Mosin Nagant Prices:

Discussion in 'Mosin Nagant' started by TNPIRATE, Jan 25, 2012.

1. TNPIRATE

TNPIRATE Landlubber Pirate Forum Contributor

Well folks gots a question concerning the Mosin Nagant. I know that when I lived in Calif Big 5 Sporting Goods was sellin them for about 89 bucks. But now I live in Lower Middle Tennessee. I found one at a local pawn shop and he is asking 169.00 out the door, tax and background check. Now for giggles I called a Big 5 store in Calif just to see how much they were going for out there. The Big 5 price is 119.00 plus tax and back ground check. Now I am thinkin that the 169.00 out the door price in Tennessee isn't a bad price.
    But is there anything special I should look for?

:swordfight:
  2. R5CYA

R5CYA G&G Newbie

you forgot to say what it was . if it's one of the newer re-arsenaled mosins, there's not a lot to worry about. if it hasn't been rearsenaled, you have to make sure the headspace is correct, bore is good, that the ejector/interupter is good and the extractor. no cracks or burrs in the chamber. rifling ok. muzzle not worn out and needing a counter-bore or re-crown. same stuff as any other used firearm.
  3. TNPIRATE

That's just it, I have seen a few of them, but have never fired one. Never picked one up until today. So how do you know if one has been
    re-arsenaled? I looked at the one at the local pawn broker today and the only thing the guy said was that it still has (if I remember right) mosqolien on. I am guessing that is what it is packed in to prevent rust,

A friend of my son who lives in Calif bought one at Big 5 Sporting Goods. his only complaint is the price of ammo.

4. Hog Red

Hog Red G&G Newbie

that's on the high side if it's a run of the mill 91/30. not too bad if it's a m44. way too many variables to make a judgement. do some research online to get familiar with them before you buy. Better yet get your C&R license so you can order them online and delivered to your door.
  5. writerinmo

writerinmo G&G Regular

I'm sure he was referring to cosmoline, a very interesting greaselike stuff to remove, some people end up taking days or weeks to get all of it out of there!
  6. goat roper

goat roper G&G Enthusiast

Also, if you just want a regular 91/30, you should look on line at AIM, J&G, and a couple of others. If you add their prices, including shipping, to the cost of the transfer and background, it should be less than $169. Shop around for a low transfer fee. The FFL's can charge what ever they want to. Some people here want $95 for a transfer. I found one, who would do up to 3 guns for $20. As Hog Red said though, get your C&R. It's $30 for 3 years. You can have any legal firearm that is 50 years old or older delivered to your door, without paying the transfer or background. Then you can buy lots of them.

Learn about cleaning a mosin in the stickey above.

Oh, ammo costs about $.18 a round. That's not very expensive for rifle cartridges.

Verne
  7. 9mmXDm

9mmXDm Suspended

Is this a 91/30, m44, m38, m59? Is it round or hex receiver? Is it a Finnish captured rifle? Is it an ex-sniper? All things to take into account here when talking price.

91/30 it is too much and you should look online.
    m44,m39,m59 depending on condition it would be worth it.
    Finnish capture or ex-sniper would be worth it too.

Also does it have all matching numbers? Are the force matched...
  8. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I bought 3 really nice Tula hexes with all matching stamped numbers including the bayonet in Nov. and December. The most expensive one cost me $112 and some change out the door. My local Cabela's has them at $149.00 but very frequently has them on sale for $99.00.

If the one at your local pawn shop has some collectable characteristics or is some model other than a 91/30, it could be worth $169.00. If though it is just another run of the mill 91/30 with no unusual features that would be over priced to me. JMO
  9. roggom

roggom G&G Enthusiast

You can go here Find An FFL - FFL Dealer Locator find an ffl and see if the online cost + shipping and transfer is cheaper. Some FFL's in my are transfer for only $15.
  10. TNPIRATE

Thanks all. Taking all info and soaking it into the brain cells. Of course the brains cells are slightly used and have to re-read a couple of times.
    I am most likely going to head back down to the pawn shop and get some more info today.

Like I said I have never shot one nor looked at one, so this is all new to me with the Mossin. I have always been familure with the American firearms. So I guess in my fairly old age it is time to learn something new. Maybe this ol dog can learn a new trick.

writerinmo, you are right it was cosmoline. The pawn shop guy said there was still a little on the rifle.

