My sks Nightmare please help

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by lovemybangbang, Dec 21, 2009.

1. lovemybangbang

lovemybangbang G&G Newbie

im a new rifle owner and i got a chinesse sks from a life long freind who passed away ive been out severl times and always never had a problem i used the bullets i got with the gun 7.62x39m chineese military armor percing round green laquer coated .... several days ago i went out with some grey surplused amoo first shot bolt reciver was stuck forward casing stuck in chamber .. good wack casing ejected fine. Reloaded bolt carrier action was smooth fired again bolt carrier stuck forward agian gave some umphe..casing stuck im guessing happen repatedly just wondering whats going on
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  2. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Enthusiast

Were there any stains on the casings? It could be that the lacquer from previous shells coated the chamber enough that it in addition to the zinc coating on the gray casings is gluing them in the chamber from the heat of the powder burning. The melted lacquer will leave marks on the used casings.
  3. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

Sounds like the chamber may need a good cleaning. Take a look at the "Sticky Bolt Syndrome" thread in the Mosin Nagant forums for details.
  4. SightNSqueeze

SightNSqueeze G&G Newbie

Zink and melted lacquer in the chamber. That will do it. Give the chamber a really good cleaning and give it another try.
  5. lovemybangbang

lovemybangbang G&G Newbie

thank guys what the best thing to use to clean in out and why did the green bullets i have none pointed tip they where like a rough tip
  6. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

As toolman says, go read the stickys in the Mosin Nagant Forum where we go into exhaustive detail on how to clean out a fouled chamber. We're discussing Mosins, which can have problems with a devil's brew of powder residue, lacquer from military surplus ammo and vaporized lube forming gluey gunk that sticks the casings to the chamber so badly the extractor can't pull them out.. But the principles of cleaning out the chamber work for any firearm.
  7. M14man

M14man I don't take prisoners... Forum Contributor

Get in the habit of cleaning your gun every time you use it. I get the impression you don't. Dirty guns corrode. That chinese ammo is corrosive and you will rust your barrel if it is not cleaned soon after shooting.
  8. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Enthusiast

^That depends. If it's a Yugo, it will rust out. But corrosive ammo won't hurt the chrome lined bore of all the other makes unless left in there for months on end without cleaning or shooting. But still a good idea to clean after every shooting regardless.
  9. MilkMan

MilkMan G&G Newbie

Welcome to G&G Lovemybangbang. Clean your gun after every outing and your bangbang will love you back! Enjoy!
  10. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

As the others have said, a good cleaning should solve this problem.
  11. R5CYA

R5CYA G&G Newbie

i'm willing to bet those are not mil-surp rounds. what's stamped on the primer end?
  12. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

What ???
    Chrome will rust and Begin to Peel with Corrosive ammo if it is not Cleaned.
    Even Stainless or Chrome Moly will start to corrode from corrosive salts.
    Chrome lining was for wear quality , not as a substitute fro Cleaning...
  13. frenchy

frenchy G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Be afraid of The Rust, Be Very Afraid! I have seen stainless steel rust when the carbon and conditions were rite :scared:

The Rustaphobic
  14. Capt'n Mil Coll

Capt'n Mil Coll G&G Enthusiast

Hey Lovemybangbang when you have to hit the op arm to open a semi thats called going into 2x4. Cus it takes a 2x4 to bang it open. Good luck on your SKS.
  15. Archetype_wyo

Archetype_wyo G&G Enthusiast

Any serious gun cleaners like Shooter's Choice or Butch's Bore Shine or others similar will work. They have alot of ammonia in them and work great. I've tried Hoppes and CLP and they just didn't clean like Shooter's Choice and Butch's Bore Shine did. Also in reference to CLP, I like to clean with a solvent and to lube with well a lube and CLP makes a mess IMHO.
  16. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Enthusiast

To my knowledge, there isn't any 7.62x39 ammo available anywhere that's corrosive enough to cause rusting. The only stuff I know about is the current Yugo stuff and I've yet to find proof that it's corrosive. It's considered that because the primer is lightly corrosive, but not enough to cause problems. If this were a different caliber, I would say don't even think about chancing it, but 7.62x39 these days isn't corrosive enough to cause problems. Now that I think of it, it's slightly odd considering that the other Russian calibers 5.45x39, 7.62x25, 7.62x54r are all mostly corrosive and available 7.62x39 isn't.
  17. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ G&G Enthusiast

Corrosive ammo warning

A associate of mine had shot corrosive ammo in his Norinco SKS thinking the chorme barrel was safe, turns out it wasent the barrel that got ruined it was the gas piston and tube that were so badly corroded it took 2 hours of messing with it to get them seperated, the corrosion salts had somehow been made ther was past the chrome on the gas piston, the gas tube looked like a old sewer pipe.

Corrosive ammo and the gas system is bad news if not cleaned
  18. flyingbrkracing

flyingbrkracing G&G Newbie

Ya beat me to it Rex!!!!

Cleaned the bore on my Yugo and neglected the gas port,found out the hard way when I kept getting FTE,finally broke it down and the mess was bad!!!!