New Magpul AFG (Angled Forearm Grip) and thumb break grip method

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Darkfront, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Darkfront

Darkfront G&G Enthusiast

I just picked up the Magpul AFG the other day and installed it onto my AR. I was very skeptical at first, but after handling it in person, I'm quite taken with it.

Let me clarify that the AFG was really designed for a specific shooting technique to replace the standard vertical forearm grips. Magpul Dynamics (their training school) calls this the thumb break method. It's very similar to a split fingered grip where two fingers are on the magwell and two fingers are on the forearm. The thumb is placed alongside the forearm or over it, as opposed to fully gripping the VFG like a handle.

The benefits to the thumb break grip are increased muzzle control during rapid engagement. It's much more natural as your thumb and index fingers of your support side hand feel like it's pointing the weapon, due to your hand being closer to the bore axis. This is very similar to straight thumb methods of pistol shooting. Compare this to holding it like a handle, where there is a tendency to swing through your point of aim because of the inertia overcoming your stabilizer muscles in that grip style.

Additionally, the thumb break method places more weight onto larger muscle groups like your biceps because the hand supinates and turns a little more.

By using a VFG as more of an index for a consistent grip, coupled with the thumb break grip, you have faster muzzle on target with less swing through, as well as the bottom two fingers of your support side hand having enough leverage to pull the weapon into the shoulder for recoil management.

With this in mind, the Angled Foregrip really does increase the ergonomics of the thumb break method. Your fingers aren't so scrunched up on the VFG to forearm transition area. My main concern was the lack of leverage for recoil control compared to a standard VFG, but the handstop and finger groove help a lot in this respect. Also, it's easier to put the thumb over the forearm for extra control, or to the side for pointing or activating a momentary push switch on a rail mounted light.

The weight is more than manageable at just a few ounces of polymer, and like all Magpul products, it feels like it will take a beating. The downside is that there is no storage space for batteries like in a VFG, and it takes quite a premium of rail space.

It may not speed up my match times, but I'm pretty damn sure it'll be more comfortable. I highly suggest you check these out if you're into any sort of practical or action shooting.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  2. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Enthusiast

I was wondering about those...how heavy is it compared to a typical polymer vertical grip?
  3. ZombieHunter

ZombieHunter Suspended

Just checked the Magpul website, did not see it listed. Link?
  4. Darkfront

Darkfront G&G Enthusiast

5. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

The vertical foregrip thumb break method is something Ive been using for about a year and a half now and I like it. Besides the combat applications a lot of competition shooters have been doing it or a close variation of it as well of late. You get a lot more radial control over the front end of your weapon than you do with a standard vertical grip. Its a lot easier to drive the carbine onto the next target a lot faster and with more control.

If you have never tried this grip, either Vertical foregrip thumb break or the AFG method it seems a little odd when you first try it but it grows on you.

im probably going to get one of these, they are only $33 too. One of my friends just got one and hes impressed enough to be ordering 2 more for his other rifles.

[​IMG]
  6. jrswanson1

jrswanson1 G&G Newbie

I just bought one (OD Green) and will be trying it out on my 6.8 carbine. It's more of a hunting rig, but hey, I might break down and try it in a 3-Gun shoot and see how well I do. We'll see.

Jim
  7. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Enthusiast

A person can get used to anything. Personally, I can't see it being more comfy for me. I like my thumb wrapping around the grip as it's stronger. My favorite position is with my thumb wrapped, but my index finger running along the forearm. It's like a cross between the two.