Multiple uses of bear fat?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by killer, Sep 5, 2006.

1. killer

killer G&G Newbie

I rendered down about one gallon of bear fat from my bear and plan on using it for boot preservative. Before you laugh let me tell you about the last time I saved the fat. Around January when it was minus twenty below (up here in Minnesota ya know) the wife tells me, "Get that bear fat out of my freezer!" Well me being busy and all what with ice fishing and winter shooting sports of fox/coyote fur in its prime I stick the bear fat out in the uninsulated shed out back.

Come July I'm out there and find someone had stuck a bag of something right inside the door and I realize immeadiately what it is. Oh lord...I use a stick to open it and peer inside. To my utter amazement there are no bugs in it and no smell. What's more the fat is just like the day I cut it off and looks like the photo attached below. Well it being July and all, fishing and crow hunting at its peak, I set the sack off to the side since it kept so well without refrigeration...don't know where that sack is now but I bet the fat is still good.

I've heard the bear fat if placed in a mason jar will act like a barometer of sorts, the fat changes in consistency (I'm talking rendered down bear fat now) anyway I seriously am going to try it on leather.

Anyone care to use it as a sexual aid and report back? I know they do something with the gull bladder as a aphrodisiac but I already gave that away to a Korean buddy who is going to use it for just that.

Any other idea's out there for the bear fat?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2006
  2. troy2000

troy2000 Suspended

Nothing useful to add to the conversation, but I will say this is one of the more interesting posts I've seen lately...
  3. Rookie_Rover

Rookie_Rover G&G Newbie

I can totally agree with that.

I came up with several suggestions, but remembering that this is a family forum killed almost every last one.
  4. Pumpkinheaver

Pumpkinheaver G&G Enthusiast

I remember years ago a friend of my late grandfather used bear fat to make some of the best pastries I ever ate. Don't know what she did with or to it but it was good.
  5. killer

killer G&G Newbie

Hmmmm...I'll have to ask some of the womenfolk. I don't know nothing about baking but this is the kind of idea's I'm looking for. Real life uses for bear fat.

I bought some contemporary styled wide mouth 8 ounce jars with elegant platinum finish lids to store the bear fat in. I'd give them out as gag gifts but I'm really not trying to be funny. Well...maybe a little but just a little.

I had heard indians used it as a cold weather protector on their skin. The odor is very faint. I doubt many would know it was there. It's not offensive at all.

I rendered down about three and a third quarts and it seems to settle with a thicker sendiment at the bottom. I'm not sure if the clear stuff on top is the
    good stuff or what.

So I really am serious, if you read something in an old "FoxFire Book" or remember an old wives tale about the use of bear fat please post.
  6. troy2000

troy2000 Suspended

Here's an article about a bear grease weather forecaster

Mountain Monthly Newspaper, Cloudcroft, New Mexico

Also, "Indians used a mixture of pine pitch, charcoal and bear grease as a seam sealant..." for birchbark canoes.

In the 1800's people used it for hair pomades.

Here's a couple of guys posting about rendering and using it:

BEAR GREASE - Topic Powered by eve community

There's some leather conditioner from Finland called "Bear Grease", but it's really petroleum-based. "Bear Guard," on the other hand, is made of bear grease and beeswax.

Several websites say that bear grease (rendered bear fat) makes better pastries than lard.

That's enough for now; I'm bored with googling.
  7. killer

killer G&G Newbie

troy2000 you are a ferret for information. I downloaded info from both sites you provided. I'm still snooping out Goggle search engine too using, "bear fat" and "bear grease" as key words. Apparently bear fat has even been used as a gun oil. I'll have to try it out (on one of the cheaper guns).

Thanks!!
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2006
  8. Elkhound

Elkhound G&G Newbie

Bear fat makes great water proofing on boots and I have not done it but lots of people use it to make lard for baking...supposed to be incredible
  9. Adventures

Adventures G&G Newbie

beargrease

isn't the name of your famed sled dog race on the north shore called beargrease? well, I'd bet that,s for the runners to make them slippery. Just a guess.

My dad once told me that when he was little he accidently stepped in a bucket of used motor oil with one of his new leather boots and that it made it even more waterproof than the other one and that that boot looked new till the day he had to throw the pair away because the other one had completley fallen apart. I would guess this bear fat may be able to do the same, but without so much smell.
    one year we forgot the cooking oil on our hunting trip (luckily we were hunting bear) when we got one down we used his fat to cook up all of our potatos and meats and stuff, worked great.
    justin
  10. CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan G&G Newbie

Hmm, interesting.

Can't soap also be made out of fat? Boil it, scrape out and filter out all of the oil and you are left with a cleansing liquid? Something like that...
  11. troy2000

troy2000 Suspended

A little sidetrack

If you want your shovel and pick handles to last forever, soak them in used motor oil. And I mean soak; lay them in something long and shallow, pour the stuff over them, and let them stay in it for a couple of weeks. Then wipe them down good, and they'll wear like iron.
  12. Joey l mur

Joey l mur G&G Newbie

Black fly

Black fly and mosquito repellent.
    Works good as a lamp oil.
    Diesel fuel and kerosene does the same job.
    Flavoring flies and artificial fish bates as well as preserving summon row.

:throwup: :stupid:
  13. Joey l mur

Joey l mur G&G Newbie

Black fly

;) Black fly and mosquito repellent.
    Works good as a lamp oil.
    Diesel fuel and kerosene does the same job.
    Flavoring flies and artificial fish bates as well as preserving summon row.
    :eek: :D :(
  14. rdnckhnter

rdnckhnter G&G Newbie

pennsylvania and new jersey right on the bored
    yah i have some buddies that soak their fisings lures and artificial baits in it
  15. zinu

zinu G&G Newbie

You'd better try bear fat(melted in can or pan) to your wound or gash.

It's a miracle!

And I need <BEAR FAT WHICH NOT DIVIDED FROM HAIRED SKIN>.

I'll wait for your email.
  16. Mike Franklin

Mike Franklin G&G Newbie

According to Kieth, and others, Bease Fat makes the best lard that can be had. Use it just like any other lard for baking or frying.
  17. blaster

blaster G&G Enthusiast

I've rendered fat from my bears and used it on my boots and other leather. it worked good. only problem is the roaches liked it too. I also use the solidified grease in my patch box on my old round ball shooter, it works great for patch lube

a friend's wife makes some good soap with it too
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  18. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Black Bear Fat Makes the Finest Pastries /pie Crusts you could ever Imagine...Chefs know it is a delicacy in the Pastry Market !!!
    Works good on Leather Too.!
    Rich
  19. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

Can you Pop Pop Corn with Bear fat ?
  20. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I have no trouble keeping any hand tool,especially shovels and picks I have looking like new as long as I store them inside and don't loan them to others. sam.
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2008