New Deer Camp

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Big Tool, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Big Tool

Big Tool G&G Newbie

We just recently sold our deer camp and 2,000Acres outside of Natchez. Deer season was coming soon so my dad had some guys get started on a new one on 1,600acre parcel of property we still have left in the area.

Its something we can use and the camps already being in place seem to really help sell property to hunters.

The camp is 2BR/ 2BA living Room and Kitchen. Front is going to have a big screened porch. The rest is going to be open barn type structure for storing equipment.

Outside is all cypress and inside is going to be 12' ceilings with v-groove cypress.

Floors are just going to be stained concrete. Nothing fancy but should be nice. I'm a tall guy 6'4" and I really like the high ceilings.

Dads goal was to have the whole thing done for under 100k. He has a tendancy to go over :09:

They are about 1month into the project. They should be done in 1-2weeks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Kompressor

Kompressor G&G Newbie

Nice! What winter temps do you guys have? I doesn't look like much insulation in those walls and the roof. And concrete floors are mighty cold too. But perhaps you're not using it in the winter?
  3. HEMI

HEMI G&G Newbie

very nice
  4. Earl Easter

Earl Easter G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Simply beautiful, with plenty of acres. Looks like a ship lap siding and reminds me of the construction of our place. The metal roof is a real bonus, last roof you fellas will ever have ta deal with. Thank you for the pictures and good luck hunting as the hard labor should reward all with some nice deer.
  5. Windwalker

Windwalker G&G Newbie

Looks like it will be a great place and you have plenty of acres for hunting.
  6. Dookiebutt

Dookiebutt G&G Newbie

How can you get 1600 acres and build a structure on it for under 100K?
  7. Seabeescotty

Seabeescotty G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Nice camp you're building, there! Some of us, here in Ok. would prob'ly call it home! We ain't got those kind of acres, to play on. Heck, I hunt on 25, and do pretty good. But then, we're overrun, with deer, right now!
  8. Rimjob

Rimjob G&G Newbie

I'm assuming he meant just the structure would run that much.. Maybe not.. If you can get land out there that cheap I might go out there, buy some and bring it back over here to build a house on.

BTW Big Tool, that looks awesome!! thanks for sharing the pics!!
  9. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Suspended

Big Tool,

Thanks for sharing...

...what a way to go!
  10. Kompressor

Kompressor G&G Newbie

How much is 1 acre exactly??
  11. Big Tool

Big Tool G&G Newbie

1 Acre is 43,560 sq/ft or about the size of a football field. The 1,600Acres was part of about 7,000Acres we bought last year to re-sell. We still have about 3,000Acres, but the 1,600 is the largest whole parcel we have left.

I'm glad the land is selling business wise, but I sure hope we can keep this 1,600Acre parcel. It has some huge hardwood bottoms that you just don't see anymore in South MS. We just took a dozer and worked a few trails through one of the bigger hardwood bottoms and made a path to an creek that borders the property. Apparently there was a bridge across the creek a long time ago. We found some old wooden pillars where the bridge once stood.

Here's the little creek, It is way down right now due to the lack of rain in our area. Even the Might Ms River is down low.

[​IMG]
  12. Big Tool

Big Tool G&G Newbie

Yeah, I'm kinda thinking about selling my house in town and building something similar to live in out in the country again. I'm totally new to construction so It's been very educational for me to watch it all come together in phases.

It's amazed me how fast this thing has came together. My dad has been trying to remodel a lake house on Toledo Bin in East TX for the past year and a half and it still isn't finished. He has spent more remodeling that place than this camp will cost :sad2:

Just found a couple pics of that place also. May as well share a few of it . This house is on about 26Acres. The land is what is special about this place. I don't have any pics of the land but it is basically a peninsula. with a big hill in the middle of it. Hosue sits on top of hill looking out over the lake.

These pics are before we started replacing the fixtures so it still has some funky fans and light fixtures. The house is big but was old and dated. So pretty much everything in has been replaced.

View from Living Room. The windows and doors are all new. Used too you could barely see the lake, but it's very open now.
    [​IMG]

Living Room
    [​IMG]

Kitchen. I love the floors in this place.
    [​IMG]
  13. troy2000

troy2000 Suspended

An acre is about four tenths (0.4) of a hectare, or a little less than half.