My Home Made Steel Targets

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Doglips, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

The kids love shooting at targets that react...we have a small spinner target...but I came across a 4'x4' peice of 3/8" steel plate and decided to make some plate type targets.
    The plates are 8"x8" (yellow) and 12x12" white. The plates are hung on 1/2" galvanised steel pipes with nylon rope....here is the pic.....probly see how they hold up to 22LR this weekend....may even hit it was some other stuff as I got a bunch of extra plates left over :)

Attached Files:

2. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Good job! What about that plate in your head though!? :D
  3. Snakebite

Snakebite G&G Newbie

I made some that were very similar. The only difference was I welded some large washers to the tops of the plates so they could rotate on the pipe and spin completely around. A .22 wont do anything to 3/8" steel. In fact I they may not swing around because they are so heavy and hanging low on the ropes. But you'll still know when ya hit em!!
  4. dhermesc

dhermesc G&G Newbie

I had to laugh, a guy I know (Stopper knows him too) had one of the little spinner targets you are SUPPOSED to shoot with a .22. He shot it with a .303 and wondered why they didn't hold up.
  5. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Looks good, someday I hope I hit a target.
  6. rustyb

rustyb G&G Newbie

A range I use to shoot on had a steel swinging target at 25 yards was shooting at it with a 38 and the lead was bouncing back into the shooting area. farther out was ok just watch out up close
  7. Snakebite

Snakebite G&G Newbie

Theres a range here that allows the metal targets on the pistol range. I WON'T shoot there!! Somebody is going to get hurt someday.
  8. tommy

tommy G&G Newbie

yea metal is danderous up close . better go for some log shot's with them targets.and depending on where you are shooting and how good you are i would back out those side pipe's alittle more it could send a .22 round sideways and you wouldn't want that to happen.i would give it another 1 and 1/2 feet of clearance in between the target and the pipes.maybe even two feet.
  9. whirlwind

whirlwind G&G Enthusiast

my brother in law bought one of those little 22 spinner targets once, we wanted to see how much it would take so i shot it with my 41 magnum......one shot ripped the plate off the steel rod! hahahaha he was kinda mad but it was his idea to start with! :D the plate flew rather well though! lol about 30 feet!
  10. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Thanks All. Actualy I plan to angle the target when I set it in the ground....the range I use Has large burms seperating the ranges so a angle glance will send it into the dirt. I figure 25 yyards is the min distance...probly start off at 50. Not sure how they shoot steel plates at the cowboy and IPSIC matches without some lead flying back.
    As for the little spinner targets I shot one a few times with a 7.62x54R...went right throuh it....nice clean hole....wife's 9mm dented it.
  11. Dennis

Dennis G&G Enthusiast

The Nylon rope wont last long
  12. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I've got one of the spinner targets from Wally Mart, and have had great fun with it - til some #$#@ put a .30 cal round thru it when I wasn't looking! Looked like it was drilled! Another group of guys had a home-made metal target. with several welded spinners. They shot it to pieces with an SKS and a Mosin! One 7.62X54R went thru the spinner's tube and the round bar stock - talk about penetration. :p

A CASS friend practices with steel targets at 25 yards - only one problem. The lead fragments splashing to each side tend to rip thru other regular targets in the wood frames. Gets a bit messy.

Another guy brings a 1/2 scale pig target made of 1" steel plate - heavy! He trundles it to the 110 yard berm with a dolly, then shoots it with his Ruger Blackhawk .44 Magnum - open sighted.
    Makes a nice "ding!" when he hits it. All went well til some idiot with more caliber than brains shot a wheel off his dolly! :mad:
  13. Dale

Dale G&G Newbie

Doglips, that'll work.

I have a friend who did something similar out of an old boiler. The slightly round figuration of the boiler steel seems that it would help eliminate, or reduce, lead bounce back.

I know he shoots the chit out of his steel and cuts out more boiler steel as he needs it.

The sparsely populated area here, coupled with plenty of hills and revenes makes it easy for a lot of us to shoot on our own property if we wish.

Have fun, Doglips......yepper....fer sure. Be safe and I agree with distance shooting at the flat plate style. Perhaps you could make a slight modification so you could pull the bottoms back (away from you) so that there is a slant to deflect the rounds down into the ground. Just a thought.
  14. Pumpkinheaver

Pumpkinheaver G&G Enthusiast

That's why we wear eye protection fella's. I regularly attend pin shoots and bullets will sometimes bounce back from them as well.