New member with S&W 39-2 wants info

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by pathfinder, Feb 4, 2007.

1. pathfinder

pathfinder G&G Newbie

I've just been gifted a Smith and Wesson model 39-2 with 2 clips. I would like to find out date of manufacture, but have no idea where to look. Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance.
  2. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

The first alloy model 39 Smiths were mfg. starting 1954 with ser. # 1,001-105,000.The Steel frame Model 39 was made in 1966. The alloy frame 39-2 was made 1970-1982. I think only 927 Steel framed models were made in 1966, in 3 serial # ranges.
    Rich
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  3. prochi2k

prochi2k G&G Newbie

Pathfinder,
    You can purchase a Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson. It has a lot of information regarding manufacturing dates and all.
    If you can post a partial serial # with the last 2 digits exed out, I might be able to give approximate date it was manufactured.
  4. pathfinder

pathfinder G&G Newbie

Serial on 39-2

Serial on this (I believe) steel frame is A5346xx.
    Thanks for any info you can add.

I'm also looking for a source for a take-down (field strip) manual.
  5. prochi2k

prochi2k G&G Newbie

Last edited: Feb 10, 2007
  6. TheJoker

TheJoker G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

"...upon the east bank of Big Blue River, a mile o
    I love my model 39-2. I've taken FR&I training twice with my 39. Of course, everyone else were using glocks. Sure...I spent a lot more time reloading...but, I got several offers to buy my 39 by the end of the weekend.

Here is some additional info:

The Smith and Wesson Model 39 was the first U.S. designed double action (DA) semi-automatic pistol marketed in the United States. The German Walther P-38 DA pistol impressed American ordnance personnel during World War 2. The Army Ordnance Corps issued a proposal for an American equivalent to the P-38. In 1949, Smith and Wesson began development of the Model 39 DA semi-auto in caliber 9x19mm Luger. Smith and Wesson began selling the Model 39 commercially in 1955. This is considered a first generation pistol. Since the Model 39 came out, S&W has continuously developed the design into its third generation pistols now on the market.

The Model 39 uses a conventional slide, barrel bushing, slide arrangement as opposed to the exposed barrel arrangement of the P-38. Model 39 locking is done by a modification of the Browning P35 (High Power) cam-locked breech. First generation Model 39 slides used either a long, spring steel extractor or a spring-loaded, pivoting claw extractor. Long extractors tended to be fragile and were replaced by the pivoting type. However, the long extractor would extract ANY kind of 9mm Luger round (domestic or foreign) and the pivoting type was picky.

The Model 39 employs a decocking safety that disconnects the trigger and hammer similar to the P-38. The Model 39 uses a single-stack magazine like the P-38 (actually, S&W copied the German magazine and added a magazine catch cutout.) The Model 39 (like the P-38) carries 8 rounds in its magazine, plus 1 in the chamber, for a maximum of 9. The overall length of the Model 39 is 7.6 inches, the barrel is 4 inches long, and its weight is 1.72 pounds. Light weight is a characteristic of the Model 39 due to its aluminum frame and a steel slide/barrel.

The Model 39 was used by Naval Special Warfare units during the Viet Nam War. The Model 39 was issued to officers-in-charge (OICs) of MST-2 detachments as their sidearm. SEAL Teams used either the Model 39 without modification or a modified version, the Mk 22 Mod 0, was called the "hush puppy." The modified pistol had a silencer with a slide lock. Its purpose was to eliminate sentry dogs or guards without alarming the main target.

In service, the Model 39 was adequate but not reliable when exposed to mud and dirt. It was never in the same league as the M1911-series .45 or Browning P35 9mm. The Model 39 is obsolete in Naval Special Warfare units.
  7. wmlar

wmlar G&G Newbie

You can find out the date of manufactur by contacting Smith & Wesson and giving them the serial number on the gun. I just did the same thing last month for my S&W Model 39-2 it turned out to of been manufactured in 1976. The serial number on my gun started with an A******
  8. Freedom_1

Freedom_1 G&G Newbie

Pathfinder asked, " I'm also looking for a source for a take-down (field strip) manual." No one answered.

