Moist burgers

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by trapfreek, Jun 17, 2008.

1. trapfreek

trapfreek G&G Newbie

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas to keep grilled burgers moist after cooking. We are having about 35 people over and I wanted to have the cooking done before they arrive so I can clean up a bit and get the smoke smell off of me. My nefew suggested beer and worchestershire sauce and let the burger set in that. Do you think that would work?
  2. Amarksman

Amarksman G&G Newbie

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  3. TexasT

TexasT Devil's Advocate >:) Forum Contributor Forum Contributor

If you've got a mechanism to catch the drippings you could put the burgers in that after cooking. Also, don't cook it to well done. That will also help some of the juices stay in.
  4. Dookiebutt

Dookiebutt G&G Newbie

To me, the key is to not smash them down too hard when you form them. Too keep a burger moist, you have to start with a moist, tender burger. If you work the meat too much, you get a harder, dry burger. Does that make sense?
  5. AKHunter

AKHunter G&G Newbie

MY burgers are moose burgers with 0% fat. I BBQ them on low heat after preheating the grill, cook them till almost done (when juice is starting to seep out)them remove them. They are always juicy. If you want to cook a bunch ahead of time, cook them low and to just past medium rare and put them in a warm oven, covered, and add a cast iron or stainless dish with water in it, to the oven to keep the air moist. They should be OK for about 20-30 minutes.
  6. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

Good Luck on what ever you do. Personaly I don't like like a grilled hamburger thats been rewarmed up. They just don't taste as good.
    The crock pot idea sounds like the best idea and there still should be plenty of juice in the burgers with out haveing to add water.
  7. TheWanderingMind

TheWanderingMind G&G Newbie

Ancient Chinese? Swiss? American? secret: Pop the top on a brewski when you get ready to cook them. Pour a little on top of each patty after you get them on the grill. Repeat when you think about it. (Between sips?)

The beer adds moisture and a really good taste - and the alcohol burns off in the heat, so it's safe even for the preacher!
  8. cremley

cremley G&G Newbie

Colorado, with all the pot smoking libtards -_-
    just cook them medium rare to medium and use Worcestershire's sause while making the patties and while cooking along with other seasonings such as garlic powder if you got any. I would also suggest cutting up some onions into really fine pieces and mixing them in with the meat. After they are cooked and still hot, put them in a container and put just a little worchestirshire sauce on each one and cover it with foil. I would then put it in an oven set at its lowest setting to keep them warm and the sause should stay in the container and keep them moist. I don't remember if I have tried this or not but I think it will work. just don't cook the patties too long and make them a little thick as well as keeping them moist before and during cooking. I hope my two cents works!! let us know how they turn out.
  9. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

All good suggestions !! I put a pat of butter in the center of the patty before cooking. Keeps them good and moist. If you only use one side of the grill, you can cook them over direct heat until med-rare then move them off the heat and cover while you go clean up.
  10. GDawg

GDawg G&G Newbie

I get a fattier meat 70/30 and under cook them (browned on the outside and pink on the inside). Then I put them in the oven covered on about 180* to 250* to keep them warm depending on how long I expect them to sit.
  11. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Get a smoker

and cook them with steam and hickory smoke. You can inject them or simply form them into patties with a good sauce. Smoking produces a really moist, juicy, patty. Your guests will love it and you can (after some experience) time it out for their arrival then take it fresh out of the smoker.