Mossberg 4 X 4 Bolt Action Rifle

Discussion in 'Mossberg' started by Dallas, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Dallas

Dallas PUKHA DAWG

Virginia, just outside of Washington D.C.
    Has anybody on the board handled/fired this rifle? Any comments? Thanks in advance.
  2. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

I've got the 2007 catalog and they Look really good, at another thread
    BattleRifle G3 said that the bolt configuration (if I remember correctly)
    looks like a mix of the push feed model 70 Winchester and the Savage.
    So thats a Plus and the Ballard rifleing is another Plus, they also give you great looking stocks on them.
    How do it shoot ? Go buy one and come back and let us know.

Yesterday night I was thinking about these rifles and I decided if they came out with a 358 caliber I would buy one, but they probly want. A.H
  3. Dallas

Dallas PUKHA DAWG

Thanks for the comments. What do they price out at?
  4. ArkansasHunter

Dallas for 2007 they've added more calibers, and I suppose you knew that the 4x4's came in short action and long action.
    Plus they've added some new stock design's.
    This catalog does'nt have any prices in it, but they do have suggested retail prices at the Mossberg web site.
    If you have a WalMart near by then go to there sporting goods dept.
    They can order long guns that you want find at WalMarts web site.
    Here's an example i can buy a mossberg ATS pump turkey shotgun with the camo that list for 389 dollars I can buy it at WalMart 283.96
    Another example Mossberg's new 930 semi auto 12ga. 2 3/4 3" syn.stocks matte finish List 501 dollars buy it WalMart for 394.46
    They have a special order book, ask the sales clerk to look and see if they have the rifle you might be interested in and most likely they will have it and it will be cheaper than you can find anywhere else.
    Good Luck and do go to Mossberg's web site. Mike
  5. Dallas

Dallas PUKHA DAWG

I'll have to do some driving. They pulled all of the firearms out of my local wallyworld, to close to DC.
  6. ArkansasHunter

That's crap aint it. I read in our news paper that wallyworld was going to stop selling firearms at some of there stores about 7 weeks ago too.

Hey let me know if you get one and I would search the net like gun blast.com to see what others are saying about these rifles. A.H
  7. myarmor

myarmor G&G Newbie

Here is more info from there site:
    O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. - Firearms, Shotguns, Rifles, Accessories, and Precision Machining
    I like the laminated versions, but that synthetic version is kinda futuristic no doubt....
    I personally believe it to be a version of the ATR, but chambered in some larger Mag calibers, and one model has open sights. Still all in all, besides the stock, it looks to be an ATR.....but with a slightly higher price.
    I am waiting for them to offer a 223 in one of these versions.
  8. ArkansasHunter

myarmour: I've noticed other manufatures are adding or useing
    futuristic looking stocks to there line up.
    It may take me a while to get use to them.
    I just looked in my catalog and your right no 223
    take care. Mike
  9. ArkansasHunter

Dallas I saw a synthetic and matte finish Mossberg ATR Rifle at WalMart here in El Dorado, AR. Wednesday late afternoon and It was under 300 dollars.
    No one was in Sporting Goods working for me ask to see it. I think it was 294 something I forgot.
    by the way it was next to a, same style Remington and I noticed the Mossberg was wider in the magazine area. It kooked good.
    MIKE
  10. Dallas

Dallas PUKHA DAWG

I may have to take a drive about 15-20 miles south and find a Wallyworld that has them. I've been to two local guns shops and neither carried Mossberg rifles and both tried to sell me other more expensive rifles.
  11. ArkansasHunter

Dallas I would call WalMart first and see if they have one and I would ask them to look in the special order book and see what they can order if you decide to get one.
    I was shocked at the guns they can get , that they don't have at there web site or in the there stores good luck and let us hear about it if you buy one...I enjoyed the repor. Mike
  12. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 Retired Moderator

I've been looking at them, and got to read a Mossberg magazine at Dick's Sporting Goods.

