National Power Blackout Drill

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by don5544, Oct 4, 2013.

1. don5544

don5544 G&G Regular

Scheduled for November 13th and 14th.

They are talking about turning all the power off to check the grid.

No power means almost no communication.

For once I'm scared. This is the type thing that can only go bad.

That wensday and Thursday I will be armed at home behind locked doors.
  2. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Good idea. A lot of sheeple won't get the notice and will be caught flatfooted. They'll freak when they can't watch sports or DWTS. No hair blowers, no stereos. The stores and banks all dark.All electric homes totally dark....
    Mine's also "all electric", but I have camp stoves and battery LED lanterns, and two gensets to keep the fridge and freezer going. We preppers do this sort of thing periodically to keep in practice! :thumbup:

Posted From Gun & Game Mobile!
  3. White Rook

White Rook G&G Enthusiast

Turning it off doesn't bother me.. It's getting it to come back on that worries me... Anytime the Feds do something, FUBAR comes to into play quite often...
  4. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Newbie

Link??????
  5. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Newbie

If this true........I smell a rat.

Why would it take 2 days to "test" the system?

What are they REALLY testing?

Doesn't it sound like an incredibly opportune time for a foreign influence to take advantage, especially since it is being published ahead of time?

There are SO MANY bad scenarios that can come from this, I don't see how this can possibly be true, UNLESS the gubmint has a MAJOR diabolical scheme to perpetrate.

What is the "source" for this information?
  6. don5544

don5544 G&G Regular

I'm horrible with computers. Just do a google search for National Power Blackout Drill. I found several sites talking about it. I just didn't find it on an official site.

Snoops doesn't show anything.
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  7. RedneckCatholic

RedneckCatholic G&G Enthusiast

The Valley Below the Uplandish Volksgemeinde
    I've heard of this only in context of a voluntary shut off of ones own power to test preps...I don't think it will happen at all. But since we're prepped for no power, we're good, either way.
  8. LeftHandShooter

LeftHandShooter G&G Enthusiast

The city we live in owns our own power plant. Very cheap too!
  9. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

I think they are just testing the continuity of the grid and have no plan for interruption of service. No need to worry except maybe if things start happening on that day be a little more ready. I could see how some idiot could start a cascade blackout by testing a switch and getting the wrong one.

Although one -- if dependent on electrical power -- would be well advised to have one's generator checked and operational. Course this goes for pretty much all the time. Standby power is cheap (the energy/fuel is the tough nut to crack and how to store or access it--it always comes down to energy).

Then again, most of us if well trained don't need electrical power to live one's life.
  10. srt 10 jimbo

srt 10 jimbo G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

I don't think they are gonna shut the power down for 2 days across the Nation, they would close the stock market, looting would be ramp id , Dogs and Cats, Living Together , Total wrath of God stuff. I call Bulls@#$
  11. TNPIRATE

TNPIRATE Landlubber Pirate Forum Contributor

Yep White Rook you are right. Just look at all the problems the gooberment is havin just tryin to get a website to work:biglaugh: I have been hearin about the wait time to sign up for the obamanation carelol

:swordfight:
  12. Jay

Jay Old man, no tact... Staff Member Forum Contributor

Not likely to shut off power.. think of all the security systems that suddenly won't work.... street lights...... traffic control systems, TSA scanners at airports. Perhaps some will have emergency power, but it will be interesting to see what actually happens. I have emergency power.... call (or signal) before you come over. :usa2:
  13. TNPIRATE

TNPIRATE Landlubber Pirate Forum Contributor

Speakin of signalslol I saw on the history channel one time that when cars first came to a rural area in the Midwest there was one state that had a Y in the road. Well if you were comin to that Y you had to flash your lights, honk your horn, and get out of the car and fire 3 shots in the air. No one lived in this rural area but cars were so rare they didn't want an accidentlol

Now when goin to Jays house DO NOT signal usin the 3 shots in the air method. Due to 3 will get ya a 4th:biglaugh:

:swordfight:
  14. Jay

...exactly.... :usa2:
  15. blue fox

blue fox G&G Enthusiast

Might be the same response if you pull up to my driveway and I live in town:bigok:
  16. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Electric Grid

don5544: Sir, it appears a simulation without shutting down.

Will There be an Electric Grid Blackout on November 13th and 14th, 2013? The Sphinx Stargate

The North American Utility Reliability Corporation (mentioned in the above article) is in charge of planning this upcoming November drill which is called Grid Ex-II. I wrote to Bill Lawrence who is the man in charge saying:
    “Dear Mr. Lawrence, … I have a question about the upcoming November 13th/14th test scheduled to take place in just two months. First, I was wondering whether NERC the main agency overseeing this drill? Also, there are postings on the internet indicating that on these days the U.S. will be participating with Canada and Mexico in an excercise to examine the system response to a hypothetical EMP event or cyber attack and some postings claim that the entire electrical grid will be shut down during these two days. Is there any truth to this? I need to have some informed input on this since I find this hard to believe.”

He responded:
    “Dr. LaViolette, NERC is running a simulated exercise to practice crisis response and information sharing. No real power outages will occur due to this exercise. The scenario does not involve EMP.”
  17. Jay

Good input, Craig, thanks....
  18. Glenn654

Glenn654 G&G Regular

I have a hard time buying this one.

Shutting down the national economy for two days will cost many, many billions is lost business.....

And think about the start up costs.....
    steel mills, power plants etc

Don't think it will happen.

Glenn654
  19. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Newbie

20. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Enthusiast

Shutting down the power in November for 2 days? That would mean no heat for some for 2 days. I couldn't ever see this happening. By that time of the year many areas are already in the 20s-30s at night and not much higher in the daytime. To many folks wouldn't survive the ordeal.

Like Ten Man said though it isn't a bad idea to have a plan and possibly have alternate power or alternate heat source and have enough provisions for you and your family for more than a few days.