I also have a Mod 39-2, A146xxx, from the 1970's. My son covets it although he has Glocks and another S&W. I have no idea how to field strip the 39-2. Can anyone help?

TIA.
  9. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

The NRA Firearms Assembly #4 book has the breakdown of parts and disassembly procedure for that pistol.
    Rich
  10. Taylor joy

Taylor joy G&G Newbie

neeed help to find parts

i need help to find a slide to a 39-2:feedback:
  11. Zigman

Zigman G&G Newbie

S&W 39-2 (new find)

Ok guys, sometimes good guns come our way. I just got my hands on a S&W 39-2 in the box. Not sure if has ever been shot. 1978 version and all it's paper works. It is a great gun. Not even a smug or fingerprint on it. That is clean.
  12. big boomer

big boomer G&G Enthusiast

The 39 is a very nice gun. My friend has one.
  13. pygmalian1

pygmalian1 G&G Newbie

I purchased a new Model 39-2 in 1971. Think I paid $130 for it. Great gun. Have fired hundreds of rounds through it with no problem. As far as the question about disassembly, 1st, as with any firearm, be certain it's unloaded, mag out and no round in chamber, then slide the slide back so the slide lock pin is right below the small opening on the left lower side of the slide. I use a Sharpie, with cap on it, to push it in from the opposite side. May not come out easy. While keeping the slide back in that position pull the lock pin from the left side through until it's out. Then push the slide forward and off. It's not hard to figure out from there. Kept mine in great shape for years until I kept it inside of a rolled up sleeping bag for awhile. When I removed it I found it was rust pitted on parts of the slide. Steelwooled them off and don't worry about it anymore. The pits don't bother me. It's not that I'd ever get rid of it anyway. I carry it for protection and keep it loaded with Black Talons. Betcha can't find those anymore. Hope this helped.
  14. Eagle6206

Eagle6206 G&G Newbie

My 39-2 is shooting low. Using PCM ammo 115 gr. I need to place the rear site to the front at the angle/vertical point for a accurate shot. How can this be corrected.
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  15. TheJoker

TheJoker G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

"...upon the east bank of Big Blue River, a mile o
    Honestly, it's probably you. I had the same problem until I took a tactical shooting class with my model 39-2. The instructor showed me that I was pulling the barrel down when pulling the trigger. He worked with me to improve my grip and taught me a method of pulling the trigger at the trigger reset instead of allowing it to come forward. After about 200 rounds of practice and instruction, my groups were literally 8 inches higher and half the size at 21 yards with no sight adjustment.
  16. johnny holloway

johnny holloway G&G Newbie

Clip for S&W 39-2

:feedback:I need a clip for my 39-2.where can I purchase one?Thanks
  17. Jimbo Indy

Jimbo Indy G&G Newbie

Magazines for the first and second generation 39's are available through Midway. They carry Smith & Wesson factory mags which work great. I use these in my 639 which is a second generation and stainless but the mags are the same. The current production mags are stainless steel and really heavy duty. They normally run about $39 each but are sometimes on sale for about $33.
  18. Freedom_1

Freedom_1 G&G Newbie

I misplaced my extra factory mag and bought a replacement.

Beware imitations. I bought a ProMag (ProMag Industries) magazine for my 39-2 (S&W M39 9MM 8 RDS). A mistake. The mag fits in the grip but is so tight that it won't eject. I need to contact them but haven't got A Round Tuit.
  19. johnny holloway

johnny holloway G&G Newbie

need 39-2 clip

I also need to buy a clip for my 39-2 smith.Wife hid clip to keep pistol safe from kids,now she cannot remember where she put it.Need help////////
    Thanks
    Johnny