Most potent .22 LR ammo

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by nc.hunter, Mar 23, 2008.

1. nc.hunter

nc.hunter G&G Newbie

Hey guys, In your opinion what is the most potent .22 LR cartridge. I was looking and so far i think the aguila .22LR 30 gr. supermax are a good bet. They have stated 1750 f.p.s and 204lbs. of energy! That is alot of power for a .22LR. I am looking forward to hearing your opinions on this question. Ohh yeah.... What is the maximum, accurate range of a .22 LR. Thanks.
  2. andrew cochran

andrew cochran G&G Newbie

I would say the cci velcitor is the most potent .22 LR round. As the Aguila supermax has a very light bullet so it won't penatrate as far. Accuracy with a .22 LR will be fine out to 75 yards.
  3. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I agree,but even so,the most potent will probably not be the most accurate. sam.
  4. two-70

two-70 G&G Newbie

cci stinger, velociter,remington yellow jacket
  5. LarryO1970

LarryO1970 G&G Enthusiast

Aguila .22 interceptor ... a 1470fps 40 grain solid point or the 30 grain hollow point. I do not see a velocity on the 30 grain animal, but it has to be faster...
  6. Ron AKA

Ron AKA Suspended

I had a few of these in my database and made an arbitrary assumption that 100 ft-lbs defines the effective range. Here are the effective ranges from best to worst:

Yards - Brand
    118 - CCI Velocitor
    97 - Aguila Supermax
    92 - CC Stinger
    80 - Rem Viper
    73 - Rem Yellow Jacket

I didn't have the 100 yard data on the Aguila Interceptor so can't get the BC. At 1470 and 40 grains it may be slightly ahead of the Velocitor - if the BC is nearly as good or better.

Accuracy is another matter. I'm going to try all of the above except for the Aguila next week, so will know better then.

Ron
  7. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

I like the velocitor
  8. scoutman

scoutman G&G Newbie

well i found the cci quick shot about 1600 fps but i agree the accuracy is not that good i just got a new 22 on friday and sighted it in with a scope at 50yds and tested different ammo after i sighted it in with cheap ammo that i will be shooting most of the time and got it zeroed .then i tried some rem vipers rem yellows and rem subsonics the subsonics gave me better accuracy than the cheap CCI blazers that i was using to sight my gun in with the yellows came in 2nd and where a inch high and a inch left from the center then the vipers came 3rd with a simmilar patturn but accuracy not as good as the yellows then the quick shot in 4th and they were 3 inches high and more than a inch left of the center an the grouping was not very tight you could not touch all the holes with a quarter

my answer : high power 22lr ammo no good unless thats all you are going to shoot out of your gun but thats not good for your barrel im just sicken with the regular high velocity rounds and a few yellows and some subsonic shells and i'll be able to get any small game like rabbit with in 75 yards or so, high power shells good for the extra zing and insurance of gettin the game but not really a must have just go and get a 22mag or 17hmr and you will have something more accurate and power full because IMHO a fast 22lr bullet is not going to get very good accuracy with the rifling only 1 in 16 they arent really made to shoot that stuff

i have a marlin model 60SB

what do you think big dog you having more expert advice than i do
  9. andrew cochran

andrew cochran G&G Newbie

Very true
  10. rfc357

rfc357 G&G Newbie

Why do you need an opinion? Just look at the ammo tables in the Gun Digest and pick the load with the highest muzzle energy. Question answered.

Comparing energy among .22 lr loadings is like comparing dates of rank among 2nd lieutenants or relative virtue among hookers. Once you have it figured out, what good does it do you?
  11. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

That's a rude response...the guy just asked a simple question; Obviously he wants some opinions.

I use American Eagle, 38 gr HP and find accuracy to be very acceptable at 100 yds. The actual range, with this cartridge, may vary from rifle to rifle. I use a Ruger 10/22T and my wife shoots a standard model Ruger 10/22; she gets great accuracy at 50 yds with the AE.
    Potency? I couldn't tell you but I'm sure it would work well on small game like squirrel and rabbit at 100 yds max.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  12. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

My favorite response for cartridge questions is what i've used, what worked well, what sucked green eggs, and Go To The Range, shoot a few boxes of each type you can find...and you'll have a solid answer.
  13. rfc357

rfc357 G&G Newbie

My point is, this is a question that is not properly settled by opinion. It can be settled by fact.

It's also immaterial. There is nothing one .22lr will do that another will not. There is so little difference in performance among .22lr rounds that the only discriminator I have ever found useful is accuracy. Accuracy is highly dependent on the individual firearm. If you choose your .22 ammo based on accuracy, you will achieve the best performance.

I do not consider my answer rude. Sarcastic, maybe. My apologies if I offended anyone.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  14. scoutman

scoutman G&G Newbie

very true rfc357 accuracy really the only discriminator when picking the best load. penetration and nock down power comes 2nd becasue without accuracy you cant hit what you are shooting at any way and thats commonsence! this is very true when dealing with the 22 LR cartridge because it is not as powerfull as other cartridges are so bullet placement is key to hunting game. if you talk about high power rifle or combat cartidges thats different, different consideration must be considered when pinking ammunition to use for high power or combat guns
  15. Molly

Molly G&G Newbie

> ... There is nothing one .22lr will do that another will not.

Sorry, but that's not quite accurate. Most 22's will fire and function safely in most .22 semi-autos. CCI Stingers will not. I've had the unfortunate experience of having one literally blow up a nice little Tarus PT-22. The slide blew back, came partly off the gun, and the left grip was blown completely off. One of the grip screws was stripped out, and the clip was gutted and the innards were imbedded in the ground at my feet. Stung like the devil too.

I contacted CCI to alert them to the possibility that their QC might have let a bad batch slip through. I was told that the fault was obviously mine and mine alone, since they had no liability in such matters.

I was a trifle put out, and asked how it could be my fault that their 22 ammo wasn't safe in a standard 22 pistol. I was told that the Stinger line was sold only for some special type of 22 chamber, which was not a feature of the Tarus pistol.

I've bought CCI products for 40 years. I don't buy CCI _anything_ any more.

Molly
  16. conanld

conanld G&G Newbie

I will only fire Stingers in a steel wheel gun. I've had too many problems with Stingers in semi-autos myself. I once blew the grips off of a Baretta .22 LR pistol using Stingers. It really stings the hand when that happens. I guess that's why they call them Stingers.

LD
  17. Billyz

Billyz G&G Newbie

Dont know what was meant by effective range but a friend of mine was shooting bowling pins over at the 300 yard mark. It was cheap remington 550 for 11 bucks stuff. And no he didnt hit em every time but about every other. Oh marlin rifle. Cheers
  18. Taurus Fan

Taurus Fan G&G Newbie

OK, that's funny, and too true. Lotta hub-bub over little. Like arguing over which Japanese firearm of WW2 sucked the least.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  19. meatloaf

meatloaf G&G Newbie

LMAO what a beautiful answer. Also , what japenese gun did suck the least?:werd:
  20. bigbuddy21

bigbuddy21 G&G Enthusiast

the reason he wants to know is because he thinks he's going to hunt
    coyotes with a .22, and he's been told by a lot of other shooters that
    a .22 is not powerfull enough.

typical kid, ask's for opinions and when they don't suit him he ignores our
    help and experience.