Most Accurate Sporter .22 LR?

Discussion in 'Savage' started by GunsOfAllKind, Aug 21, 2007.

1. GunsOfAllKind

GunsOfAllKind G&G Newbie

3 Questions:

1. What is the most accurate sporter .22 LR bolt action out there, regardless of price (at least no more than $1,500)? I would think that Anschutz or Cooper would be the most accurate, but which one? The Anschutz has probably won more shooting competitions than any other .22 rifle; however, the Cooper M-57 comes with a 5 shot 1/4 inch group guaranty, and even Anschutz doesn't guaranty that as far as I know.

2. Also, value-wise what offers the best value in being very accurate, but still relatively inexpensive? For example, I've heard that the CZ, while not quite as accurate as the Anschutz or Cooper, is pretty darn close and a lot cheaper. But how close is it if anyone knows.

3. Finally, how do the above-listed rifles compare with an accurized Ruger 10/22 (i.e. Fajen stock, Shilen barrel, and Clark trigger job)? My 10/22 is pretty accurate, but I would think a top-of-the-line bolt gun would still be slightly more accurate. Ok guys, I will wecome all feedback to these questions if anyone knows. Thanks in advance for any information.
  2. Clem321

Clem321 G&G Newbie

I think you pretty well answer your own questions. The Anschutz is probably the most consistently accurate production gun, but pricey. The CZ 452 is nearly as accurate, but much more cost effective. It may need some trigger work to approach the quality of the Anschutz trigger. The 10/22, properly worked over, can be as accurate as the Anschutz and CZ. You can also get replacement trigger groups that are every bit as good as the Anschutz trigger, the Kidd trigger comes to mind, but by the time you finish replacing the barrel, stock, trigger group, you have a gun nearly as expensive as the Anschutz.

The advantage the 10/22 has is that the semiauto action allows more time for target acquisition and aiming in timed shooting sports.

I have several Anschutz target rifles, but I can’t afford a Anschutz sporter, so I went with the CZ. I also have a 10/22 that I have tricked out with a Green Mountain barrel and Hogue stock. I am still saving for the Kidd trigger.

Any .22 that will shoot .5” groups at 50 yds. is doing ok. Any of the mentioned guns will do that with ammo they like. The Anschutz is more likely to shoot the occasional .25” group with ammo like the very pricey Eley TENEX ULTIMATE EPS match stuff.
  3. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

a secret lab on the shores of lake titicaca
    it seems there is a level where you can get an accurate rifle for about $400 but the next step up more than doubles the price tag.
    my CZ452 is a great gun but to get a more accurate one would mean anshutz,cooper etc.which are a LOT more expensive.

i got this group @ 100 yds. with the CZ452
    [​IMG]

that CZ has produced the smallest group i have ever gotten out of a firearm.
    .122 @ 25 yds.
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  4. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

the cooper is the only one with an out of the box 1/4" at 50 yd guarantee. coopers shoot, and look good too. the one advantage the anshutz has is its trigger.
    the good value gun is currently the CZ. a well built 10/22 will shoot very well, but they normally need a little more work than just throwing parts at them to shoot their best.
  5. FutureMarine9

FutureMarine9 G&G Newbie

i just about to get a CZ 513 which is a 452 but less fancy for about $219 so its cheap and from what I've heard very accurate so i would recommend a CZ if money is an issue as it is with me
  6. Clem321

Clem321 G&G Newbie

I'm sure the Cooper, Kimber and Anschutz are all very close in accuracy, but Anschutz has the international reputation for winning in the toughest smallbore competition and doing it for the last 40+ years.
  7. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

Has anyone got any experience with the KIMBER 22 bolt actions ????
    They have a Mauser type bolt action and at least they look very nice but this rifle seems to be ignord.
    Any one have any information to share about the Kimbers ????
  8. Deersniper

Deersniper G&G Newbie

Cz

CZ 452 Trainer with a Simmons .22 mag scope and Federal champs = tackdriver.
  9. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

a secret lab on the shores of lake titicaca
    Ive got the 452 varmint/BSA contender 6x24x40mm.
    yes it'll shoot.
  10. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

the kimber rimfires. ie the super american is pretty close in quality to the coopers, but without the accuracy guarantee.
  11. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

Thanks lefty o
  12. JoeLee

JoeLee Suspended

I own two tack drivers,the Mossberg 142A,and the Remington Target Master.
  13. 30dc30

30dc30 G&G Newbie

Remington 40 XR. IF you can find one.
  14. commnorth

commnorth G&G Newbie

Boy, no one has mentioned the Ruger 77/22, I realize its not really a sporter but for the buck its prety darn good.
  15. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

when your speaking of accuracy, the ruger doesnt compare to the others. nice rifle, but no comparison.
  16. mosineer

mosineer G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Well, I dont' know a lot about these, but I had a chance to do a little trading for .22 last week and this what I ended up with. A Remington 541T with a Simmons 6x18x40mm scope. Have heard they are decent, but haven't tried it yet. Anyone had any experience with this one?

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing

Attached Files:

17. commnorth

commnorth G&G Newbie

Hey Lefty O, how's it going? I have never held any of the Coopers, or others for that matter, let alone shot them, all I know is that the Ruger I own ( its the target version;24" targret gray, heavy barrel, laminated stock), it will shoot off the hood of my truck with 2 pillows; really not very proper or professional; it can shoot just under 1"@ 70 yards. Some day I might be able to afford one of the others, then maybe I can group better. I really think if I go to a gun club and shoot of a bench rest with sand bags etc., I'm certian I would be able to shrink my groups. I'm rather new at this hobby/obsession; but I was reading I can get replacement trigger equipment that will also help groups? :)
  18. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

a good trigger can make it easier for you to shoot well.
  19. Clem321

Clem321 G&G Newbie

One of the beauties of the 10/22 is the wide variety of parts available. The gun is really just a receiver, bolt, barrel, trigger group and stock, all of which are available to allow you to build a gun from mild to wild.
  20. Sparkytfl

Sparkytfl G&G Newbie

I saw two Coopers at the store today, a classic 57m and a squirrel model, and the groups on the hang tag were amazing. Truley one hole. Looked like maybe one and a half bullet-widths wide groups.

The kimber hunter there had groups closer to a little over half an inch, maybe three quarters. But it was "only" $800 compared to the 1400 for the coopers.

Didn't touch the coopers, but the kimber had such a nice smooth bolt operation. The barrel was a bit uneven in the stock channel though. The wood on both looked about equal in quality. Non-gloss, rather plain but acceptable, reminds me of the low range browning OU shotguns.