Mosin Bull Barrel? Yes Please...

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Timd1978, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Timd1978

Timd1978 G&G Newbie

I emailed lothar walther about making a Mosin Nagant Bull barrel:

I am considering getting a new barrel made for my Mosin 91/30. I know this is crazy because it would cost far more than the gun would ever be worth; however, I am seriously considering this. How much would something of that nature cost (rough estimate) if it were a fluted bull barrel?

Respectfully,

Tim D.

Here is the response I got:

Tim,

The barrel in normal steel would be about $400 and fluting would be $150. + Shipping.

They can make it (it's even listed on one of their drop down menus) and I am thinking that would be sweet and I have imagined the day I could do that for years...but would it really help that much?? Let's hear some opinions...
  2. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

Why do you want a bull barrel?
  3. wunhunglo

wunhunglo G&G Newbie

Well, I've recently taken delivery of a Lothar barrel and they have a good reputation for quality, I haven't shot it yet will post details of how it performs later.

A new barrel should improve the Mosin's accuracy somewhat. I don't know if the fluting would be worth the extra but it's your call. Who am I to say somebody is nuts?
  4. PSLMAN

PSLMAN G&G Enthusiast

A bull barrel, squaring the receiver face, and lapping the bolt's locking lugs should yield some improved accuracy. Hand loading and installing an adjustable trigger would help as well. The stock would have to be custom made but I'm sure something could be made to fit.

It would be an interesting and unique project...Not that I've really given it any thought.
  5. Timd1978

Timd1978 G&G Newbie

Why not...I like the look of the bull barrel and I am getting a rediculous tax return this year, so the thought hit one night..."that would be a really cool look and I think it would improce the accuracy quite a bit"

BUT...I always want to check with those who know more than me to make sure that it would in fact improve tha accuraccy enough to make a difference. I am also wondering how this ammo would perform with it:

Google Image Result for http://deuce45s.com/images/762x54mmR%20Nickel%20Tracer%20Ammo.jpg
  6. Timd1978

Timd1978 G&G Newbie

(I posted this reply earlier but a moderator needed to aporve it for some reason)

Why not?? I like the look of the bull barrell and I got a rediculous tax return this year. I was sitting there the other night thinking about what to spend it on and after it was all said and done I still had about 2k left over, so I though ..."that would be sweet looking to have a Bull Barrel on a Mosin and I bet it would improve the accuracy too."

However, I always want to consult with those who know more than me to make sure the accuracy difference would be significant enough. I also wonder how this ammo would perform:

7.62 x 54R cal. Winchester FMJ Nickel Ammo made by Deuce 45's, Inc

Attached Files:

7. PSLMAN

PSLMAN G&G Enthusiast

^Don't know how that ammo would perform but it's the prettiest 7.62X54R that I've ever seen.
  8. Timd1978

Timd1978 G&G Newbie

No kidding! The same company has tracer, incendiary rounds, and B-32 Armor Piercing Incendiary (API) rounds for it too.
  9. MosinMan

MosinMan G&G Enthusiast

Nothing will perform as good as a handload, and before you do this... don't go tearing apart something special!
  10. Ninja Piper

Ninja Piper G&G Enthusiast

^ I agree. It definitely sounds like an interesting project and I would love to see how it turns out for you, but I would make sure you have one of the really common ones before you alter a rare model. If it's a common one, go for it and let us know how it works! Good luck!
  11. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

whats so special about a McRifle?? turned out by the millions. a $80-$150 rifle is no rare and valuble collector item.

drinking a fine Burgundy with your Big Mack and fries, will not make it something special. the man has the means and the desire. so go for it.:biglaugh:
  12. PSLMAN

PSLMAN G&G Enthusiast

If you have a gun shop close by you might check to see if they have a beater in the scrap gun rack. My local shop buys junk guns for parts and has a round receiver Izzy in the rack.
  13. R5CYA

R5CYA G&G Newbie

if you do it, make sure you get a bore that shoots .308" bullets. why go for a size that limits bullet choice?
  14. Archetype_wyo

Archetype_wyo G&G Enthusiast

Buy me a CZ-82 :) haha. Don't forget you could drill and tap the receiver and get a legit PU scope and mount. Get one of those FINN match stocks.
  15. Timd1978

Timd1978 G&G Newbie

I thought about that...but I also thought about getting one of those scope mounts from Rock Solid Industries...they CLAIM to get SubMOA at 800 yrds with one...I'd pay money to see that (so the jury is till out on that).

I am still not sure I want to try the Bull Barrel on the Mosin...the big questions is, Would it improve the accuracy enough to really make a difference?? I love the look but paying that much for just the look would make me seem crazy (like i don't already :Eyecrazy:)...Just wanna consult the experts that it would really truly benefit the accuracy.
  16. Whootsinator

Whootsinator G&G Newbie

Mosin receivers aren't exactly a work of art. If you really want to build a match mosin send off the receiver to be worked on by a legitimate smith. If you don't go all out on this project you will be disappointed in the final outcome in relation to your expenses and efforts.
  17. kortik

kortik Suspended

I agree with Whootsinator - even if barrel, ammo, trigger, etc is real good, receiver and bolt on typical Mosin is not something exactly suitable for match grade rifle. Also, Finns discovered that long bull barrel is a bit too heavy for MN receiver, so use of barrel block
    was suggested to handle bedding issues. Short bull barrel will be probably good, mostly to reduce heat related change in POI. Personally, I wouldn't put bull barrel on standard MN, but rather would spent money on getting the "fresh" MN with strong sharp rifling and then
    tune it up as much as possible.
  18. Whootsinator

Whootsinator G&G Newbie

If you want to really make it interesting, go for a 20 - 24 inch barrel.
  19. wunhunglo

wunhunglo G&G Newbie

If you want to make it really interesting go for a 32" barrel, if you don't like it you can always shorten it!
  20. Archetype_wyo

Archetype_wyo G&G Enthusiast

Or just straight up buy one of those FINN Match rifles. I can't remember or find where they were listed, but it seems to me they were $999 with match-style peep sights.

EDIT::

FOUND IT!!! http://www.empirearms.com/28-76.htm
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2010