most accurate .22

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by deathmonkey, Oct 9, 2008.

1. deathmonkey

deathmonkey G&G Newbie

i know i'm gonna start a big argument over this one but what do you guys think is the most accurate .22 semiauto rifle (out of the box)

:hitwithrock:
  2. andrew cochran

andrew cochran G&G Newbie

I don't think there is a huge differece. Feed it some good ammo and You'll do fine with most avaible ones.
  3. big boomer

big boomer G&G Enthusiast

Tc. has a good one
  4. K75RT

K75RT G&G Enthusiast

As it is a semi auto, I'd have to say the Marlin Model 60, the RUGER 10/22 and the Remington 597, the order of the arms depends on the shooter and the ammo....
  5. squirrelblaster

squirrelblaster G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

if you want realy accuarcy get a bolt action 22 not a semi.
  6. dodge310

dodge310 G&G Newbie

For open sites I prefer the single shot Lever Action rifles. Can't beat my old Ethica. Much more accurate than my sons old Bolt Action.

To answer your question though. All the different kinds I've shot, they all seem to be about the same. You just have to put a few round through to get it sighted in.
  7. Don357

Don357 G&G Regular

8. jaeger

jaeger G&G Regular

I would have to say 10/22. I have a rem 597, marlin 60 and a 10/22 and all of them shoot very well I would have to say the 10/22 will group a little tighter.
  9. Clem321

Clem321 G&G Newbie

What is likely to be an accurate .22 semiauto is the Ruger 10/22 Target. Other accurate semis probably include the Thompson Center auto. The Marlins tend to have a good reputation as well.
  10. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Armscor of the Philipines makes some very good shooting rifles. My Ruger 10-22 and Marlin 60 are good - the Armscor 20C carbine beats them. It's my best shooting semi-auto .22LR rifle. I have an old Marlin Model 88 and Springfield 87A, both of which put my purty new 10-22 to shame.

Sometimes, look further afield than The Big Two..... :)
  11. scoutman

scoutman G&G Newbie

how do you go about getting one of them armscor rifles
  12. Aarant

Aarant G&G Newbie

I have to agree a lever for me is more accurate than a semi. I once had in my possition a marlin model 56. best rifle I have ever shot. I just wish that I owned it instead of it being a loner. I have been looking for one ever since.
  13. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Scoutman, I found it at my local gunshow. It resembles a Mossberg 152 in a 10-22 carbine-style stock. Much better stock finish than Ruger uses too.

Should be able to find them at Gunbroker or AuctionArms.
  14. gunsavvy

gunsavvy G&G Newbie

i can get 2.5" groups at 350 with my Marlin 39a lever action. i know i know, you guys dont believe me, but i gots the targets to prove it, and the prairie dogs know it all too well. just get a good heavy barreled gun with a longer barrel and a good trigger. the gun will do the rest if you feed it the right ammo.
  15. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

a secret lab on the shores of lake titicaca
  16. scoutman

scoutman G&G Newbie

is gun broker a decent web site to get guns from can i trust what i get
  17. billy

research the seller.
    when i find something i want online i always look to see if the seller is a business or not(thats all i buy from)
    then i look to see how long they have been in business.
    THEN i check the reviews.

thats how i do it.
  18. Pyro01

Pyro01 G&G Newbie

I'm gonna throw my $.02 in, I'm liking my Savage Model 64 .22. It came with a Simmon 4x15, and it isn't the best scope in the world, but I can shoot nice tight groups and the bullet seems to go wherever I have that scope when I squeeze the trigger. I can squeeze off 5 rounds, and get all of the bullets in a 2" diameter target at 50 yards. I'm using the Remington HP Bulk Ammo, the Golden Box. If I had a better scope on it, I could probably do a lot better. A few weeks ago when I was shooting a turkey paper target, I was able to get rounds in that turkeys brain every time I aimed at it. I hope to someday pick up a better scope for it, I tried shooting with the iron sights, and I still haven't quite gotten them figured out adjusting the rear sight.
  19. billy

how much money do you have?
    thats the question.
  20. Jimbo Indy

Jimbo Indy G&G Newbie

For accuracy at a reasonable price, recommend the CZ 452/453 series. Everyone who tries my 453 Varmint falls in love with it. The set trigger is just the ticket for small groups, especially off the bench. Try lots of dirrerent ammo. Every gun has one or two it likes best. Generally, the slower match ammo groups tighter than the high velocity stuff but not always. Even with Federal bulk stuff, the 453 is good to go for shooting bullet jackets in the sand berm @ 50 yards. Chasing an old shotgun hull around is fun too.
    As for Billy's recommendation of Cooper, you bet if you have the $. My friend has one. Uses the little pasters that come with Shoot'n See targets. Sticks about a dozen of them on a sheet of paper and spends the afternoon shooting out the little circles one at a time. @ 50-60 yards. His Cooper and my CZ are big rivels. I think his is more accurate but at several times the price. Anything more accurate would require going to a full on match rifle.