Mossberg 9200 Problem

Discussion in 'Mossberg' started by cruizer, Nov 12, 2007.

1. cruizer

cruizer G&G Newbie

I have a problem with my 9200 jamming. It seems there is a guide pin in the barrel that the bolt rides on. It looks like the pin is shaved down and the bolt is jumping on top of the pin. I was told by a local dealer that Mossberg would probably fix it for free because of the lifetime warranty on their guns. I was wondering if anyone has had any dealing with trying to get warranty work from Mossberg and if they fixed the problem.
  2. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

I've never had a problem with Mossberg honoring the Warranty. They will get it fixed and back to you as fast as they can, but remember, there may be others ahead of you so Don't expect a week turnaround time.
    Letting them fix it keeps the warranty active !
    Rich
  3. cruizer

cruizer G&G Newbie

What if I've had it apart to replace an extractor and firing pin, oh and cleaning? I guess I'm asking if they're like an electronics company, "Void if seal is broken" kind of deal.
  4. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

They should fix it without question !
    Rich
  5. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

Cruizer, don't worry about the gun being "messed with", these were made made to be taken down for routine cleaning and maintenance and most even come with instructions on how to field strip them.
  6. cruizer

cruizer G&G Newbie

I got the gun in pieces, literally. Ordered the parts I needed and put it back together. Realized at some point, before I took ownership, that the action bar had been warped. The two rails on the bar were pinched together enough that it was biting down on the receiver. Tapped the rails on the bar apart little my little until I could get the action to slide properly. Then was disapointed when the gun jammed. After looking at the gun while it was jammed I realized the bolt was over the guide pin and tore it back down. That when I noticed it was damaging the top of the receiver when the bolt smacked into it and decided I like my face the way it is and put the gun away until I can get it fixed. Thanks for all the info though guys. I will probably send it away after Christmas since I'm not putting money into my bow.
  7. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

I bought one of the Mossberg 930 semi-auto turkey shotguns and it didn't have a choke wrench in the box so I called them and politely told them and they mailed me one right away.
    The feller I talked too was very friendly and said they were sorry for the over site.
    You would have thought he was from the south !...LOL...A.H Nice guy !
  8. GlennF

GlennF G&G Regular

Has anyone had this problem with a 9200? I returned to my car and unloaded the gun. I released the bolt and it closed. I took off the safety and fired the empty gun. I do not like to leave guns with springs compressed. This was a used gun I just bought and it cycled well with all kinds of light / heavy loads.

When I went hunting the other day, I could not pull the bolt back open with the release button pushed in. I fortunately had my Browning O/U in the car so I was able to continue the hunt. I took the gun to the local Gander Mountain gunsmith today.

It seemed as if the lower part of the bolt was jammed and the upper part would move a little back and forth but not the lower part. Anyone else have this problem?
  9. kdeerman

kdeerman G&G Newbie

Haven't had those problems, but once while turkey hunting, my 9200 did not chamber the 2nd shot after firing the first one, all rounds were still in magazine tube, but I manually racked one in quickly.
    Speaking of Mossberg warranty-When I bought the gun(Special Hunter-Parkerized Green composite stock and forend) the barrel had been cut to 18-1/2", ported and the Remington choke threads added to the barrel.(I guess the gunsmith only had the ability to thread the barrel for remington chokes.)

Does anyone know if Mossberg would still warranty this gun?
  10. PistolCity

PistolCity G&G Newbie

My grandfather had 2 9200 both constantly jammed. My personal suggestion and this is NOT a knock on the company is to fix it, then sell or trade it off. According to my grandfather these guns constantly jammed. He knew others who had them and same problems. Except 1, a 3rd cousin of mine has one he got NIB and shoots nothing but heavy loads out of it and he claims its only jammed once. Who knows he is a little windy.

JMO
    J.
  11. panzram

panzram G&G Newbie

My 9200 fell apart, first day hunting it spat out both ejector and cocking lever (never to be found again), it seemed that the holding system in the bolt itself was defective. I immediately replaced them but then the block on top of the slides broke free, leaving me no other choice than cold sand welding it together, replacing the ejector with Remington 1187 ejector and make an (vertical spring held) cocking lever and it has worked smooth ever since. However, the gun feels really good to shoot and contributes a lot to my menu.