Mossberg 817, .17 HMR

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by JGrady, Feb 20, 2008.

1. JGrady

JGrady G&G Newbie

Hey guys,

I am deciding on what type of .17 HMR to buy, and I found the 817 from Mossberg and wanted to know if anyone has any experience with this rifle.

I have read the ballistic charts on the .17 HMR, .17 Rem, & the .17 Rem Fireball and understand that these rounds will perform differently.

I have watched you tube videos on the .17 HMR and have seen what this firearm is capable of on different sized varmints and predators. It is amazing what you can find on the internet, sometimes it is not always a good thing.

My questions are as follows:

Is this a quality firearm?

Is a bull barrel better than a standard barrel?

Would the BSA Sweet 17 scope be a good purchase?

Can I kill coyotes with this gun? If so, what is the maximum effective range for a clean, humane, ethical shot? (I have shot deer with a .50 cal muzzle loader and/or a 30.06 in the lungs and watch them run off.)

Have you or someone you know owned or currently own this rifle?

Would you or your associate recommend it to a friend?

Have you found any mechanical fault with this rifle? (Some guns are apt to issues)

Can you recommend a suitable substitute in the same price range? (I have included some specific info on the rifle as well as some links with more info)

Any useful information you can provide would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

SSG J. Grady,
    US Army
    Iraq

Mossberg Model 817 Bolt Action Rifle 37050, 17 HMR, 21", Black Synthetic Stock, Blue Finish $137.92 (NEW)

O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. - Firearms, Shotguns, Rifles, Accessories, and Precision Machining

O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. - Firearms, Shotguns, Rifles, Accessories, and Precision Machining

Mossberg Model 817 Bolt Action Rifle 37050, 17 HMR, 21", Black Synthetic Stock, Blue Finish:usa::feedback:
  2. Alleydude

Alleydude G&G Newbie

I have been having a little trouble with my 22LR's by Mossberg (Plinksters) and I am betting that the .17's would have similar mechanics. I think if I had to do it over again I would go with Marlins.
  3. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Mossberg

JGrady: Sir; I don't know anything about the Mossberg. BUT sir; try these folks at 'Rimfirecentral" Sir; they are eat up with Rim fires.
    Stay around here; or you'll miss out on some fine and I mean fine folks.:09:

Follow up when you can.
  4. 1shotkill

1shotkill G&G Newbie

Marlin

If u wanted a good pinkler you would be better served by a savage or even a marlin(i have both and are both .17hmr)... that being said the mossenberge's do look nice with that Barret style mussle ...the savages are very solid guns and i would take one of them over a marlin but only because of 2 points the marlin triggers are crud (but you can get better ones for them for around 80-90 dollars) and the mags will wear out...i would by a savage over a mossenberge any day and thier in about the same price range
  5. cremley

cremley G&G Newbie

Colorado, with all the pot smoking libtards -_-
    Personally, I would not use a .17HMR to kill a coyote unless I was starving in the desert and it was all I had to eat. I own a savage .17HMR and it is pretty powerful and is accurate to 200yds on a very calm day but I wouldn't trust that little bullet to kill a coyote. Most people on here will recommend against using it for coyotes as well. I have not tried varmint hunting with it but from what I have seen, there isn't much varmint left after it is hit with a .17HMR. So, it might be able to take down a coyote humanly, but I personally won't go smaller than a .223 on one. The round is pretty darn accurate and fun to shoot. However, anything over a 15mph wind is going to throw the bullet off by a bit. O, just to clarify, I think the .17rem is a centerfire cartridge and i think people actually do use this one on coyotes. The .17HMR is a rimfire and is pretty much non-reloadable.

I have the bull barrel on my savage. I find that it is a little heavy but for target shooting, it helps in the accuracy department.

As far as the mossberg goes, I own a model 500 pump shotgun and it is very well built. I can't speak for their rimfires but I am very happy with their shotguns.

