Most accurate Bolt Action under $1000?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Domonlord, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Domonlord

Domonlord G&G Newbie

Hello all,
    I just stumbled across these forums, and it seems to be filled with knowledgeable folks. Here's the situation... I'm new to guns, but I plan on buying a bolt action rifle for both deer hunting and for target shooting. Whatever rifle I end up choosing, I will end up mounting it with a Leupold VX-III scope and probably .308 caliber. I'm pretty much only interested in the black rifles. (Synthetic I suppose, as I just don't feel wood stocks symbolize high tech. Personal preference in other words)

I had originally planned on getting a Remington 700 SPS in .308, but I've heard that they are junk compared to the CDL as the CDL is superior in every way. But... I don't dig the wooden look of the CDL.

After I found out about all this on these forums, I decided to go pick up a copy of Field and Stream, The Accuracy Issue.

I saw the Sako A7 and really like the look, but is it really that much more accurate than the Remington 700 SPS? Any other black bolt actions I should be looking at?

Thanks a ton in advance for reading all this. :D
  2. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

Assumeing were not includeing custom built rifles the Brand and make that comes to my mind would be a Westherby Vanguard Sub-Moa rifle.

I got to say though it seems in the latter part of 2006 until now most American gun manufactures are selling extremely accurate production guns as well as some Imports like the Browning's new X-Bolt.

I hate sounding like a broken record but I have one of the new Ruger Hawkeye boltaction rifles in 308. It's as accurate as it can get.

If you want out of the box gauranteed accuratcy then the Sub-Moa Weatherby Vanguard is a start and worth looking into.

But there's other rifle's too so let's see what the other members here say...A.H
  3. SoDakHunter

SoDakHunter G&G Newbie

Um... without any modification Tikka T3. You can adjust trigger pull to just where you want it verrrrry easily. It is also Sub-Moa out of the box and has about one of the smoothest actions out there. The barrels are taken from the same inventory that sakos come from. Very affordable, deadly accurate.
  4. Big Tool

Big Tool G&G Newbie

I've handled the sps and the cdl and other than the stock they are the same remmington actions, triggers etc.

The remington sps has a nice hogue overmold stock and the action is pretty smooth. The new xmark trigger is pretty decent also. You can get the remington for about 600.

The savage 10fp is also worth looking at. It is the most accurate rifle i own, and probably the most accurate rifle available for the price. The accutrigger is the best trigger I've ever used. Savage 10FP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you want something more high-tech buy a dpms panther 308. Can be had for about a grand, and is more accurate than most out the box rifles.
  5. Jersey Jailer

Jersey Jailer G&G Newbie

I'm kinda partial to the FNH Police rifle, It's a copy of the Winchester pre 64 mod 70 action. Since it's a counter sniper weapon it has to shoot at least MOA. or better. The reports I have seen is that it shoots .5 to .75 MOA. The FBI has adopted it as their counter sniper/sniper rifle. the last one I saw on the rack at my toy store 2 yrs ago they were running $1200 w/o a scope. The Remington 700 "sniper" runs abt. $900. If you get the whole shebang the Rem. can be had with the Leupold scope, rifle/w a sling. 308 or 223, and a pellican case about $2000 list is $2400. The FN outfitted the same as the Remington is about the same price. Both guns may be a bit too heavy for your purpose. Winchester has just announced the re-birth of the model 70 in 3 calibers it is supposed to be the pre 64 action. If I recall correctly FN bought out Winchester, so you look for one of them too. I just read an article recently on the M-70 I think in the American Rifleman (Aug.08 )maybe. If you are looking for a military rifle, any of the major bolt guns are good, before you buy any of them you should get as much info as you can about them. I'm partial to the Springfield '03 or 03-A3. the Lee-Enfield SMLE is supposed to be extremely accurate as is the Mosin-Nagant M91/30, M-38, or M-44 carbines. I believe the 91/30 PU or PE (sniper repro's) go for $250 and up, but I would check out the Mosin Forum here. I have enough knowledge about these guns to be dangerous, so I don't want to give you advice about them. Most have been arsenal rebuilt and certain things to look for I will defer to someone who is more knowledgeable.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  6. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Several brand name rifles can shoot under MOA today and the thing to look for is,several CO,s are putting quality triggers on in the last couple years.Try and get one with an improved non-lawyer trigger.Also,I advise taking a gun-savvy person with you even if you consider yourself experienced.They sometimes spot something I may have missed.As to stocks,if you are really out for quality there,order a barreled action and get a quality stock like Hogue or McMillian for it.You should be able to save a little and get the stock you want. sam.
  7. joe90

