New 308 or 338 AR?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by dslmtrcle, May 25, 2010.

1. dslmtrcle

dslmtrcle G&G Newbie

Can anyone provide comments or info about the 308 and 338LM F&D Defense rifles?
  2. stinkybriches

stinkybriches G&G Newbie

being that this is your first post your question strikes me as kinda fishy. but ill give you this, the recoil from the .338 lapua is gonna nock your fillings out if your not prepaired for it.
  3. phrogg

phrogg G&G Newbie

Well... $3050 retail for a copy of an AR-10 seems like too much. Probably a decent rifle, but not $3g worth.

.338 Lapua Magnum ammo is so freaking expensive that you'd end up spending $4850 on the gun, then spend it again on the first few hundred rounds for it, so... screw that. Unless you have to hit a person in the head from 1000 yards (or a target of similar size), you don't need to spend anywhere near that much on ammo. Local shop in CA wanted $80 for 20 rounds. Apparently, that's cheap.

I'd say go for an AR-10 if you want a .308 cal AR, as it's $1700 cheaper. Another option would be a match M-1A, if you want something sub-MOA. If you want a .338, don't get a semi auto - get a bolt, they're probably a lot more accurate at long range.
  4. MosinRuger

MosinRuger G&G Enthusiast

id say .308 just because of ammo price and availability, plus you dont really need .338 unless your doing some serious shooting, either one is Bada$$.

Dpms panther lr-308?
    seems to be the best price option in this category. id sure like to have one.

Also, a quick google search found several different forum with this exact posting, exact wording. alittle fishy to me.
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  5. franchi

franchi G&G Newbie

as much as i love the 338lapua i would say the 308. the ammo prices are crazy to use in a AR type platform. its not so bad if your shooting a sako and taking 5min between shots. plus you would bleed after one clip of the 338's recoil.