I have heard that BSA optics are not very good optics but I have never used one. I have a cheap tasco 6-24x40 on mine and it does well holding zero on the .17HMR. I tried the scope on my .308 Tikka and it didn't do so well. I am getting another scope for that one later. The magnification of the tasco I have is perfect and it allows me to see the tiny holes on paper at 100yds. I would suggest going with the clearest optics you can find and still in a good price range.

I would suggest going to a gun store that has the mossberg in stock and see if you can handle it. See how it feels and try working the action and the mag release. See if they have other models available as well. There is also the Winchester wildcat but I found it to be a little small for my size and I didn't do much more research on it. Marlins have a pretty good reputation and a lot of people on here like them. my friend owns a marlin .22 semi auto and it used to jam on us quite a bit. However, it was extremely dirty so I cleaned it up really good and we havn't had a problem since. I just like guns that function without having to be cleaned. I clean mine anyways.

The one I would most recommend for a .17HMR is the savage. I am a little biased because I own one but I have not been disappointed. I don't have the accutrigger, which is a very nice feature by the way, but I havn't had any problems with mine. The one little glitch it has though is that the rounds will jam in the mag if the mag is put in with the bolt closed. As long as the bolt is open, the rounds feed flawlessly. I shot a dime sized group at 50yds about a year ago when I first got it but I have improved since then, I just need to find more time to get to the range. :)

Anyway, I hope I helped a little and I hope you can find what you are looking for. Thank you for your service to our country.

Chris
  6. gawhunter93

gawhunter93 G&G Newbie

Hi JGrady I wanted to let you know I have a savage bvss 17hmr with a sweet 17 scope and love it. 2 weeks ago I shot a .19 inch 5 shot group not counting the flyer @ 100 yrds and this was with the cci ammo. as far as the sweet 17 scope the clarity isn't real good but it does its job and the bullet compensator dial works great too. last fall we went to north dakota pheasant huning and brought my 17 so one day it was so windy some older family members didn't want to hunt and let me shoot their birds so I set up about 100-150 yrds from a patch of trees and waited for pheasants and once they popped their head out I shot them in the head with my 17. the birds never knew where it was coming from so they kept looking around. when I shot my 6 pheasant ranging from 100-160 yards away they were alot hit in the head/neck area. so what im saying is I would just spend a few extra bucks and opt for the savage. ask anyone that has a savage and theyll tell you what there capable of.

oh and if you do get the sweet 17 scope make sure you check it over especially the crosshairs, mine were very crooked but gander mtn let me trade it for a different sweet 17.

hope that helped
  7. Dryfli

Dryfli G&G Newbie

I also have a savage .17 hmr and love it. the accutrigger is great and I also like the sweet 17 scope I have on I dont think for the money you could do any better on a combo
  8. Arizona Redneck

Arizona Redneck G&G Newbie

Mossberg 817

I own a model 817 and am pleased with its performance. I find that it likes Winchester ammo and a fouled barrel. I always clean it after hunting but take it to the range a couple of days before and run about 15 or 20 shots thru the barrel. I have no idea why it likes it that way but it does. And believe me, I keep all my guns cleaned and oiled but this one is different.
  9. upshifter

upshifter G&G Newbie

My dealer didn't sell Mossberg rifles, so I had him order one for me. When I first looked at my 817, I thought that it was flimsy because of the small bolt handle. Many rifles use the bolt handle as a locking lug to keep the bolt from coming back in your face. Well, the 817 uses 2 locking lugs on the bolt, separate from the bolt handle, and that makes it safe, and tough. Very impressive for a rim fire. The trigger is a delight, crisp and positive. Better than anything I've seen on any standard rim fire rifle. I paid $161.50 for mine, the least expensive black one; and I'm well satisfied with it. I have lots of rifles, and could have bought anything I wanted, but I chose the Mossberg.

It weighs about 5.5 lbs, and with my 3 x9x40 Bushnell Trophy scope, it brings it up to 6 lbs. (The scope cost nearly as much as the rifle.) The gun comes without any sights, but already has the Weaver mounts installed for the scope, a piece of cake. It looks smooth and clean with the scope. The barrel is full floating. The small bolt handle looks a little strange, but it works fine and makes the gun lighter.

