modifications to SKS

Discussion in 'SKS' started by shjf, Mar 27, 2007.

1. shjf

shjf G&G Newbie

Was wondering what modifications I could do to the SKS to make one look more modern.Different stock ,scope mounts maybe being able to adapt the rifle for a detachable mag. instead of the fixed one. Or should I just purchase a AK-47 and just accept the SKS for what it is.
  2. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Many of us have found the various "modern mods" just arne't worth the expense and trouble, not to mention the legality issues of some. The SKS is happiest when in original issue configuration. For the same money you'd spend on the mods, get a good AK! You'll be happier. :)
  3. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 Retired Moderator

I think you said it best to accept the SKS as it is and get an AK for the things you want to be different. You'll enjoy both more, I'm serious. I love my SKS as it is.
  4. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 G&G Newbie

Perhaps a good scout scope mount and a decent aftermarket stock. These would be the only two mods I would think about making.
  5. SKS NOOB

SKS NOOB G&G Enthusiast

To mod one, I would just get one that had a really bad stock on it then make the changes. Past that, if the sks is in REALLY good or unissued condition, I would not make any changes....or at least make changes that can easily be brought back to its original look. :)
  6. sickwitem

sickwitem G&G Newbie

I say FaQk that....give it a Tapco upgrade....look at it then see what you think....the mags are the best duckbills you can get right now...IMHO....thats what im doing....its a killer rifle man, for a 7.62, DRAG THE WATERS!!!
  7. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

a secret lab on the shores of lake titicaca
    do whatever you think is best for you but.. just buy an ak.imo
  8. BattleRifleG3

These prices are pulled out of thin air, but:

SKS: $150
    Tapco Stock: $80
    5 Tapco mags: $100
    US compliance parts (piston and op rod): $40
    Total: $370

And you have a harder time putting the mags in (even the best duckbills are still duckbills), a larger and more awkwardly balanced rifle (with the new P-grip and all), and have to worry about your US vs foreign parts count to stay legal.

WASR-10: $350
    Telescoping buttstock: $50
    5 military mags: $50
    Total: $450

And that's just if you HAVE to have a telescoping stock. You have something designed for more sustained fire, able to take more common mags (almost all of which are reliable), already outfitted with adequate US parts, and sized and balanced correctly for the separate P-grip.
  9. SKS NOOB

SKS NOOB G&G Enthusiast

BRG#, those prices, even though rough, would get you a good hunting rifle with NO mods on it. So, whether you're plinking or hunting with it, it's STILL much cheaper for a sporting rifle. At least from my perspective. :werd:
  10. BattleRifleG3

Agreed, I was assuming he was looking for a semi-auto X39.

A hunting rifle wouldn't need any mods, but it would need a decent scope, and open sites aren't so common anymore.
  11. Rave

Rave G&G Enthusiast

SKS are best just the way they are,change the stock if you must,but other than that don't try to make an AK out of it,buying an AK is cheaper and much more reliable.:bigeyes:
  12. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

a secret lab on the shores of lake titicaca
    You forgot the BONUS part, then you have one of each!!!!!!!!!:banana:
  13. shjf

shjf G&G Newbie

Thanks for all the replies,I was on MidwayUSA site and seen all the affermarket mods you can do.If I were to modify one Id want the SKS's receiver and barrel to be in real good shape so I was to feel better in dumping that much money back into a $139.00 SKS.
  14. Beer Forever

Beer Forever G&G Newbie

Don't modify the SKS! It is a big mistake that cost me money, time, and my sanity.
  15. Rave

Rave G&G Enthusiast

Very good,hadn't thought of that!:pat: :biggthumpup:
  16. COYOTE10663

COYOTE10663 G&G Newbie

shjf, I have the upmost respect for BigDog & BRG3, and they are verry wise about the SKS series rifles. However, I have to disagree on this one issue. I am of the sort that I debate on EVERY purchase over $100 for days & days before spending my VERRY hard earnd cash on anything. If you will look up all the posts I have made, you will find some interesting (albet, comical sometimes) stories. Bottom line, I have spent quite a bit of money on my Yugo SKS, and can HONESTLY say it, for the most part, was worth it. "Beuty is in the eye of the beholder". I LOVE mine. Olive drab green Choate Dragunov stock(EXELENT fit & verry high quality) "Made in the USA" 5 round detatchable mag (COMPLETE WASTE OF MONEY ON THAT ONE!!!!! Trust me (and the 40+ others that told me to stay with the fixed mag), save your $20+ and keep the orriginal fixed mag!) Busenell 4-12x X 40mm AO scope. I have a lot of custom fitting that I have done between the reciever cover & breech to make it Rock Solid, Tapco gas piston rod and gas tube,(Great investment!) (Stainless steel gas valve & 18 prot muzzle break comming soon) and I consistently shoot 1.5" 100 yard groups with Winchester ammo. Yours may be different, but, so far, I have YET to find a "cheap" ammo that my gun will shoot well. So I just stick to the Winchesters. As a footnote, I get those groups with the gas valve shut off, firing the gun like a bolt action. I know this is a long post, but I believe it may be of some help to you.
  17. oldsarge

oldsarge G&G Newbie

Will the T6 stocks fit a SKS Paratrooper? I would like to save the wood that came with it as new.But I really like shooting it and don't want to ding up the wood.
    Thanks
    Oldsarge
  18. BattleRifleG3

If you like the result, more power to you. My concern is with people trying to make an SKS do what an AK does for less money. An SKS will never do what an AK does, it wasn't built for such sustained fire and capacity.

However, if you treat the SKS as a rifle (vs a carbine) and make aimed shots at targets, and happen to prefer the P-gripped T6 stock, and want to use a full length scope thar requires using detachable mags (try Tapcos), then more power to you. I've actually been tempted to set up a second SKS that way.

But DON'T think that putting a P-grip stock and a hi-cap mag in an SKS makes it a tactical carbine to do what an AK does for less $$$. That's my only concern.
  19. oldsarge

oldsarge G&G Newbie

Battle are you commenting on Coyote's post? I would really like your opinion on my question if you can.I'm not looking to make my paratrooper an AK.(Can't be done).I'm a little up in years and like to shoot the o'l girl.I just don't want to screw up the stock out in the woods or at the range.About 100yrds is about as far as I can see now anyway.
    Thanks
    Oldsarge
  20. BattleRifleG3

Yes, my comment was to Coyote's post.
    I suppose preserving the original stock is one reason to use a polymer stock.
    HOWEVER, if that's all you need to do, you can get military wood stocks very cheaply.
    I'm not 100% sure the same stocks will interchange, but anyone who has both can tell you. If anything, it would be length only.