Mossberg .22 from 1938- free for me!!!

Discussion in 'Mossberg' started by pecka, Jul 18, 2007.

1. pecka

pecka G&G Newbie

My mother-in-law just gave me a bolt action, clip fed Mossberg from 1938. I was her dad's gun when he was a kid. I just looking for any info on the gun. I havent loaded the clip yet so I don't know how many it will hold. I figure this could be my quiet gun. My other .22 is a Rem. Nylon and its pretty loud. It has two tapped holes on the left side of the bolt, mid ways up. Are these for a scope mount?

The trigger gaurd says-
    Rec. in Canada 1938
    O.F. Mossberg
    U.S.A. Pat. DES. 110729

Barrel says-
    O.F. Mossberg & Sons inc
    New Haven, Conn U.S.A.
    440s(b) 22lr PAT

Any ideas what the 440s(b) means?

Attached Files:

2. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

You have a variant of the excellent Model 44, used as a training rifle by the US Army in WWII.

It's missing the rear sight elevator, but you'd do well to find an S100 or S130 aperture sight for it (often available on ebay!) - it would mount on the two rear-most holes in the left receiver. The two larger holes are indeed for a scope mount. A good scope mount for modern scopes can be bought from Havlin Sales.

Havlin Sales & Service - Mossberg Gun Parts

Click on their ".22 Rifle Parts" tab in the box on the left of the page - lots of good info and parts there!

The plastic trigger guards often warp with age, as yours has. Havlin's has a machined metal TG that fixes this.

These are superb twentytwo rifles, and are bringing a premium in pricing now. The Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) sold a bunch several years ago for around $70, then when they ran out, prices jumped to $300 IF you could find one! Their heavy stock and heavy barrel mark them as 'target' rifles, though they could use a better trigger.
    Congrats for a great find!
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  3. Triggerjerk

Triggerjerk G&G Newbie

Hi Pecka! If you want it to be a quiet gun try .22 LR subsonics in it. Remington and CCI make them. I try not to disturb the neighbors, and find that especially in a rifle they are quiet. At about 1050 fps with 38 or 40 gr. hollow points they are not much less effective than regular high velocity ammo.
  4. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

pecka congrats you have a nice 22 there ! You need to take your mother in Love out to dinner for giving you that Jewel.
  5. scvmike

scvmike G&G Newbie

Everyone should have a mother-in-law like. That's a beautiful gun. On my adventure to the flea market today, I picked up a 44US(b) for $200.00. It too,is a nice gun. Does have a screwed up magazine. Anyone know where I can find an exploded parts view and instuctions on how to disassemble that bloody bolt? Any help would be appreciated.
  6. AniDawehi

AniDawehi G&G Newbie

pecka ...the gun is a seven shot...six down (in the clip) and one up.

scvmike...here's a link that may help people in the future if they're looking to break that model down.

I actually have a 44 US(c) that I'm re-storing, although I will not re-blue or even cold-blue it as it's in pretty decent shape for the age.

My son kept saying, "Mom, you're gonna drive yourself crazy with that gun", but I have to say...I'm learning so much about its history that I'm totally enthralled by it now.

Some have told me that once I'm finished with it, I should spike it.....but in all honesty...I don't know if I can bring myself to do that :S.

The only change I see on mine is the rear sight aperture which is an S331 (according to what I've read up on it, it should have been an S130 to replace the S100). Otherwise, everything on my gun is original.

Anyway...here's some links to this particular guns' breakdown for all models A thru D.

Hope they help :)

Tammie.

Model 44 US(a) Disassembly/Assembly

Model 44 US(b) Disassembly/Assembly

Model 44 US (c) Disassembly/Assembly

Model 44 US (d) Disassembly/Assembly
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  7. .22guy

.22guy G&G Enthusiast

Cool, free guns are always good! :)
  8. 22and410avid

22and410avid G&G Newbie

I got this from my brother,I don't think he knew what he had,hell I didn't know what he had till I came to this forum.It's a WardsWesternField No.46 which is the same as a Mossberg Model 42.Try this place for parts....Bobs gun shop.com. Also your in the right place for advice,I could not find a clip for mine until I got to the forum,then it only took one thread and two weeks later I got my clip. Keep us informed.

Attached Files:

9. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Congrats.The only thing that might make you feel even better is to share in the art of giving and pass that rifle on to me.It might really make you feel good.(or foolish) ,,,sam.
  10. Robert Seccombe

Robert Seccombe G&G Newbie

sammy, instead of saying something nice or complimentary about the Mossberg, you have your hand out - makes you feel good ? I also have a Mossberg from just before WW2 and it has been an excellent rifle over all these years and I thought this was a Mossberg forum not a free rifle forum.
  11. .22guy

.22guy G&G Enthusiast

He was joking, we do that here a lot.
  12. big boomer

big boomer G&G Enthusiast

It most likely has no serial number like my old ones (they were not required till 1968)
  13. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

picture #3 is that some sort of dust cover over the bolt???
  14. sugarmama

sugarmama G&G Newbie

ammo and scope

hey, i have the same rifle and would like to find out just exactly what ammo was made for this rifle...mossberg .22 long rifle s-130 model i am also wanting to add a scope to this rifle any ideas for a good scope and the mounts????help please...thank you casey
  15. PAPA G

does anyone know what it is???????:feedback:
  16. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

A simple dust cover. My M42M has the same thing. Not a popular option, but not super rare.
  17. PAPA G

thank you BD, i knew i could count on a member of the Mountain Kings round table. i shall see you at the Table of Glory:35:
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  18. MosinRuger

MosinRuger G&G Enthusiast

Cool! i want to get something like that...ill have to look for something at the next gun show.. some how i missed the last one.