I'm starting to be impressed. I actually like those styles of stocks. One thing that may not catch the eye immediately is that the cheekpiece on the open sited stock is angled forward. That's exactly what you want for something that won't hurt you, since it would move slightly away from your cheek when firing.
    [​IMG]

I'd have to see what the sites look like, but these are starting to tempt me. They might even be fierce competition for a Remington I was tentatively planning to get within the year. The open sited 22" model in 338 Win Mag is calling my name, although it would be a long time before I could pick one of those up. The 24" model in 300 Win Mag may be more likely.

If you just wanted to get into shooting a new cartridge and wanted a simple, cheap, and accurate rifle for it, the Mossberg ATRs and 4x4s seem like the way to go.
  13. Magnumsrule

Magnumsrule G&G Newbie

I think the 4X4 is going to be a good gun. There is an article about it in the Shooting Times Mag. Says that is is a good gun, less recoil, and has quite good acurasy. Pluse it comes at a good price, only $481.
  14. Midas

Midas Chief Troll B' Gone Forum Contributor

I may have to pick one up in .338 Win mag, because a man can never have too many of those :D
  15. JoeLee

JoeLee Suspended

16. ArkansasHunter

I swear I go to the Mossberg web site aleast 3 times a day to look at a 535 ATS Turkey ShootGun...I'm in Love with it !!! lol I will have it by next years turkey season...
    I also look at the ATR rifles and they look excellent and I believe Mossberg has a winner line up of bolt-rifles. I'd buy one but first the turkey shotgun for me. By the way I guess I'm from the old school, but the one BRG3 has pictured has grown on me. My 2 Bits...A.H
    P.S I have there 2007 catolog and it is formatted like a magazine, it has some good reading in it, yall order one. A.H

I was curious so I went to the WalMart web site and all the Mossberg boltactions were the 100 ATR's depending on what stock and caliber the average cost was 282.82 to 315.17 dollars that ain't bad at all !
    I called the kid behind the counter at my locale wallyworld and he looked in his special order book and did'nt see the 4X4 models in it BUT he said they were sending a new special order book soon and they may have the 4X4's in it. He also said he could call the warehouse and see what they had there, because there's gun's that arnt in the special order catolog they can get too...Hummm anyway this is probly the lowest price's you can find or a starting point for haggling on the price else where. A.H
    Last edited: May 5, 2007
  17. Magnumsrule

Magnumsrule G&G Newbie

I think it has a new look to it. The guys at mossberg may have hit on a good design. I like the laminate version.
  18. outwest

outwest G&G Newbie

I just got a.338 win mag in Mossberg 4x4 in the new laminite stock and compared to my .375 H-H I will give it this. Fast and Deadly with plenty of power and long range and very accurate also I love both guns and will keep them around for as long as i can But any advice on some loads would be great right now i got a 160 grain ttsx load built for the .338 and a 200 grain hornady Boatail loaded for my 375 but am trying for a little my distance thanks
  19. claude

claude G&G Newbie

Mossberg 4X4

Hi,

I bought the Mossberg 4X4 in 300 Win Mag, after reading some very favorable reviews. I have to admit I was amazed by this rifle. It came with a 3X9 scope, and it seems like a nice scope. I took it off and mounted a NCStar 6x24. With Winchester 150 gr, PSP, I was getting 3/4 in. groups at 100 yards. I'm playing around with handloads to try to improve this, but for a rifle combo that cost me under $600, I really can't complain. I don't think I've ever owned a rifle that shot that well out of the box, no matter what the price. The action is smooth, the trigger crisp, with just a very small amount of creep. The recoil is a little stiff compared to some other 300's I've fired, even though the stock is synthetic with a hollow area. I would definitely recommend this combo.
  20. foxfire132002

foxfire132002 G&G Newbie

for a while now i have had the 4x4 chambered for 30-06 in the black synthetic stock and marincot finnish, i love it it has half the recoil of my winchester 70 30-06, and is less than half the weight. i have bout $425 invested in mine and it was a wise move on my part. the slide moves smooth as glass even when loading. i go walking on trails at my house all the time, and i wouldent dream of going out without it now. i usted to carry my marlin 30-30, but it nwas quickly replaced hope i was some help to ya
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2009