My latest "X" gun is ready to play

Discussion in 'General Rifle' started by dmsbandit, Jan 30, 2011.

1. dmsbandit

dmsbandit G&G Newbie

upstate New Yorkistan [the first openly totalitian
    As some of you may be aware, I'm a big "X" gun fan.

My 1st "X" gun was a 30-06 that is the 1st gun I ever owned that would shoot multiple loads under .75" and some well under .5".

My 2nd "X" gun was a 308 that was sent to the 'smith for a trimming. I had the barrel cut back to 18.25" and a recessed crown done. That gun has shot the single best 3 shot group I've ever shot with any rifle of any sort. .101" at 100yds is something I doubt I'll ever beat.

My newest "X" gun started out as a 7-08. Once again I sent it to the 'smith and this time I had him do something different. I had him rechamber the gun to 284win. While he had it apart, he cleaned up the bolt lugs, replaced the ejector spring, faced off the recoil lug, and set the headscape to the minimum side [3-4 thousanths].

I mounted a 6-24x40 Tasco High Country scope on it for load developement and put it in a set of B-Square rings for the time being. I plan on using some Millet Rings and either a Nitrex TR2 2-10x42 scope or a Bushnell Trophy XLT with the DOA 600 reticle.

Here is a picture of it ready for the range.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm going to try some 140gr Nosler BT, but will also investigate the 120 BT, and the 130 Speer SPBT.
  2. mouser868

mouser868 G&G Enthusiast

Nice rifle, let us know how it turns out for ya.
  3. dmsbandit

dmsbandit G&G Newbie

I got to the range yesterday and tried some 140gr NBT over a few different powders. IMR4350 was the winner today getting 3 shots under 1", but Winchester 760 also showed promise. Once again I was disappointed with Rel-15. I've tried that powder in a few guns and it never seems to live up to all the hype people spread about it.
    I'm going to try some my 140NBT with a few more powders. I also have some 139Hornady SP bullets to try. I have a few 120gr NBT and I'll load them too. I think I'll try the 150 gamekings and see if they will shoot too
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  4. Browning

Browning G&G Newbie

I too have never been a fan of any of the Reloader-? powders. always got realy stout recoil, poor groups, and even pressure problems with loads that were listed in the mid range of the load books.

I always look to Hodgdon and IMR for good rifle powders. I leave Alliant to the pistols.
  5. WisconsinHunter

WisconsinHunter G&G Newbie

Looks like you got yourself a good rifle there. I just wished they'd come out with a 20" heavy barreled .308, then I would have to get one of these "X" guns.
  6. dmsbandit

dmsbandit G&G Newbie

There is a 26" heavy barreled varmit listed in the distributor's catalog. It would be easy to take off 6" of barrel and have your gun. My dealer says the HB varmit is selling for the same price as the standard "X" guns.
  7. AllAlaskan

AllAlaskan G&G Enthusiast

I was about to say he could get one then take it to a gun smith and have it shortened to a 20 inch and recrowned.