Need scope mounts for a m96 swede

Discussion in 'Mausers' started by kmdusty, Nov 24, 2010.

1. kmdusty

kmdusty G&G Newbie

New to the form but looks like there is some knowledge out there! I have a CG m96 6.5 x 55 swede that I am sporterizing (already butchered) and was wondering if anyone can recommend what scope mounts I could use. The bolt has been turnded down and the safety has been changed to allow for a lower scope mount.

Any help is appreciated.
  2. Kaybe

Kaybe G&G Enthusiast

I got mine drilled and tapped, a weaver was put on it. The only non-gunsmithing mount is for the replacement of the rear sight. I put a scope on it and do not regret doing so. I love the Swedish Mauser
  3. kmdusty

kmdusty G&G Newbie

Swede m96 bases/rings

Thanks Kaybe. I will definitely be drilling and tapping as well. This little rifle has already been significantly altered so is beyond restoring to its original military spec. Should make a dandy deer rifle though. The barrel has also been shortened and one step has been turned out on the lathe. Appreciate any pics or model no.s of your weaver bases. I prefer as low a profile as possible.
  4. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

leupold makes some bases that fit, couldnt tell you a part# as its been along time since i did this rifle. redfield makes, or made a 1 piece base but i never cared for the fit between that base and the reciever.

Attached Files:

5. kmdusty

kmdusty G&G Newbie

Thanks. Another form member mention Leupold base as well.
    Ps. Nice rifle!

6. jmeck

jmeck Scope mount mfgr. Forum Contributor

Nicely done, Thats a beautiful rifle.
  7. roofernz1

roofernz1 G&G Newbie

I have Weaver mounts on mine

Attached Files:

8. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

There is a removable Swedish mount, but they are spendy !!
  9. kmdusty

kmdusty G&G Newbie

Nice. I like the low profile. My scope does not have the large bell as it's only a 2.5 fixed power. I prefer still hunting in the woods and don't require the magnification but prefer the scope over the open sites now that I'm getting Old and moldy! I assume your happy with the Weaver bases.
  10. kmdusty

kmdusty G&G Newbie

I took this little Swede on as a project to learn more about gunsmithing. Half the fun of this project is to see how good a hunting rifle I can create for as little $ as possible. So far I have a total cost of $49.00 into this project. I have had a buddy turn down and shorten the barrel (free), I bedded the action myself and am working the stock. I have doweled and glued a section of walnut to the original stock and reshaped it into more of a pistol grip than the original straight lines. The original stock was walnut so I think this will look pretty good. I also put a curly maple forend cap on it. So... the cheaper the funner!
  11. roofernz1

roofernz1 G&G Newbie

I have had the weaver bases on for about 12 years and had no problems.The scope is a 3-9 for longer range but the second swedish rifle in the picture is probably going to get a 2.5 power scope.The top rifle was built in 1900 ,the barrel is like new and I can get reloads down to 12mm-20mm on the target.New rifles just dont cut it for me
  12. kmdusty

kmdusty G&G Newbie

Holly Crow! That's better than I've ever shot. I don't reload (yet) and only shoot a 2.5 power scope. I always figured a 3 shot group into a 3'' bull from 100 yards with factory amo was a decent hunting rifle and fair to the game. Besides my project swede, my only other rifle is a .303 enfield stamped "1845" on her reciever. It kicks hard (brass butt plate) and I'm skinny so I am looking forward to the 6.5 x 55. I only have the one scope which is on my old .303 and I'd like to leave it there. I'm still thinking low magnification for the swede because of my style of hunting. I'll check out the weaver bases. Thanks for the info Roofernz1!
  13. roofernz1

roofernz1 G&G Newbie

Theres nothing wrong with a 303.There are thousands still in use over here-good deer gun.Once you start to reload you can make up loads to suit your rifles more for accuracy than speed. Cheers Steve
  14. rando

rando G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

I drilled and tapped mine myself and I used weaver bases #55 for rear and #46 for front base
  15. Lead Lawman

Lead Lawman G&G Newbie

Accumounts.com has decant mounts, I bought a LSR mount for my 98k and it's done well by me. the sight has a line devoted to the swede.