joe90 G&G Newbie

If you take a look at the Remington 700 5-R Stainless you will most likely be pleasantly surprised. It shoots well under moa. I just got one not too long ago and I love it. You can most likely find one for under $1000 but close to it. Do a google search the if you go to gunbroker.com there should be some up for auction. It is kind of rare so it might be hard to find anywhere else. You can also take a look at the Remington 700 police.
  8. Bravo

Bravo G&G Newbie

The Remington M700 is the way to go, in my opinion.

Here is a picture of the M700 R-5:
    [​IMG]

Very sharp looking :D
  9. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

A little while ago I got my Ruger Hawkeye out of the cabinet and handled it a few minutes.
    I dryed fired it a few times but all I had to do is touch the trigger and it dry fired.
    No take up, No creep just click...I've got to get use to this, I've never owned a rifle with as nice a trigger as this gun.
    Being safety consous I wonder if all these new triggers are safe. I sure like it and it deffinitly helps accuratcy. But I'd make dearn sure you keep your finger off of them until your ready to shoot !!!

Has anyone else here had to get use to these new target triggers ? ? ?
  10. Domonlord

Domonlord G&G Newbie

Any opinions on the Weatherby Vanguard Sub MOA?
  11. meatloaf

meatloaf G&G Newbie

Yeah its a HOWA, its a japanese made fire arm and you can get more of a gun if you buy a howa because there cheaper. With the vanguard your buying the weatherby name.
  12. Farmer

Farmer G&G Newbie

I'm with AH, Wetherby Vanguard, guaranteed sub moa out of the box and there generally cheaper than some of the "Better" brands.
  13. Domonlord

Domonlord G&G Newbie

Hmm... well is there any review/site/table that shows the differences in the quality of these rifles?

Sako A7
    Remington 700 Police
    Weatherby Vanguard Sub MOA
    Tikka T3

I'm sure all of these offer tack driving abilities, but I was wondering which one is the most "modern" and offers the latest technologies/techniques. Or a table that shows all the features each one offers stacked up against the other.
  14. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

I'm Biased the Rem 700 VSSF in 308 will outshoot alomst everything on the market out of the box
  15. joe90

joe90 G&G Newbie

The 700 police comes with an HS tactical synthetic black stock which is very nice and the 700 5-R comes with a HS tactical synthetic stock but it is OD with liek a black webbing. They are both very nice.
  16. Powderman

Powderman G&G Regular

Savage. Specifically, the 10FP series.

I have the 10FP-LE2A. It came with the Choate heavy stock; while it works well for lots of others, it didn't fit too well for me. I changed it out with a Bell and Carlson Duramaxx, and it works quite well.

I have it mounted with a Burris 6-24x50 XTR Ballistic Mil-Dot scope. It holds sub MOA easily with Federal Gold Medal Match, and with my practice load, which is 41.5 of RL 15, under the 168 grain MatchKing, loaded to an OAL of 2.820. I use Remington brass, and CCI #34 primers, but Winchester primers work just as well.
  17. Jakeway

Jakeway G&G Newbie

Get any of the rifles mentioned hear, making sure it feels good to YOU. THen get a loading press, a set of dies, and have at it.

I read the Field and Stream article, and even they pointed out that they shot all the rifles using factory ammo; usually the best round for any given rifle is tailor-made by the shooter using handloads. Plus you get lots of practice while working up the load.
  18. big boomer

big boomer G&G Enthusiast

Savage has the best out of the box shooter and the accu trigger helps too.