would, wouldn't you. Homes/farms are seen up to 3 miles off the hwy (there's only one North ans South Hwy. along the coast) on side roads and cows and sheep aren't good targets.

Oh, your reply was a bit helpful, I was beginning to think I had finally found a place with no a__holes...
  13. FromTheWoods

FromTheWoods G&G Newbie

From mikld: "Rant/whine over... "

Mikld,
    I apologize for the annimosty that reeks from my original post. Not a good way to aid in keeping the forum a welcoming place.

I could have worded my distaste of your attitude in a less antagonistic vein.
  14. FromTheWoods

FromTheWoods G&G Newbie

And as for an absence of a88holes: you are not going to escape them all. They seem to crop up everywhere. Most of us take on that role once in a while whether we are intending to stink or not.

One of the best ways to avoid recognizing their presence often is to not linger too long in front of a mirror.
  15. bobvonb

bobvonb G&G Enthusiast

gentlemen, quite an amusing thread. I re-read the OP and really didn't see much of an attitude there, just bemoaning the lack of gun stores and nice shooting spots, but apparently someone else read it differently. More facts than attitude, IMHO. The OP seems to like Oregon just fine, but did want some help in one area.

The consensus down below here in California has been that Oregonians might not exactly welcome new residents from below. I can understand that. We here in Ca. typically say, "Welcome to California! Go to Disneyland and the beach then go home!" because of overpopulation. But despite that tongue in cheek epithet we might be a bit more welcoming than some other places.

As the OP mentioned, shooting is not dead in CA, just a few funny laws to follow, but I have the guns I want and places to shoot and hunt and a beautiful state to boot! CA bashing is almost a national sport, but there are a few dozen reasons why we like it anyway..

great beaches, great weather, the Sierra Nevada, Yosemite, Tahoe, Mammoth and Squaw Valley, Mt. Shasta, nice mountain communities like Idlywild, Big Bear and Arrowhead, the gold country, the central coast is idyllic (I can't imagine anyone going through Paso Robles or San Luis Obispo and not wanting to live there), the bay area and the Golden Gate, the central valley that feeds America, wonderful wide open deserts, and maybe the most beautiful place of all, Pebble Beach.

Now I've been through Oregon many times and it is nice too. I like the coast, the middle route, and the eastern routes best of all) through the state. It's kind of crazy not being able to pump your own gas and those purple milk shakes in Bend are interesting. Portland and the Columbia are awesome. But if I move it might be to Northern California, but not over the state line.
  16. mikld

mikld G&G Newbie

bobvonb,

I had researched places to retire for 6 years prior to escaping LA. Northern CA was nice, beautiful and welcoming. Our only problem is/was the weather; snow & cold in winter, and blazing hot in summer (Shasta, Dunsmuir, area), so we gravitated toward the coast. Fortuna is a great place. Small town atmosphere with all I needed; fishing in ocean and rivers, shooting range in town and lots of hunting north a few miles. The only drawback is it's still in CA! I worked civil service for the last 25 years and saw, first hand, CA and big city politics at it's best. I don't have anything to compare it to but CA politicians are prolly worst than Chicago. What I saw and had info on turned my stomach so I escaped CA as much as "retired out of state" (a full 79% of all City of LA retirees leave CA!). If it weren't for that I would have settled in Fortuna. We drove a little north and found and fell in love with Brookings (I wanted further north, but wife liked the clean, friendly small town). So, I'll keep hunting a place to shoot (and I will find one), and keep buying supplies on line, but I miss the old guys hanging out at the funstore swappin' lies...
  17. bobvonb

bobvonb G&G Enthusiast

I hear that. If it weren't for family (particularly grandkids) I might make the move too. New Mexico is high on the list. Near Cloudcroft or Ruidoso maybe. But if it weren't so remote I think I'd like Alturas in the northeastern-most corner of the California. I'd like it but it might be too much of a shock for the CSO (chief shopping officer) ... of course, as I said, a vineyard between Paso Robles and Cambria might not be too bad either.

As it is I'm not all that unhappy. 45 minutes to miles of unobstructed desert shooting. Year-round golf. 1 1/2 hrs to Disneyland, Dodgers, Angels, 2 to the Lakers. 2 1/2 hrs to Laughlin, 3 hrs to Vegas, 2 hrs to the beach, 1 hr to Big Bear at about 7,000' for hiking and hunting. And all the elbow room one could want here in the desert. A view of three 12,000 ft snow capped peaks out my back window.
  18. mikld

mikld G&G Newbie

Yep when I lived in S. CA all those things were available, but I found that whatever I wanted to do, at least 5,000 people wanted to do the same thing at the same time at the same place! Way too many people (last time I went shooting outside Cajon summit, I nearly got shot by some other yahoo that didn't look beyond his target). I realized I hadn't been to Disneyland since relatives visited in '86, and the other attractions lost their appeal when a riot broke out at Dodger Stadium during a game I attended, and a friend's car was stolen from a parking lot near The Coliseum in downtown LA. Restaurants and shopping were great, but the price to pay was too much for me (crowds and traffic, I drove in and around L.A. every day). So, I escaped L.A. and don't regret a moment of my Oregon time...
  19. bobvonb

bobvonb G&G Enthusiast

no real argument there. I live just far enough out to have those things available if I want them but we are mostly away from the crowds. I go to one Dodger game a year, have a Dodger dog and except for traffic exiting the stadium it's OK. I can go to several minor league games and have just as much fun for 1/10 the cost. But being on the fringes I'm finding the LA metro area continues to expand and the fringes are not so far out anymore. Sometimes it's hard to describe just how darn big the "LA area" is.

If I can convince my kids and grandkids to move too it wouldn't be much of a question, but it ain't all bad.
  20. arvetus

arvetus G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

No whineyness noted.
    OP, I can feel your pain. I think it's pretty natural because I still go through the same type of thing. I've been in TX for 4 years and it's been a GREAT move overall, and I LOVE Texas, but there are some things that are just still foreign to me and I'm just still trying to get used to it.

I think that with time you will settle in and adapt. You are used to the way things used to be where you used to live. Expound on your new-found opportunity and use what you see as your disadvantages to your advantage. Maybe start a shooting club or something.

I dunno...it's easy for me to say, but I'm in the same boat here in TX. I'm still getting used to the way things work here as far as shooting, hunting, etc. For the most part, it's a good improvement: lax gun laws, long hunting seasons, wider selection of animals to hunt, etc. Although the only part I do not like is that deer hunting in TX is all about money and antler points. When I lived up north, deer hunting was about comradery, brotherhood and winter meat. Can't even make good soup out of them antlers anyway...