New-ish Gun Owner considering purchase of Mosin

Discussion in 'Mosin Nagant' started by DiscoRico, Jul 9, 2013.

1. DiscoRico

DiscoRico G&G Newbie

Good afternoon friends,

I'm a new-found gun owner (G19) as of last April. I don't have a lot of experience handling guns and it's safe to say that I still have a LOT to learn. I've been considering purchasing a rifle for a while, and figured I would start myself off with a .22 plinker of some sort, just to learn some rifle fundamentals. However, recently someone told me that Mosin's are relatively cheap rifles, and will probably be more worthwhile in the long run as opposed to say, a Ruger 10/22. In a nutshell, I am asking a forum of Mosin owners if buying one as "My First Rifle" is recommended.

My concerns include:

1. I've read a lot of places saying stuff about checking the finish before accepting transfer. This includes checking the crown and bore. To my untrained eye, will I miss something in the crown/bore and buy a sub-optimal gun? Or is checking the crown/bore a trivial task and easy to see problems?
    2. I've also read a lot about this 7.62x54R ammo. I'm not going to ask about shortages (because internet shopping is amazing) but rather about the corrosive aspect. I've seen it said that the ammo being corrosive isn't a problem if you keep the gun clean, and if there's one thing that I will boast about, it's that I will keep my gun(s) clean. However, that doesn't mean that the Joe I bought it from did. Is inspection of the gun for corrosion a hassle?
    3. I bought my Glock because I felt that it would be the easiest to learn on, both mechanically and shooting-ly. If possible, I would like to make a rifle purchase that will accomplish the same. I don't want my first rifle to require me an excess of time to properly handle, including cleaning and maintenance.

With those three points, is a Mosin a valuable experience as a first rifle? Or should I pick something else up?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for long-windedness.
  2. shop tom

shop tom G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Mosin.

Buy gun.

Buy ammo (corrosive or otherwise).

Shoot.

Clean.

Repeat.

tom
  3. blue fox

blue fox G&G Enthusiast

So sayeth the gurus of the Lord Mosin. Seriously buy one. Just put a recoil pad on it unless you enjoy steel butt plates.
  4. Nerd

Nerd G&G Newbie

I would call Mosins "inexpensive" rather than "cheap". Cheap (to me) implies low quality and these rifles are quite solid. What do you mean by "more worthwhile in the long run"?

Take a small Maglite flashlight with you - the kind that takes a single AAA. You can drop this into the chamber to illuminate the inside of the barrel even if you cannot remove the bolt (which can happen when gun shops install trigger locks).

No. The method(s) for dealing with the corrosive ammo have been discussed in many places and at very great length; the info is readily available. Oh, and the x54r packs a fair wallop - be prepared.

You can avoid the 'Joe' problem by buying a Mosin that has not been fired since it was re-arsenaled - likely during the Cold War. These account for the great majority of Mosins for sale at gun shops, especially the Century Arms models that come with a bayonet, sling, etc.

The good thing about buying a Cold War refurb like that is it will be covered to some degree in cosmoline - a petroleum-based preservative. The bad thing about buying a Cold War refurb like that is it will be covered to some degree in cosmoline - a petroleum-based preservative. :) See the sticky thread at the top of the page for cosmo cleaning advice.

The Mosin was designed so that GI Ivan could maintain it with minimal hassle in the field. The first time you disassemble the bolt you will wonder if you can get it back together again. You can. Just take your time, it gets easier.

Yes on the first. The second is up to you.

Go to 7.62x54r.net to learn more about the mighty Mosin.
  5. dothedrew57

dothedrew57 G&G Enthusiast

The Mosin is an awesome and very collectible rifle. Just know what your getting. You are getting a WW2 era battle rifle. Not a modern target rifle. Extra care will have to be taken if you shoot corrosive ammo(but not much).

It does pack a lot of kick and sometimes they have to be sighted in a little. I currently own 4 different mosin variants but have owned 8 over my time as a collector.

Is it a perfect first rifle? No. But nothing really is. For under $200 its still a great rifle and an awesome piece of history. I would say get one while you still can. If you ever have any questions PM me. I would be happy to help you.
  6. DiscoRico

DiscoRico G&G Newbie

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I was under the impression that all of the x54R ammo was corrosive. See FAQ #8 Mosin Nagant FAQs

Also, what's the difference between the hex receiver and the round? Is it worth shelling out for the hex? I.e. is there a difference?

Again, thanks for all the replies.
  7. Nerd

Nerd G&G Newbie

The operative word in that FAQ is surplus. If you're buying crates or spam cans of ammo, that's military surplus (milsurp) ammo and it will be corrosive. There is also new production non-corrosive x54r ammo available but it will be pricy - well over $1/round in most cases.

Hex receivers aren't as common and will generally cost a little more; the same goes for the laminate stocks. 7.62x54r.net has a lot of good info on hex vs round.
  8. DiscoRico

DiscoRico G&G Newbie

Thanks again.

Finally: what should be my target price? I found a couple posts from 2011 that list M91/30's for about $90 + tax. Slickguns is showing me current "deals" at around $180 plus-minus $30 depending on model and shipping. Is this a good price?
  9. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

Welcome to G&G & the world of firearms, from Alaska.

