Mossberg Chuckster 640KD .22 mag

Discussion in '.22/rimfire' started by RimfireSpaz, Jan 29, 2009.

1. RimfireSpaz

RimfireSpaz G&G Newbie

Hey Guys, I did some trading around yesterday, and got a Mossberg Chuckster 640KD, .22 magnum. Its pretty dandy looking little rifle, and has a walnut stock. Anyone own one, or shot one of em?[​IMG]ver
  2. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I have the "Revelation" marked equivalent rifle. I haven't found the 'magic bullet' that it really likes yet - it doesn't shoot nearly as tight as my Marlin 25MN in the same caliber.
    But the Mossy has a certain charm. Mounting a scope can be a bit tricky, as the scope grooves are very far forward in relation to the receiver. I found a scope with the adjuster block in a positon allowing me to shift the scope further back than many will allow. Helps give me the proper eye-relief.
    I'm at work now, and will try to get a pic up this weekend.
  3. RimfireSpaz

RimfireSpaz G&G Newbie

Thanks Big Dog...I put an older Bushnell Banner scope on mine, and the adjuster block was far forward, letting me put it on with just enough eye releif. I sighted it in, and all of my groups have been under an inch at 100yrds...Some of them in the half inch category...Good enough shooter for me. Im shooting CCI standard velocity's. Look forward to seeing your rifle!!!
  4. skiking

skiking G&G Newbie

That is a good looking gun, can't wait to shoot it.
  5. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

So what did you end up trading to get that? And did or do you feel you came out ahead or behind on the trade for it? Just curious is all.

I've never done any bartering or trading for a firearm, ever. Not saying I won't or never will. Just pointing out to date I haven't. lol
  6. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

2 words...MARLIN MICROGROOVING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best .22lr/WMR barrels EVER!!!
  7. RimfireSpaz

RimfireSpaz G&G Newbie

Skiking, Shoot it you will indeed! And I traded an old break action 30-30 for it...Im certain I came out on top, or else I would have in no way traded....I trade guns a lot...and have never gotten the bad end of the bargain...Never ever trade unless you come out on top, thats my rule!
  8. Big Dog

My 640KD is the bottom of the Mossbergs in this pic.

[​IMG]

So far, I have tried CCI Maximags - HP, Solid and Speer TNT, Winchester SP and Federal - none have done as well as I'd hoped.
  9. pangero859

pangero859 G&G Newbie

I have one and it is by far the best shooting 22 mag I have ever shot. You will enoy that old rifle a bunch and if by chance you dont, you could always send it this way. Mine loves cci maxi mags hp ammo.
  10. KC IN TC

KC IN TC G&G Newbie

I have read that earlier .22 mags had a "accuracy issue". If the clouds have parted correctly I think it had to do with barrel twist. This is some that has been addressed by manufacturers in recent firearms.
  11. RimfireSpaz

RimfireSpaz G&G Newbie

I put an older bushnell banner scope on it, and sighted it in with CCI maxi-mags..30grn bullet moving at 2200 fps, and did a 3 shot group at 75yds with it the other day. It was about 1/2in group...pretty tight for an older gun, I must say...Pretty tight for any gun.
  12. KC IN TC

KC IN TC G&G Newbie

Sounds like a shooter! Now go forth and kill something!!!!!!!!!!!!
  13. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire G&G Newbie

I bought one about 10 years ago just to try out. At the time, I had no real use for it and eventually traded it off. It shot okay. Now I want a 22 mag rifle or a 5mm rimfire. I'm in a holding pattern until I see if any 5mm's are introduced. Getting a bit tired of waiting.
  14. RimfireSpaz

RimfireSpaz G&G Newbie

5mm eh? Must be sorta hard to get ammo for one of those. Ive shot a few yotes with the Mossberg.
  15. txfeller

txfeller G&G Newbie

Hey Big Dog, have you tried the winchester 45 grain dynapoints? I picked up a couple of boxes to plink with because they were cheap and it just amazed me how much my 25mn liked them. Been using them ever since. Maybe that old Revelation will like those too.
  16. mickey d

mickey d G&G Newbie

mossberg 640kd chuckster

I have one and it shoots very good.Put a konus straight 4 power scope on it and shoot Remington 33 gr. accutip at 50 yards drive tacks.My daughter is a squirrel killing machine with it.I like the little gun.
  17. Big Dog

The one unfortunate thing on the later Mossberg .22 rifles - the .22LR 320/340 series and the .22MAG 620/640 series, is the simpler and less smooth trigger, compared to the earlier designs. If the 640KD had the trigger of my M42M I'd be a happy camper. Sadly, at the time Mossberg was trying to reduce costs.
    My Model 320bb singleshot is very accurate, but still has the lousy later-style trigger.
  18. Danny Creasy

Danny Creasy G&G Regular

19. mouser868

mouser868 G&G Enthusiast

Use to have one back when I was a kid. It was stolen when Grandma's house was broken into. Was a real shooter, at 25 yards it would shoot one hole groups that needed to have .224 subtracted from the outside to outside dimensions of the hole o measure groups, at 100 yards it was not uncommon to shoot 3\4 inch groups with 1 1\4 inches being the norm.
  20. hemingway89

hemingway89 G&G Enthusiast

what is the second form the top?