The pawn shop guy said that it was an old Russian sniper rifle. So today I am going to go ask some questions. And believe me if I don't understand what the guy is telling me I will be getting back on here and askin questions. I had rather look like a dumby behind a computer screen than in a shop in front of a bunch of people LOL.

And one last question. Is it very hard to get a C&R License?

Thanks again for all the info.

11. tommyt654

tommyt654 G&G Newbie

TNPirate I'd look around at the local guns show before I'd pay that price if its a 91/30 as you can p/u 1 for $100 easily at most gunshows in the south. A C&R is fairly easy to get from what I have read and the biggest thing is the waiting time. But if all your gonna do is buy 1 or 2 then I wouldn't
    bother with it. If your going to get into collecting and have an abundant supply of money then go for it.
  12. 9mmXDm

9mmXDm Suspended

Your going to want to bone up on info to make that informed choice. Take a look at this site, 7.62x54r.net

Wealth of knowledge there. You don't need to go into the forum to find it, just look through the links to find the info.
  13. TNPIRATE

Thanks, I;ll take a look at it.

14. TNPIRATE

Went back down to the pawn shop this morning. And am still thinkin about the Mossin. I did find out that it is a Russian M91. It has all the Russian markings and has enough of that cosmoline stuff to protect it for a life time.

15. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

If it is an M91, and not an 91/30, then that might be the going price
  16. writerinmo

writerinmo G&G Regular

A lot of people who aren't familiar with the different variations of the Mosin rifles seem to think they're ALL sniper rifles, they must have watched "Enemy at the Gates" too many times.
  17. cheapblaster

cheapblaster G&G Enthusiast

A C&R is easy. You must be 21 years old or older, not be prohibited from owning firearms, and have 30 bucks to send in along with the application.
    Fill out the two forms linked on the lower right and send them along with your payment. Can take a few weeks to a few months.

ATF Online - Forms - ATF F 5310.16 Instructions
  18. goat roper

goat roper G&G Enthusiast

Where I live, having a C&R saved me money on the first Mosin I bought after I got it. The background check here costs $25, and the cheapest transfer I have found is $20. So, on the first one, I saved $15. On the next one, I saved $45, and $45 on the one after that........... I guess it depends on what the fees are in your area.

Why, if the Brady is a National program, does the background check cost more or less from state to state? I have heard that they are less than $25 in other places.

Verne
  19. Iron_Colonel

Iron_Colonel G&G Newbie

It sounds like most likely, it's a case of a shop guy that doesn't know what he has. It is most likely a standard import refurbed 91/30. Not everyone knows the difference between an M91, and a M91/30. Go to the link 9mmxdm suggested, there's a TON of info there, so you can see what it is you're looking at. There is a chance it's an ex-sniper. If it's an M91, it never was any type of sniper rifle with optics. M91/30, possible it's an ex-sniper. Most importantly to identify an ex-sniper rifle, look on the left side of the receiver wall. If you see welded in holes from the outside, and look on the inside to see the holes as well. If it's an Izhevsk, it should have a struck out serial number left side above the stock line on the barrel shank. Tula ex-snipers will have the welded holes, but have a СП or СН stamped usually above the star, the top tip of the star between the Russian letters on the top of the barrel shank. If it is indeed an M91, then details are needed. Arsenal and date information required.
  20. TNPIRATE

I went to the site that 9mmxdm posted. Man theres a lot of stuff on the Mossin. What I might do is take paper and pencil to the pawn shop and take rubbings off of it. Then come back and compair to what that site shows and says. That way I won't be relying on my poor old memory.

I did go on gunbroker.com and check out what they had. Good God that was a little confusing. I am looking at a Mossin that is 169.00 out the door here in Lower Middle Tennessee. I know that Big 5 Sporting Goods in Calif sells them for 119.00 plus tax and background. Gunbroker anywhere from 95.00 plus the shipping, the FFL cost, and the background check. And the gunbroker prices go all the way up to 600.00 plus all the goodies, ie: the FFL transfer, shipping cost, background check.

I do know the pawn shop has 10 in stock. What is cool these Southern boys down here don't want a Russian rifle. So that gives me time to look at them and take my time. He may let me go in the back room and take a look at the others. This pawn shop also has the Norinco SKS but he wants to much from what I have seen. He has 20 of those in stock and I think he has only sold one. Still falls under these Southern boys don't want commie rifles.