Most folks bought Mosin rifles, because they were cheap to purchase.
    If I was a new gun owner, I would defiantly buy the Ruger 10/22 over a Mosin. Start small and work your way up in calibers!

But then again, I might be a bit biased.
    As I like Mosins, about as much as like disco! :yuck:
    :throwup:

:nana:
  10. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

I was very reluctant to buy my first Mosin Nagant. How good could an old Russian made WW II rifle be? And after being trained for cold war years how shoddy Russian manufactured stuff was. I mean they had to be so cheap for some reason!

Now I own 12, and am looking for MORE!
  11. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

A Mosin is a great rifle, and excellent for a beginner, just know that those distant past prices of $90 probably won't get you one you'd actually want anymore.
    Here lately most I've seen were in the $200 range. It's still a great price for what you get, especially compared to a modern rifle in that range, however the days of the $50 to $100 MN are long gone.
    In 2002, I think, these were $50. In 2007, when I got my first, they were $80, in 2011 when I talked a friend into his first they were $143. The cheapest gun store in my town runs them for $243 with accessories and the cheapest one in my Dad's area has some beaters in the $150 range, and some nice Hexes in the $220 range. I saw a sucker buy a beater for $300 cash at the flea market not long ago.
  12. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

Ganny, what are MNs running down your way these days? We're more or less at opposite ends of the state, so I'm just curious.
  13. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

I have yet to see any in pawn shops around here. The last ones I saw were at an Abba Temple Shrine gun show. I believe they were right around $150 then, but that was what I considered way too much back then. Since I have a C&R, every one I have acquired except the very first was online. I'm talking prices varying from $69.95 to almost three hundred! (Remington Mosin Nagant, probably my most expensive one) Still looking to find a deal now for a Finn M28.
  14. draidt

draidt G&G Newbie

Mosin's are like potato chips bet you cant only own one :veryhappy:

I have 3 91/30's , 2 with hex receivers, 1 with a laminate stock , A M38 and a M44. I cannot say which one is my favorite all shoot very good. They definitely draw attension at the range from the uninitiated. Corrosive ammo is not a problem as long as you clean the bore in a reasonable amount of time, A 30-30 bore snake works fine. I have 3 surplus unopened tins of 440 rounds each. My last one was a 91/30 Laminate round reciever from Classic Arms. I picked it up from my FFL transfer dealer checked the barrel for obstructions took it to the range and placed a 6 inch pattern at 100 yards with 5 rounds. Made in 1928.
  15. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

A 22 is a very viable firearms for anyone. not just a novice.

I have a bunch of Mosin Nagants. (15 to be exact) However they are not suitable for everyone just because they are inexpensive, readily available, and cheap ammo exists for them. A lot of people are simply not comfortable with the level of recoil they produce, they aren't easy to scope like many rifles are, they aren't finished as nicely as even the cheapest new production rifle. The fit and finish would best be described as crude except for a few exceptions. Most though are functional and offer decent accuracy if the bore is good and suitable ammo is available.

My caution up front is that they are not comparable to a Remington 700, a Winchester Model 70, a Savage 10/110, or a number of other modern bolt actions, but they can typically be had for considerably less money too. They are a functional, centerfire, bargain priced, crudely made, milsurp rifle, based on a design that is over a century old designed to be manufactured, maintained , and carried by peasant labor and conscript soldiers; nothing more nothing less.
  16. thrillbilly

thrillbilly G&G Evangelist

I love Mosins, but I would say get a .22 rifle first, if youve never shot rifles much.

Learn the basics on a platform that is cheap to shoot and wont recoil you to death if you wanna shoot 500 rounds in one day.

I aint a 10/22 fan, but I am a .22 fan! Lots of good cheap used bolt and semiauto .22s for sale used.

With the right ammount of shopping, you could buy a Mosin AND a used .22 for not much more then a new 10/22 or maybe less.

For example, I have

125$ in my Mosin m44
    100$ in my Romanian m69 .22

so 225$ for both.

But I would still buy the .22 rifle first or at same time, learn the basics on it, will be more pleasant all the way around.
  17. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

Yeah....WOOSES!

I keed, I keed.
  18. MosinRuger

MosinRuger G&G Enthusiast

My first gun was a 10/22, the second was a mosin nagant 91/30.

I still have both ~5 years later.

I would get the 10/22, it get shot far more than the mosin, yes the mosin is affordable, fun to shoot and powerful, it is often times just too much gun for the situation. The recoil is not for everyone, I can handle it but it still leaves my shoulder sore for the day. i can shoot the .22 all day long so can other people.
  19. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

4 year old kids can shoot a .22. Only Girlie men can't take the Mosin.....once again, J/K.
  20. thrillbilly

thrillbilly G&G Evangelist

it is laughable how people act like the mosin kicks!

Even the m38 isnt bad, heck it is barely noticable.

I sure dont see why people buy wussy pads for them lol

the only time the mosin bites a little is when i was using really odd ''make-do'' bench and in low prone. both of which put the buttplate on the top of the shoulder instead of in the shoulder pocket. And even that wasnt bad.

and BTW, congrats on the G19! love that lil gun, one is in my waistband as I type this.