New .223 Power Head

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Mandy, May 20, 2005.

1. Mandy

Mandy FREE CITIZEN Forum Contributor

:assult: :assult: :assult: :assult: :assult:
    Just received in the mail my new Slip-On .223 Power Head.

This device is just an aluminum cylinder machined to accept a .223 rnd and the rnd is secured inside via a rubber bushing inserted in the Power Head after the rnd.

Since this device doesn't have a firing pin, it's not considered a weapon and can be mailed anywhere.

When a shark or big predator starts harrasing you, you just slip the Power Head into the tip of your speargun and make sure the tip of the speargun is touching the primer, the bushing will hold the PH in place and then you shoot the predator, on contact, the tip will strike the primer and BOOM the bullet will go off.

It's important to notice that the bullet will not kill the predator, but the concusion resulting from the expanding gases will kill the fish, so you can use blanks and it will have the same effect. thus the need to be a contact shot.

Since it don't have a firing pin or moving parts, it's the most safe device of this kind, I've read countless storys about accidents with Power Heads using the firing pin mechanism, the Slip-On Power Head, will only fire when the tip of the spear hits the primer so you can drop it, bang it or subject it to shock and it won't fire unless it's inserted in the tip of your speargun which you do just when you need it or intend to use it.

Can't hardly wait to try this out, sadness is that right now I'm congested and cannot dive this weekend, maybe next weekend will do some testing with some plywood.

:uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi:
  2. Mandy

Moved ????

I wonder why this thread got moved, since it's the device what's important, not the ammo.

This devices come in many calibers like .357, 30-06, 44 mag, 12 ga, .40 and many more.

Anyway not many spearos here so I guess it's OK.

:full: :full: :full: :full: :full:
    Last edited: May 24, 2005
  3. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

fixed Mandy
  4. Dennis

Dennis G&G Enthusiast

I thought they where all 12 gage
  5. Mandy

:gangster: :gangster: :gangster: :gangster: :gangster:

Nope, the 12 ga is not the most popular rnd for U/W use since it's more dificult to seal a shell than a caltridge.

The most popular cal. used is the .223 followed by the .357, which can use .38, .380 and 9mm, the auto caltridges need a retaining ring similar to the ones used for fullmoon clips to hold the caltridge in place.
    Also the 44mag is very popular.
    I got the .223 since it's what the comercial fishermens use and it's very light packing a lot of punch.

To seal a caltridge, you just cover the primer with nail polish and the rim where the bullet meets the brass, just a small coat and you're set to go.

Also weight is a consideration if you're shooting the PH with you speargun, if you prefer to use a Bang Stick (a stick that you hold with the PH at one end and you poke your attacker), then weight may not be an issue.

It's very important to note that the PH are used when spearfishing as a PPD (personal protection device) against shark attacks or any big predator such as a too friendly barracuda, it's not intended to catch fish thou some people use them for that purpose.
    Some places doesn't allow the use of PHs at all so you may want to check your local laws before getting one.

:gangster: :gangster: :gangster: :gangster: :gangster:
  6. Mandy

Moved again?

Gee, I think that this is the place for it after all

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2005