mossberg 535 questions

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by r0bb6ub9, Apr 18, 2010.

1. r0bb6ub9

r0bb6ub9 G&G Newbie

I recently purchased a 535 Waterfowl/turkey combo. I shot some turkey loads out of the turkey barrel and loved the gun. My questions are though that when i bought it at Dicks sporting goods, no one knew anything about the gun. I would like to know if the chokes and barrels that came with the gun can handle steel shot? Could i use the turkey barrel for anything other than the turkey choke? Will the other choke tubes fit in it? Can any of the barrel's/ chokes handle non-toxic's such as hevi shot or bismuth? What is the biggest shot that can go through each choke? Lead and steel. Thanks for the help and sorry if its really newb or has been posted already, its my first post/time on the forum.
  2. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

Go to Mossbergs website and find out because the 535 is still realatively new. At there "store" at there website Mossberg lists chokes for the 535. Maybe but maybe not the model 500 chokes will work and you can find them local.

I bought the model 930 semi-auto turkey shotgun that only came with one turkey choke.
    I went to looking at Mossberg's site and found the model 500 chokes would work perfectly so I bought 3 other chokes for my gun.

But most of all you can check to see which chokes will accept different metals shot through them so thats my reccomendation.

Keep checking your post because theres some members here that have 535's.

Best of Luck...AH
  3. thrillbilly

thrillbilly G&G Evangelist

I use 500 chokes in mine. You need steel chokes for steel shot, I know they make Heavy-Shot chokes as well....not sure if you need specific chokes for bismuth. As far as I know any SHOT will go through any choke size, I do use Mod. or larger for slugs and 00Buckshot (I prefer Imp. Cylinder).

All 500 furniture will fit the 535, but the 500 barrels will not.
  4. dog party

dog party G&G Newbie

I have the 535 Turkey/Waterfowl combo set too. GREAT gun! I can't believe how inexpensive it was!

As far as the chokes, the ones you got with the gun are Accu-Choke™ tubes. According to Mossberg, they are designed for "lead, steel and other non-toxic loads."

The shorter 22" barrel is the Turkey barrel. It's threaded to accept all the different chokes that came with the set. I can't recall if the 28" Waterfowl barrel is threaded to take the chokes or not...I'll have to check that when I get home. If the end of the barrel is threaded, you can put the choke tube in it.

Does your Turkey Barrel have a cantilevered scope mount on it? Mine does, but the ones listed on Mossberg's website now show a turkey barrel without the cantilevered scope mount.
  5. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

No matter what any Co tells you steel will wear any kind of choke.If they made the choke hard enough that steel shot wouldn't wear them they would split under pressure because they must be able to expand just a little,the same as the barrel.They do make calipers to meisure the wear after,say a 1000 rds and replacement chokes are really very low priced even if you buy Bryleys. ,,,http://www.colonialarms.com/pdf-files/page7.pdf ,,,You also find "turkey" chokes in .665".A standard cylinder bore 12ga is .729" and backbore is .740",supposed to get better pattern because it distorts less shot. ,,, sam.
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  6. SilverRun

SilverRun G&G Newbie

I think most of the chokes suitable for steel say that on the choke. I certainly wouldn't shoot steel through the turkey choke - not that you were - just thought I would mention it. Your barrels should be fine for any shot.