I thought that the 817 was made in America; it's not. It's made in Brazil, and the gun says "Mossberg International", on it. That's probably why it sells for less money than the others.

The 817 comes in several configurations, even with a bull barrel, if that's what you want. (I have a bull barrel .17 New England, but it's only a single shot, and it's heavy.) The bull barrel should give improved accuracy, but the regular barrel is best for me. I'm not going to punch paper with it all the time; I'm going to be plinking and shooting varmints; and for that reason I like it light.
  10. srt 10 jimbo

srt 10 jimbo G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Have the Savage 93 R17 With the Bull:biggthumpup: Barrel. Great little Gun.
  11. dbm123

dbm123 G&G Newbie

I am a Mossberg rifle fan (as my posts show), but not of the rimfire rifles that they are importing... get a Savage 93R17 or a Marlin 917. I own a 93R17 in 17HMR and a Marlin 917 in 17 Mach 2. They are both "keepers" and EXTREMELY accurate.
  12. dbm123

dbm123 G&G Newbie

Follow-up: You asked about coyotes... If I had a approximately 100-125 yrd shot with a 17HMR and little or no wind, then I would be very confident in shooting a coyote because I could easily headshot him. That being said, if someone said to me "Hey, let's go coyote hunting next month!" ... I wouldn't be reaching for my 17HMR. I would pull out my Savage 11 FCNS in .204 Ruger. You can get many differences in opinion on what a good coyote cartridge is, so I am not trying to say that .204 Ruger is the "best" but it is the "best" that I own because I would feel comfortable using it in any weather and at any practical range...
    Last edited: May 9, 2010
  13. fherman

fherman G&G Newbie

I am deciding on what type of .17 HMR to buy, and I found the 817 from Mossberg and wanted to know if anyone has any experience with this rifle.
    I own a 817 for approx. 2 weeks with about 300 rounds down range.There has already been a failure in the rear bolt stop and discharge with the bolt not fully down. this happened june 13 2010. I will be talking to my dealer tomorrow as this incident happened when my 10 year old son was shooting at the time. It was him that was sprayed with the backflash!!! I also own a C Z 17 HMR with 10,000 rounds down range, no problem. the C-Z is bulletproof, just look at the bulb design. It is way overbuilt, and there is no need for the larger, heavier barrel models if you are just plinking gophers or if you are only shooting 200 rounds per-sitting. Heat will not affect the accuracy to any degree. Beware of Mossburg!!! The bolt and locking mechanism is not heavy enough!!!
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  14. Para Cassatt

Para Cassatt G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

I do not have a 17 but believe you could have a better coyote gun. I shoot a 22 Hornet with the 35gr. V-Max bullet @ 3100 fps. It's a great frangible bullet to use for backyard dispatches but I like to limit it to Red Fox and smaller animals. With larger bullets I feel it easily handles up to our smaller southern coyotes easily to 150 yrds.
    So I would stay in the red fox to feral cat range for the 17 even with the various available bullets offered in it.

Didn't notice the dates on the posts
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  15. PAJOE

PAJOE G&G Newbie

I have had two 17 HMRS, a Savage and a Marlin. the Marlin is a tack driver at 100yds it consistently shoots .625 five shot groups. As far as the coyote thing goes, U-Tube has several videos of guys shooting propane gas bottles at 100 yds with the 17HMR, they are made of steel and if the round punches that stuff, I think a coyote might be in serious trouble. Yes there are bigger and better calibers but I do not think you would be drastically under gunned having a go at a coyote with the hummer.
  16. MARK K

MARK K G&G Newbie

mossberg 817

My neighnor has this gun & loves it. Took it to wyoming to snipe a few prairie dogs. He shot 1 between the eyes and it filleted its skull. Laid both eyeballs on the ground. Not sure about his scope but i think it would work on coyotes skull same way. He swears by it. 300 yd straight line is pretty sweet also