Mosin Nagant rebored to .30-06

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by LeftHandShooter, Jun 14, 2009.

1. LeftHandShooter

LeftHandShooter G&G Enthusiast

2. eagle4g63

eagle4g63 G&G Newbie

You must really like recoil!! wouldn't the 30-06 kick even harder?
  3. MosinMan

MosinMan G&G Enthusiast

I don't buy it....for a number of reasons.

First: The mosin nagant uses a rimmed cartridge. The rim on the rifle is huge, and the 30-06 is a rimless cartridge and the head is slightly small. I just put a 30-06 up to the bolt face of one of the bolts on my mosins and it there was nothing for the extractor to grab onto. Unless he had a new lug made... no way.

Second: Cartridge OAL. The mosin is significantly shorter than the 30-06 and I guess can be classified as a short action. The 30-06 BARELY fits into the mag of the mosin. I don't see how loading and unloading is easy. The mag would probably have to be re-designed as well.

As said... I dont believe it for one minute but I could be wrong and have been before.
  4. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

The thing that bothers me from what eagle4g63 and tmanbuckhunter both said, is the magazine issue. The seller posted no photos. I don't see any way for this to work. It might be marginally more probable if he had said 7.62 NATO as the conversion caliber, but even then the extractor would have to be completely redesigned and I'd still question if it would work.

This is one rifle I definitely would not buy without a FTF meeting and a trip to the range to test it out. This simply sounds wrong.
  5. PSLMAN

PSLMAN G&G Enthusiast

Let's see if I have this straight, Mosin converted to longer cartridge with much smaller rim. Said conversion would entail extensively modifying magazine, bolt face, and extractor.

Seller would have sunk thousands of dollars to have gunsmith do conversion or hundreds of dollars to do conversion himself if done at least half way properly, yet is asking $165.00 for completed rifle with "custom stock" and failed to post pics.

What's wrong with this picture?

Sorry I think I'll pass, I have Mosinitis not Alzheimers!
  6. LeftHandShooter

LeftHandShooter G&G Enthusiast

Just for the record, this is NOT my gun. I just found the gun and thought "Is this possible?"

I want to ask the guy how he did it, but not wanting to give him my e-mail address will pass. Maybe is an out-of-state'er asked...?
  7. Iron_Colonel

Iron_Colonel G&G Newbie

lol, yea this is pretty weird. The first thing I thought is it would be selling for more than $165 to have all of the appropriate work done to. And depending on how "custom" the stock is too... No pics is messed up too. I thought I had read somewhere that there were very few that were fitted for the .30-06 cartridge, but also read they were not safe to shoot. Would have to see pics to see what kind of work was done to it.
  8. sawnoffshotgun

sawnoffshotgun Suspended

Athol Idaho but mainly in the detention room
    They have had mosin nagants rechambered to 30 06 but from what I heard they are unsafe to use.
  9. PSLMAN

PSLMAN G&G Enthusiast

Howdy, my name's Bubba and I does lots of custom gun work.
  10. troy2000

troy2000 Suspended

Conversion to .30-06 was common 'back in the day,' when 7.62x54R wasn't readily available in this country. Bannerman did thousands of them, and so did gun smiths across the country.

I see on the internet repeatedly that they have a reputation for being unsafe and shouldn't be fired, but I've never heard any mention of one actually failing; it seems to be one of those things that's being repeated on blind faith.

http://mosinnagant.net/global mosin nagants/bannerman.asp
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  11. Iron_Colonel

Iron_Colonel G&G Newbie

A very interesting post there. I wasn't aware there was such a market back then. But even now, I have never seen one in person.
  12. troy2000

troy2000 Suspended

First thing I did when I got my Westinghouse from gunbroker.com was to look it over thoroughly and make sure it hadn't been converted, since it had a bubba'd stock and no Russian markings.
  13. Mike82

Mike82 G&G Newbie

well, if it had pics and showed how it'd work, i WOULD get it........but after reading the safety issues from you guys, i dont want another incident....remember the "banana peeled" shultz&larson?
  14. Dennis

Dennis G&G Enthusiast

I believe there was a replacement bolthead assembly and a replacement barrel and it was a single shot. I havent seen one in person, there for I am only going on what has been reported to me by others (for what it is worth).
    The chamber pressure for the mosin is slightly less than the 3006, yet some loadings are higher velocity... possible barrel length would affect that.
  15. Archetype_wyo

Archetype_wyo G&G Enthusiast

The cartridge case presents a pronounced tapering to facilitate case extraction. In addition to being one of the first military rounds to use smokeless powder, the 7.62x54mmR was ahead of its time for another aspect, despite being a rimmed cartridge. The case is significantly wide in relation to its length and it features a rather sharp shoulder angle compared to other contemporary rounds. This characteristic and the case tapering allow for efficient and very rapid powder combustion, a design concept reintroduced again with the Short Magnum rifle cartridges more than 100 years later.

got that from 7.62x54mmR - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The MN Cartridge was essentially the first magnum cartridge and I believe the pressures of the x54r are similar to that of the x63mm or .30-06 cartridge.
  16. bigkat91

bigkat91 G&G Newbie

:lmao:
  17. troy2000

troy2000 Suspended

The basic [Bannerman] Mosin conversions were offered two ways. One was a sporter version with cut down stock and bent bolt. The other was a military version which, consisted of a full stock and straight bolt. Both versions had the barrels cut back and rechambered for the 30-06 round. The extractor was modified with the bolt head being blackened. It should be noted, that this is one of the ways of telling a Bannerman conversion, for on the sporter version many Mosins were modified by gunsmiths from the 20-60's and are not true Bannermans. One must be careful on these and these versions tend to get lumped in as Bannerman conversions. To compensate for the 30-06 round, the magazine well was spread out. Usually by flattening the reinforcement rib. These were usually stamped Cal 30 06 in a very small font. Bolts retained their original number and usually, because of the cut back of the barrel, the original serial number was obliterated. Rear sights on the military model was original with no special attention being paid to regraduation. Although, the military model was probably set up for export, no known contracts were done. It was interesting that one lot of 200 military models were sold to the American Fascist Party in the 1930's and as World War II broke out, the American Fascist Party offered the rifle to the CT State Police for the war effort.

Bannerman Rifles

If you go to the above page, they have a list of photo links, showing what the Bannerman conversions looked like. I personally doubt that Bannerman would have put out a dangerous conversion, especially since they were hoping to get military contracts from other countries. I'd be more worried about the miscellaneous conversions done by individual gunsmiths.
  18. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pGb_-Ekbho&feature=related]YouTube - Three 91/30 Russian Mosin-Nagant Sniper rifles[/ame]

a pinch of history

A Shooters Look
  19. troy2000

troy2000 Suspended

Nice little video. I read somewhere that the Russian snipers were trained to keep their piece shouldered, and work the bolt by reaching over the top with their left hand. I've never tried it, myself.
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  20. Dookiebutt

Dookiebutt G&G Newbie

I bought a VZ24 that might have been Banner-Bubbah'd. It has .30 CAL stamped on the receiver.