Need some help for an old Seabee

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by aaplayer, Dec 11, 2012.

1. aaplayer

aaplayer G&G Regular

I need some help with a Christmas present for my grandfather who was in Vietnam (66-69).

My grandmother and grandfather met during their time in Annapolis. She was a WAVE and he was Seabee. They dated while they were there but lost each other during Vietnam. They both married other people divorced but have come back to each other and been married for quite a while now. When they got married my grandmother gave him her WAVE hat pin which he pinned to a baseball cap that he wore everywhere.

Unfortunately a few years back around this time he lost the hat in a store and my grandmothers pin along with it. Well this year since I'm significantly more financially stable I am going to replace the pin and hat but I want to add a pin for his time in the Seabees.

Finding a match to my grandmothers pin was a nightmare but I did find one and it is on its way to me but if anyone can point out something that would be meaningful to my grandfather I would be extremely grateful.
  2. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

3. TNPIRATE

TNPIRATE Landlubber Pirate Forum Contributor

I went to lookin too. And I was thinkin this might work. A ballcap with the Seabee patch and the moto. Then you put the WAVE pin in the ballcap. It would honor both Grandparents. Here is the web site for the ballcap. The ballcaps are all the way at the bottom of the page on the site.

NAVY

[​IMG]

:swordfight:
  4. Jay

Jay Old man, no tact... Staff Member Forum Contributor

5. Shrpnl

Shrpnl G&G Regular Forum Contributor

6. Seabeescotty

Seabeescotty G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Well, everyone beat me to it! The Seabee website is awesome, and has all kinds of good stuff on it. Tell your Grandad hello from another old 'Bee from MCB4, and tell them thanks for serving in our nation's time of need. Can Do says it all, and it looks like you inherited some of that git 'r done attitude!
  7. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Thank both for their service....
  8. aaplayer

aaplayer G&G Regular

Thank you everyone for the links! When I get out of work today I'll try and browse through it all and pick something. I had seen a challenge coin for the Seabees i really liked that had the can do and we build we fight mottos on it and I would love to find it as a pin. Idealy they would go on an Annapolis hat but lets see how it all plays out :) and Seebeescotty I'll pass that along and see if I can't find out his unit. Never know you guys could met somewhere along the line lol
  9. Seabeescotty

Thank you! I met some of the WW2 plank owners of MCB4 at the fifty year reunion, at the Port Hueneme Construction Battalion Center. It was a great time, with stories told, and experiences shared and compared. We had a blast, and it was truly an honor to meet some of the very first Seabees!
  10. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

This whole thread just makes a guy feel good. I can't help in the quest, but you guys sure helped me by standing up and making this come together. I love G&G!
  11. aaplayer

aaplayer G&G Regular

I passed on everyones thanks tonight and Seabea he told me to send you a great big howdy from MCB1! Thanks everyone for the help with this. I can't wait to see his face when he sees it.
  12. Seabeescotty

I knew a bunch of 'Bees from that battalion! They had a detachment at the communication station in the Philipines, when I was waiting to be transferred back to the states for school. I got to be good friends with Pete Bailey, who's nickname was Beetle, just like the comic strip. He was from upstate New York, and had one heckuva accent! Beetle, wherever you are, Merry Christmas!
  13. TNPIRATE

TNPIRATE Landlubber Pirate Forum Contributor

Seabee Sir, not to take away from the thread but there are not to many people who know how to pronounce Hueneme. Much less spell it. Just up there on Calif Highway 1 almost to Oxnard. Yep know where it's at. Pretty drive that Highway 1 once you get out of the Malibu area and get up there near Zuma Beach. But to rich for my blood.

lolThe spell check on the site didn't even know how to spell it. Thought this might be of intrest.

Port Hueneme, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:swordfight:
  14. Seabeescotty

We used to call it Port Who Needs Me! Our deployment schedule was pretty intense, being deployed for eight months, and then back in homeport for six months preparing for the NEXT deployment. It was hard on marriages and relationships, and we felt like we were ALWAYS on the go! Homeport activities were hectic, having to qualify with weapons, getting military training for whatever area we would be deployed to on the next assignment, and schools for our ratings so we could do a better job AND be ready for the promotion exams and boards. It was one of the busiest times of my life!