Model 11, and sportsman need advice

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by Kad Skirata, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Kad Skirata

Kad Skirata G&G Enthusiast

Minneapolis, AKA: The liberal pit of Sarlacc
    Went to my LGS today to look at a Baikal single 16ga for $100 and ended up seeing a shotgun I have wanted for since I was a teenager. I have been looking for a Model 11 to come into an LGS for some time now. I love the style, and weight of them. My most frequented shop has just stocked a Sportsman, and a regular Model 11. The sportsman is $189 and the plain jane one is $219. They both appear to be in the same excellent/like new condition as if they have been used very little, if at all so condition isn't a consideration. I like the shorter barrel on the Sportsman the engravings, and that after tax and a couple boxes of shells it runs me less than the plain Jane model pre-tax.

Is there a significant difference between the two that would cause the Plain model 11 to be worth more, and is it worth the extra $30 when I like the Sportsman better? I have heard the older models have a leather block for the recoil can be dry rotted, or entirely missing so cost of replacing it would have to be considered. I know that there are 3, and 5 round capacity models and this could be the cause of the price difference.
    I am mostly looking for opinions of owners/shooters of these guns that have used both models as to which I should snap up. I would also appreciate some advice as to what to watch out for. I would really like to add one of these to my collection, and possibly have the roommate pick up the other since they appear to have come from the same resource.

If it doesn't work out I will probably pick up the Baikal and A Marlin Model 60, or 70 instead since all I really need is a single shot for HD, and I want another Marlin rimfire.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  2. winchesterlover

winchesterlover G&G Newbie

I have a 5 shot sportsman model i have redone. look at the thread about show us rebuilt shotguns.
    I love em. got luck with mine, as for price diffrence not much other than condition. I feel they should be worth as much as a browning as that is what they are. I have seen the milatary models go for good money.
    nice find!!!! would love to find one in 20 gage for a cheap price.
  3. Kad Skirata

I was hoping for a 16ga, but the 12ga will do nicely for the price and condition. I will probably get the Sportsman being they seemed equal in condition, and mechanical soundness. Unfortunately I will have to risk waiting until payday next week because I had unexpected expenses come up literally hours before I was headed out to buy it. They have always been my favorite old shotguns. Just the sound and feel of the heavy bolt releasing would have been enough to win me over if the aesthetics hadn't already. I never thought I would find one nevermind two in such great condition for the price. They are at least $400 currently if not over a grand a piece in much rougher condition on the auction sites I have looked at.
  4. ottawa rogue

ottawa rogue G&G Enthusiast

is it possible that the sportsman is a 3 shot and the model 11 is a 5 shot?

i have a sportsman 48 which is the gun that replaced the model 11, same action and such.

the main difference between it and a 11-48 is a three shot capacity and it's not quite as fancy
  5. Kad Skirata

The capacity is what I was thinking made the difference. I really want both of them, but can't quite swing it. Hopefully at least one is there on Friday and maybe the issue will be decided for me. I will be happy with whichever I end up with.