NEF or Rossi

Discussion in 'Rossi' started by Houston, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Houston

Houston G&G Newbie

Im wanting a new rifle. It will be mostly for deer hunting and any varmints. I am trying to decide between NEF and rossi. If anyone has any info on either one i would appreciate it. if u have owned one please tell me wat u thought of it and how it performed. Which ever one i get i was thinking a 270. If u have any suggestions or info they would be appreciated. also, what is a cheap but good in qualtiy gun?
  2. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

Houston personaly I would like to see you buy the NEF. I don't own one but theres a few folks around hear that lov'em.

I toyed with the idea of buying one in 35 Whelen not long ago.

You've got 3 models to choose from the Handi- Rifle Wood/Blued model # SB2-270 or the......
    Handi- Stainless/Synthetic model #SB2-2S7 and the Handi-Synthectic/ Blued model
    # SB2-S70.
    Call Wal-Mart's sporting goods dept. and ask them to look up the price(s) in there SPECIAL ORDER BOOK for the one's your interested in and then have them call there warehouse to see if they have it in stock...Get the price for the gun and shop with it or buy it from Wally World. Good Luck feller...A.H
  3. Lng Rng

Lng Rng G&G Newbie

Go with the NEF. I have one, and love it. Accurate and reliable. As for caliber, a .270 is good. You may want to check out 25-06 or .243 also.
  4. Houston

Houston G&G Newbie

Thanks I was leaning torward the NEF

Lng Rng, what caliber is your NEF?
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2007
  5. bigandrich44

bigandrich44 G&G Newbie

.243 would be a better choice. It can take down deer, has a WIDE selection of bullets, and has little to no recoil.
  6. Lng Rng

Lng Rng G&G Newbie

Huston, my NEF is the sidekick muzzleloader. The CVA's didn't appeal to me, and neither did the T/C's price. It is based on the NEF break action design, which is very durable.
  7. rocketmonty

rocketmonty G&G Newbie

+1:burnout:
  8. .22guy

.22guy G&G Enthusiast

I think NEF has a bette quality. I have a Rossi for my son in .22LR and fit and finish aren't the best. It works fine though.
  9. Houston

Houston G&G Newbie

I think i have decided on the NEF. I would like to here some more about what people thought about them. please if u have had one or own one let me know how performs and shoots. What caliber would you recommend for whitetail hunting in tennessee?

I would like to add to my last post. I done have a 30-30. I mostly hunt in the woods. but sometimes i hunt in a road in the woods, my longest shot would probably be around 120 yards. I was wanting a 270 but im open to any suggestions. Is a 270 a good brush gun? Will a 270 have knockdown power at close range? also, i was thinking about the 25-06. Which would be better for closer shots?
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2007
  10. bigandrich44

bigandrich44 G&G Newbie

.243 would take care of what you describe. You don't need a HUGE caliber to hunt white tail. I use a .243 on Texas and Colorado mulies, and they stop, and drop. It hits VERY hard.
  11. Houston

Houston G&G Newbie

thanks for the info bigandrich44. Does anybody out there own a NEF in 25-06? 270? 243?

308?
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2007
  12. felix cortinas

felix cortinas G&G Newbie

I aint a gun snob, I owns lots of rifles from Armalites to Weatherbys, Remingtons etc. I own a little NEF stainless Handi Rifle in .22-250, bull barrell witha 3X9 Leupold on it and will put it up against any of my other rifles for accuracy, it is cheap, hard to scar up, I have killed deer, hogs, coyotes with it, I carry it in my pickup and dont care cause I didnt pay $300 for it, for the price, you cant beat it. Rossi aint bad either, but there are gun snobs out there!!! I got several long range varmint guns that my old lady bitched about the price, but she didnt say doodly about the NEF.:scool:
  13. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

I have'nt met any gun snobs here ! Just folks passing along there experiences.
    Correction I've met a braggart here...A.H
  14. Johnny_Revolver

Johnny_Revolver G&G Newbie

I own a Rossi .308. I spent some time with it, over a fair period, and eventually got a half decent gun out of it.

Really, what Felix Cortinas says is the NEF - Rossi style rifle in a nutshell. A tough, light, reliable rifle that has its place.

The bull barrel jobs up to say, .243 can exhibit some accuracy, like inch group style accuracy if you get all the ducks to line up, the big calibre singles kick like prison booze.

Each to his own, I put a lil 4 power scope on my Rossi, don`t expect miracles and it`s served me well.

I know a guy, Niel, always wanted a 45-70, he bought an NEF in that cal and has a ball with it, for cheap.

Another guy I saw had an NEF in .17 or summin to teach his kids to shoot, its safe and pretty dang accurate into the bargain.

The criteria you`re offering us is pretty wide, you want a do all rifle. A Rossi - NEF will do it all, but like anything ` all purpose ` it `ll do it all so - so.

SO! If you wanted a deer rifle, a 270 Single shot would do the job no probs, keeping the distance to a sensible margin. A .223 or similar bull barrel NEF or Rossi would pop varmints.

There really is no such thing as a do all gun ( cept maybe a 243 Vanguard, but you dint hear that from me )

But what the hey, buy a Rossi or an NEF, it aint like its gunna break the bank. Think about a combo, check Gunbreaker, you`d get one for a song second hand.
  15. Houston

Houston G&G Newbie

NEF does make a 25-06 dont they? Would you get a NEF in 25-06 or 270?